It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

trobinson HB User
Burning alive

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is having a good pain day. I woke up to the burning sensations again. It feels like I am on fire from the inside out. I just want to scream. My eyes are burning the worst. I'm at work now and everyone is in a great mood because of the upcoming holiday weekend. I am just the big grumpy one. I'm sweating from the pain and have a fan on at my desk while everyone else is cold in here. I really am the odd gal out. Sorry for complaining..just needed to vent.

P.S. Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all of our veterans.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: trobinson
FibroButBlessed (05-27-2012), sjb (05-26-2012), Vocrinthedes (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User
Re: Burning alive

Hi Tro,

I've had fibromyalgia most of my life (though it wasn't "labeled" until the '80's), but I understand not only the burning sensation all over but also the feeling isolated in a crowd because you're the only one feeling bad, and nobody really understands when you try to explain. At least, now, thanks to media marketing, the term "fibromyalgia" is familiar to more people. Imagine decades ago, when I didn't even have a word for the pain I was in - pain without any other symptoms to indicate some illness.

One thing I've found through the years is that oftentimes it is something I ate that seems to trigger these bouts of pain, whether burning, extreme sensitivity all over, or flu-like aches. It could be the night before without any immediate effect (my MD said it's a "sensitivity", not an "allergy")...but in the middle of the night or the next morning! OW!!!

My particular triggers are dairy products (always give me aches) and certain acidy foods, esp. tomatoes and citrus. Others like cherries, blueberries, cranberries, not much problem. Maybe you can note and associate things you've eaten within the past 12 hours with your bouts of fibro pain.

Another trigger for pain is sudden change in barometric pressure (I know this sounds wacko, but I know many fellow FM sufferers who agree). I sometimes wake up hurting in the middle of the night only to discover that it's raining outside (which means the baro. pressure has changed).

Something that sometimes gives me some quick relief, but maybe not everyone, is to take the dose of baking soda as described on the box - 1/2 teaspoon in a 1/2 glass of water. My doctor actually suggested this, something about decreasing my acidity. It seems to take the edge off.

Vocrin

The Following User Says Thank You to Vocrinthedes For This Useful Post:
trobinson (05-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi welcome to the board! Some people have noticed that if they have too much potassium as a supplement or in the diet they burn more in the body. Peace and have a nice day!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
trobinson (05-30-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi welcome to the board! Some people have noticed that if they have too much potassium as a supplement or in the diet they burn more in the body. Peace and have a nice day!
As we know, each of us has different sensitivities - I have not found this to be true with my fibromyalgia. In fact, a potato a day (the richest vegetable source of potassium) helps keep my blood pressure down and my legs from aching - I've never experienced burning in relation to potassium.

However, I HAVE experienced an overall burning sensation after eating lots of tomatoes/tomato sauce or after taking concentrated garlic pills for a few days. With all the tomatoes, cheese (dairy) and garlic, Italian food is the very worst for my FM (and of course, I love Italian food!).

This brings us back to the fact that each person will have to keep track of what they consumed previous to a flare-up of FM. But like so many things in life, it's not always that simple. Many find no apparent connection between food and the intensity of their fibromyalgia. However, I think we all agree that stress and lack of sleep are universal triggers.

Vocrin

The Following User Says Thank You to Vocrinthedes For This Useful Post:
trobinson (05-30-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
(female)

FibroButBlessed HB UserFibroButBlessed HB User

Trobinson - you rant away!! It really helps me to read and/or write on this board knowing there are people who really, really understand me.

One of my triggers is any kind of food coloring. It will make me sick all over, and cause me to have a kidney/bladder infection. Food coloring is in so many things you don't even think about. Might try being aware of that.

For the burning and/or itching, I will use Aloe Vera gel (pretty thick layer) all over arms, hands, feet, legs chest, - anywhere that needs it, and turn the ceiling fan on high. Lay back in the recliner and shut my eyes - kinda feels like I'm on the North Pole with a helicopter sitting next to me!!

Of course, this probably wouldn't be a good idea for the work place. But, if it gets bad enough........shed your clothes.....smear the gel....and face all the fans toward your chair. Be sure to keep your eyes closed, cause no one else in the office will be able to shut theirs'!!! But, I bet they might take your pain more seriously........or then, again, might just send you home for the day......either way, it's a win/win..........I'm just sayin'.........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FibroButBlessed For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-27-2012), trobinson (05-30-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I suppose rest is very important to help relax muscles but a daily walk is also important since the body is made for movement.

trobinson (05-30-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi according to one site aloe vera gel is known to deplete potassium levels, very interesting. Most substances whether natural or chemical absorb into the skin within 27 seconds I have been told. Thank you very much, for I know someone with a potassium level that was too high.

trobinson (05-30-2012)
Closed Thread