It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User
Hugs, thanks etc.

Hi Everyone.
As some of you will know I have only recently returned to the boards. My mood is bad and little things annoy me. I am going to say something that might make me unpopular.
We all like to be thanked and we all like to be acknowledged, but I am uncomfortable with the way this is now being done on the boards. My issue is that this information appears with a person's basic profile, almost like it has become a competition to see who can be seen to have sent and received the most hugs and thanks. Does the fact that a person might have a higher count in hugs and thanks give them a form of hierarchy within the boards. Is their opinion or comment any more or less relevant than a person with a lower count. I think not, so why have it. Am I missing something in this or perhaps I am just in a crappy mood these days.
Brend.

The following user gives a hug of support to brend:
bluelakelady (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Hugs, thanks etc.

Hi brend, welcome back! I remember some good conversations with you. I don't think you were offensive or would be unpopular for what you said. It is an opinion and that is certainly allowed. I guess I don't think of it as a competition, just a friendly hug or thank you. I am not as consistent as others though about using them and/or being on the boards for that matter.

Glad you are back and hope you are feeling better soon.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the reply and it is comforting to hear from a familiar name.
brend

Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi brend,
sorry you are having a poopy mood day. as for the hugs and thanks thing, it's just a thing. a way of saing thanks or offering a hug when we don't really feel up to typing a note. personally i never look at people's totals. what they have to say matters most.
i was here before we had this tool. for myself i find it an easy way to say i am thinking of you without using energy i may not have that day to speak to you. "you" being anyone here. giggle.
take a deep breath and relax your mind.
peace,
blue

Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Hope today is better for you . I hate when I am moody for days so I understand where you're coming from. As far as the hugs and thanks thing I don't pay much attention to who has how many. I like it cuz sometimes I can't post a reply due to foggy brain so I like to give a hug or thanks to let the person know that I am acknowledging them

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hello
Can I ask what caused you to question it? Is there a post about it or something? I hope I'm not coming off wrong... I'm just curious...
Like the others, I don't pay any attention. There are certain members you see more than others. But even if I don't recognize someone's name, I still like to see what they have to say & don't look at how many hugs or thanx they get. I have noticed Blue has sooo many "Thank You"'s, but it's just something I have noticed. She has been here a long time & really deserves for it to be noticed. She has been there for all of us when we needed help or support. So I do like the fact that atleast she is being acknowledged. This board wouldn't be the same without her. She was one of the main people that helped me accept & take control of my fibro after I was diagnosed. There are things she said that I'll never forget because the words were so helpful.
I don't think I push the hug or thank you buttons enough. I mainly like to say Thank You. But when someone really deserves a big Thank You or Hug, I like to push the buttons. I also love the fact that we can click on them when we read a post but don't have anything to say. I will admit, I usually have something to say

Anyhow, I get annoyed with little things often, usually noises... It's hard to control & seems the more pain & exhaustion we feel, the wort it is...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 06-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
(male)

Hi Tori,

You asked what caused me to question this and I think you answered it in your last paragraph. I have been having a few bad days and my moods are all over the place. This just got into my head and I had to air it.

Hearing that most people are hardly aware of the hugs,thanks etc is, I suppose, what I hoped or maybe needed to hear.

I still don't see the need for it but that is just my opinion.

I agree with you about Blue being such a good and helpful person who deserves to be acknowledged and thanked. She got me through a very difficult time and I owe her big time for her help. I have and will continue to thank her, but not by pushing a button. I guess it is just my way and I stress I do not mean or want to cause any offence.

Brend

Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hello
I don't think anyone took offense. Luckily everyone seems to be open minded & don't judge others opionions or feelings. That's the wonderful thing about this board
I like to actually type the "Thank You" in my replies. Just sometimes seems like there is nothing else to say so the button is quick & easy. Lol

Are you taking anything for anxiety? I take generic Wellbutrin called Bupropion. It help me control my stress & take life as more of a stride... Like right now, I have had renters setting fire in our rental house, broken windows, broken doors & I think they are girders because I have never seen so much stuff. It's really bad... They haven't paid rent in 2 months so it's hurt us really bad financially. But instead of stressing & making myself sick, I'm able to focus on getting them out... They are supposed o be out today. Then we will be making dump runs, fixing stuff, ect. I have a house flipper interested so I may take the easy way out, sell & be done... Anyhow, I love my anti-anxiety med. it helps me sooo much.
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Say brend, do you think it is a guy thing about the hugs and thanks thing.....giggle. Would that be to a guy like making little hearts over your i to dot it.....giggle....giggle! You know I didn't think about just giving a hug or thanks when you are in a hurry or don't really have much to comment. It's a good idea though.

I agree Blue and goldenwings pulled me through a really tough time when my husband was getting chemo and the aftermath of what it did to his body. This was a few years back. Pushing a button is not enough thanks for that.

Glojer

Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
(male)

Glojer.
Maybe your right, a guy thing. I'll have to work on getting more in touch with feminine side. Or maybe i'm just being a grouchy old fart.

Tori.
I am taking xanax for two weeks now. working but but enought. In another post of mine I have been discussing weaning off cymbalta. Until a few weeks ago I was mostly even tempered and then the horrors of cymbalta withdrawal set in. The nice Brend will be back soon, I hope.
Good luck with your renters. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and the night before they renters from hell were to move out they through a wild party and thrashed the house. I got an offer and sold the house before I even started to clean up. The property market collapsed within three months and has not recovered. The current value would be 40% the price I got.
Sometimes things just work out. Good luck.

Brend

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

okay, i am blushing. all your words tori, brend and glojer humble me. i am deeply honored you think so kindly toward me. no thanks is ever needed. seeing you all grow and be more than you were, to find your peace, your voice is a joyful song to me.
i am blown away that people listen to me. giggle.
so hugs and thanks and most of all peace,
blue

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blue- We love you & I agree, pushing a button isn't Thanks enough for all you do to help us through such tough times...

Brend- i think out grouchy sides are there when we hurt the most... Unfortunetly all we can do is try to feel better... You'll get there... I'm not liking your doctor though... I agree with what blue said in the other post, bug the crap out of them till they listen & help you...
My husband is helping the renter move. He doesn't think des on drugs like we thought... She just has the wrong friends & they all flaked out in helping her move. Unfortunetly there is so much work to do after the work of moving her is over... I am thinking about doing a lease, rent to own... 2 yr contract so I could sell it for more than what I'll get from the house flipper... But I dunno... It'll all work out...
You sold at a great time! I bought the house in 02 before the market went up... Thankfully... I wanted I sell about 7 yrs ago but my ex wouldn't let me move a half hour away to live where we are now. I would have been able to sell before the market went down & could of had a $60k profit. But by the time the court let me move, the market had crashed so been renting it out since... Would be nice to just be done with it...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread