It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
(female)

Miriamk HB User
Question Muscles don't relax

I read somewhere that are body doesn't produce the things we need so are muscles can relax during the night.

after a night of much muscle pain i started wondering...

what is the that we don't produce? and can we supplement it? or eat/take something that can target this?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
(female)

hamida HB User
Smile Re: Muscles don't relax

I wonder whether you have given sufficient details for a person to analyse or make a suggestion. Please consider my reaction below in this light.

If yours is a one time or first time problem, perhaps simple solutions would do, like ensuring that you take lightand easily digestible food; have sufficient physical exercise during the day; cover your body (by a sheet even in summer months) while sleeping; do not go to bed quite late,etc.

If you are having fever or infection, it would have to be treated.

If you are not having any abnormal symptoms and subscribe to homoeopathic system of medicine, please ask your doctor whether he would like to prescribe a mild medicine like Kali. Phos. in your situation.

Wishing you well,
Hamida

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
(male)

Gstien HB User
Re: Muscles don't relax

Even though I've had other symptoms since 2007 (fatigue, muscle pain, etc), the muscles not relaxing started last April. I thought it was just me, and I'm very relieved to see someone else has this.
My muscles tense up later in the evening, as I start to settle down from the day's activities. When I go to bed, it gets worse because I'm completely still.

Here's what I think based on paying attention to my body and my days activities.
If I've been really active, the muscles hurt bad later that night.
If I've been somewhat active, they don't hurt as much.
**The one constant in this is my fatigue level. If I'm fatigued, my muscles hurt worse than if I've had some rest. Once rested (such as a nap in the afternoon) the pain seems to subside a bit. Also, if I go past the same time I go to bed each evening, I can't sit still because of an increasing level of pain all over.
You may try a Magnesium supplement for muscle health, Vitamin D3 (which seems to help my pain a bit), and make sure you're properly hydrated. Dehydration (even just a bit) can really make your pain level go up.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

Gstein -- you're singing my tune. The volume on the pain knob will go up, up up. For years I interpreted this as "Tired". As I am lying down to nap I realize how much all over pain I am in. I need long naps, at least a full cycle, and then the pain is so much better. I sometimes have the morning stiffness, swollen feelings after a nap, but without the nap, I can't make myself a decent dinner. My ex- would harangue me about naps interfereing with my ability to sleep at night. Couldn't convince him I had no choice. Occasionally I can't fall asleep and nap, but lying down for a long time also helps me with pain levels.

Miriam, I would suggest research on muscle relaxation. The Mark London (MIT) article on magnesium and fibromyalgia is a good place to start. maybe potassium as well? There are hot dog bun shaped tubes through which chemicals are sent. In the medical literature they are called channels --sodium channels, calcium channels, etc. Sometimes these channels don't close. Sometimes the problem is a leak. For instance GM1 antibodies are autoimmune antibodies to a class of gangliosides ( sometimes part of neurological symptoms). It is suspected that they attack plasma membranes in channels and cause leaks. This makes the signalling continue when it should have stopped. calcium channels send contract messages, magnesium channels are said to send relax signals to muscles. I'm a real amateur at medical stuff, just a suggestion.

Last edited by Rhaquel; 06-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hey there,
You got me wanting to do some reading lol
One thing I've noticed for awhile, especially at night... I try to rest/relax my whole body. I notice my muscles don't want to relax. I especially notice this in my legs. I I concentraite on relaxing those muscles I can get them to relax. But my muscles will contract, jump, tighten briefly. Then I'll realize other muscles are tightend (often down my back) so I try to relax those. I don't think it's possible for me to relax all muscles at one time.
I always have major neck & shoulder pain. Also the upper back but it's like te other pain radiates to my back. Anyhow, the muscles there are always tight. Like a rock. But didn't think much about it till now. I've had allot of muscle pain so took a muscle relaxer during the day yesterday. I only take them for sleep usually. Boy did it help & those tigh muscles relaxed allot. Still tight but made a big difference still.
Anyhow, I'm not so good at listening to my body, learning lol
I'm going to do some reading but look forward to what everyone has to say! Very interesting topic!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
(male)

Gstien HB User

I have a motorized shiatzu pillow with heat and vibration.
I use that when my wife is asleep too early in the evening from work.
Also, I have a green cane. It has knobs all over it to press into muscles when they are knotted up. I don't know the science behind it, but when I press one of those knobs on the knotted muscle for a few moments, they let loose.

*It's called a Thera Cane. I don't want to post a pic because most of those are links to a site that sells them.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-19-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
relaxed muscles? what are those? i tease my caregivers that they are working on a body with rigor. they have been locked for years. guess i am used to it. giggle. even weekly massage does not loosen up my body. it feels good tho, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I wonder why our muscles are always tight. Do you guys think maybe it's our bodies way of reacting to pain?
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

That's more of that fight or flight autonomic system activation? Hypervigilence?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
(male)

Gstien HB User

I think both are at play here, just MHO of course.
It's possible the pain threshold is lowered when we're more tired, and that causes the muscles to tense up.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstien View Post
I don't know the science behind it, but when I press one of those knobs on the knotted muscle for a few moments, they let loose.
p
You are performing trigger point release on yourself. I suggest you read up on trigger points, and learn where they are and how to treat them through stretching and self-massage. A book called the "Trigger Point Self Help Manual" has been the single most useful item in treating my pain.

When those techniques don't work, I go to the doctor for an injection of lidocaine into the hard spots (trigger point injection), and it helps a lot.

I like my current doctor, her attitude meshes well with mine: "Well, Jane, some people just grow a lot of trigger points, and I guess you're one of them." Deal with it, don't overthink it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
(male)

Gstien HB User

Thanks!
I'll look into that.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstien View Post
I have a motorized shiatzu pillow with heat and vibration.
I use that when my wife is asleep too early in the evening from work.
Also, I have a green cane. It has knobs all over it to press into muscles when they are knotted up. I don't know the science behind it, but when I press one of those knobs on the knotted muscle for a few moments, they let loose.

*It's called a Thera Cane. I don't want to post a pic because most of those are links to a site that sells them.
I use both, and absolutely depend on my TheraCane to loosen up knots and spasms. Been using it for about 5 years now. I can target my knots so much easier than to say to my husband a little higher,over to the right...nope to far...lol

I do have the heated Shiatzu massager for my back, just wish it went all the way up and around my neck. I have to use the massager only when the dog is out, he hates it and barks non stop at it. Some day I'll choke up some real money for the one that does do the neck and shoulders plus is able to be targeted to troubled areas.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
(male)

Gstien HB User

I'd love one of those chairs, if they weren't so dern high.
As for the shiatzu, I just have to scoot around in the recliner to get the neck. LOL

Closed Thread