It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Inline skating and fibro

I can think of a million and one reasons why it might not be a good idea to try inline skating - just wondering if anyone else with fibro has done it and the consequences - I know I'll need to be ultra careful not to fall (almost impossible I should imagine - LOL!!) not to over stretch my strides and build it up gently (have only ever roller skated badly when I was a child and not down inline skating!). I know I'll need to be padded from head to toe (full body armour comes to mind) I'm thinking though that if I can get to grips with this it might be a great form of exercise done gently as it works all body parts (including the brain!!)

What do you think and any of you do it????

Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Inline skating and fibro

I went rollerskating last year and was soo sore the next day. Felt very unstable, it had been about 20 years since I have laced up a pair of skates. I never did go back out of fear that i'd trip over my feet. I should have gone again as it's great exercise but one fall on my butt would not be to good for my back.

It was kind of funny because I used to be pretty darn good on roller skates, and in my head i could feel the right thing to do. My feet just did not cooperate with my brain.

If you start easy and feel stable and safe I say go for it. Inline is more like ice skating than rollerskating and we all know that even at limited amounts exercise is good for us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

My concern is about falling too - a friend knows someone who will give me some lessons so I'm hoping that will help

Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sweet,
start by skating on carpeting around your house. that's how i started again. i can't do inline, weak ankles. never could ice skate but i could kick booty on roller skates. it's really good for the butt muscles. giggle. there are no streets with sidewalks to skate on where i live so i gave mine away.
give it a try girl. sounds like fun tho i would skip the inline for good ole fashioned skates. giggle. know your limits and excel within them. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Old fashioned skates may well be the answer - everyone keeps saying how challenging they inline skates are - and whilst I love a challenge I need to remember I have fibro and the consequences of taking on too big a challenge!!

Closed Thread