It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

rchar HB User
Unhappy Painful ribcage

I have had pain in my left upper chest for some time. I've had bouts of pleurisy and pericarditis, but this constant pain they say is costocondritis. Not sure about that, as they say you can recreate the pain if you press on it. Mine does NOT hurt when pressed upon. But as i said i have constant pain. Some days it's so so, others its bad. But one thing i have noticed, and wondered if others have too. When i wake in the morning, i feel as if my whole entire ribcage hurts. Even on the right side, and the lower ribcage, where i've never had much of an issue. It's just an all over ache, and i can with certainty pinpoint it to my ribcage. Even before i get out of bed, i can feel it ache, and rolling over or moving aggravates it more til i get up and get going and i guess "loosen up". Anyone else have this first thing in the morning?

The following user gives a hug of support to rchar:
mom477 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: Painful ribcage

I don't recall ever having the rib cage pain before. Hope it eases up for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

I don't have the chosto-whatever. I hope someone responds soon who does. I have seen a lot of mention of it here and there, and I think I'ld google it and the word symptoms. Thought I'ld respond and move you to the top of the page for the morning people.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi, I have costocondritis. For me it comes and goes, I have ended up in the ER on one occasion because the pain was so bad I was convinced I was having a heart attack. The doctor there told me this is fairly common. For me the pain starts in my breast bone spreads to my ribs and up into my jaw and I feel like my chest is being crushed. My doctor said that the cartilage between the ribs and breast bone becomes inflamed and swells and that the severe pain comes because the oesophagus goes into spasm.

He advised me to drink ice cold water to stop the spasm, and this really works for me. It just takes the edge of it until the anti inflamatories and pain killers kick in. The soreness usually lasts for 3 or 4 days.

I hope this makes sense in a massive flare head and hands not working to well.

Ann

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I've been living with costo for more years than I can remember. Mine is mostly the lower rib cage. If you press on the outer edge of your ribs where the ribs are kind of jointed in the sore side you'll likely get sharp pain. It comes and goes,mostly there all the time for me. Activity can really set it off big time. Plus say good bye to underwire bras if you wear them, they hurt like crazy!

If it starts to spasm, ice helps calm that down. Not much I've tried that helps ease the discomfort. Twisting , heavy lifting or bending at the waist are things that can cause it to hurt more. I can't even rake leaves any more or it sends me into a huge costo flare up.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I have that pain off and on even before I was diagnosed. My pain was horrible and resembled the gall bladder pain. However, my physical therapist taught me some great exercises and stretches that have really helped.

Closed Thread