It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

Girlcoastie HB User
Severe allergic reaction to Savella

Has anyone had a severe allergic reaction to Savella? I experienced a host of the common side effects that I have seen reported by others with this drug (nausea, hypertension, irritability, anxiousness, anger, dry mouth, increased heart rate, and more etc), but also an extreme allergic reaction--my face swelled up (not my tongue or throat) but eyes, nose, lips (slightly) and just my face in general. According to the drug company info, this is considered a severe allergic reaction and one should seek emergency medical care. It was a weekend (of course it was) but I called my rheumie doc's practice and got the service. They got the on-call doc to call me back and he said, yes, I was in fact allergic. I immediately began the taper down to get off this drug (so I wouldn't go through withdrawal). I am almost done with the complete taper off but I am still swollen. Has this happened to anyone? And how long does it take for this drug to be completely gone from your system?--Meaning, when can I expect my blood pressure to return to normal and my swelling to go down? I can't find anything concrete about this when I google it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apparently have a huge hypersensitivity to a lot of drugs--some are outright allergies, some are just side effects that are so awful I can't tolerate the drug and the benefits don't outweigh the side effects.

Peace,
Girlcoastie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Severe allergic reaction to Savella

hi coastie,
were you told to wean off? an allergic reaction like that usually requires immediate cessation of the drug and meds to counter act the reactions. i suggest you call your doc back to confirm this is what they want you to do and then call your pharmacist to discuss how long it takes to get back to normal. till you are off it i doubt you will be without allergic symptoms.
i must admit i am surprised you are still taking it. how long were you on this drug? personally when i go allergic i quit and get thru whatever i have to if i was on it a long time. forget weaning when my body says no,no,no.
please keep me posted on how you are doing. this is a concern.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

Girlcoastie HB User

Blue Lake Lady--
Well, the on call doc seemed to think that i could attempt a taper off to avoid the withdrawal that would surely come with an immediate discontinuation. I was willing to give it a try. He, of course wanted me to call my doc on the Monday, & keep aware of an increase in swelling or other parts affected like throat or tongue. So far so good as far as throat & tongue. Other swelling not decreasing yet. I put the call into my doc & am frustrated. He called me back the 1 & only time i was w/out my cell for 5 min!! I am on the last 2 days of taper off & will be drug free Monday. I have appt w/ rheumie on Thurs. A bit frustrated w/ his unresponsiveness & the fact that he put me on savella to begin with since i had hypertension, albeit well controlled w/ HCTZ but now its out of control. Sorry for the rant. Just frustrated after being on medical roller coaster for 6 months. I've had Fibro fir 17 years & lived last 10 incredibly well, until Jan 2012. My sleep tanked & i've been in & out of flares for 6 months straight, trial & error w/ different sleep drugs, these other FM drugs, terrible side effects, drug allergies, had a sleep study & i'm just worn out. Again, my apologies for the rant. I know I'll get well again but its tough gettin there.
Peace,
Girlcoastie

Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi coastie,
no apology needed. i know the roller coaster well and there are times i consider demolishing the roller coaster, giggle. did your "doctor" mention any meds like otc benadryl to help alleviate the symptoms? it has been my security blanket more than once over the past 18 years. i am glad you will be clean soon. a bit confused. on savella because you had hypertension?
bummer your doc is a bit uncommunicative. can you replace him? i won't take the meds touted for fibro. if we do not have a cause how can we have a fix it pill? just me. i know others are helped by them.
i too am on a bit of a coaster with meds for sjogrens right now so i can empathize with you on the whole doctor/pill thing. it is not fun. it does make things worse. it's really messing with the fibro in my body. up and down, allergic, sensitive, you name it.
upside is my doctors know i am the boss of this body, not them. there are 14 of them and one of me. one person must be in charge and that is me. my body, my job.
just had a chat with my rheumy. he wrote the directions on a med improperly and i took it as he wrote it. then i called him about it. i got such an apology when i read the bottle to him. be literal, be specific. i got up his fanny about it, nicely of course but firmly.
you take care of you as best you can. remember you can say no to a drug and, giggle, most fun of all, say no to doctors. it's okay to tell them to think of something else. to say let me research that and think about it first. my docs are so used to that they tell me to go read up on something and let them know if i want to try it. that's training! giggle.
hugs to your poor face and mind. give him hades for not being available. did you call him back after the missed call?
peace,
blue

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi coastie, I agree with what blue says about getting rid of a doc who doesn't help you. I did try Savella, my rheumy finally got me to try it. He never suggests a new med without giving me info on it and letting me research it. Then he tells me to call and let him know if I want to take it. I agreed to take the Savella because one of the side effects was weight loss. Not for me.....I gained 15 pounds on it.....giggle. I agreed to try it for the 3 months it is suppose to take to work. Other than weight gain, my side effect was constipation.....severe constipation. I worked with the med, but gave it up about 3 wks shy of the 3 months. I just quit cold turkey, no need to taper off. I was going up and down with dosages anyway trying to get the constipation under control.
Savella is nothing but and old anti depressant (malniciprin) that the pharmaceutical company put a new label on and called it a fibromyalgia drug. Again, like blue says, if they don't know what causes fibro how can they say a drug cures it. My rheumy had wanted me to try an anti depressant for a long time and I refused.....for that matter so did my PCP. I told my PCP off about the depression thing when she tried to tell me that she finds that all of her patients with fibro suffer from depression. We got along fine after that and I let my rheumy know that I don't need anti D's, and of course I proved it to him. Like blue says, it is my body and I am in control. And if my docs don't take me serious and don't communicate....well what good are they. They disappear from my life and I find one who will communicate.
I also agree with blue, that if a drug is causing you such severe side effects you should be able to stop taking it immediately. Keep us posted as how you are doing.

Glojer

Closed Thread