It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

kaye lambert HB User
Need Advice about Jobs

I have just recently have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was told to stay out of work for about a month. from now on, i will have to look at light duty work. Fot twenty something years all i have done has been physical. i was always the onr people would call on when they couldnt move something. this is all very hard for me to wrap my head around. so, if anyone could just respond to me about how, and what kind of work should i look for. i thank you all so much.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User
Re: Need Advice about Jobs

Do you have TMJ? I find head down work bothers my headaches a great deal. It's going to depend a bit on what YOUR body is up to. The less repetition the better, the more variety, the better. ( That is kind of a tall order to get a perfect job.) I tried work in a department store selling clothes, but my hands really hurt. Same on another job that had too much hand work. Some people have a lot of foot pain, so on their feet is tuff.
Think about what are the achille's heels for you. Over the decades it can change, but just figure out today's best bet, I think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I find it helps to have a job with some "task flexibility." I would not do well with standing 8 hours a day, but sitting at a computer 8 hours a day is bad for my neck and shoulders.

My current job involves some standing and some sitting, some talking and some desk time, and it usually works out OK. A couple times a year I do get stuck at the computer for a solid week, and it's tough, but I get through it.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User

I know every country. If you were here I would be suggestion that you make an appointment to see a job facilitator through your local social welafre office or job centre. Through their expertise they should be able to focus on how your abilities can best be utilised in the job market, while at the same bearing in mind the restrictions brought about by your illness.
I hope something like is available where you live.
brend

Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Because of back issues I found a sit down job the best. However, like JaneWhite said, it did cause neck and shoulder pain. When my sit down job went to standing for 8 to 9 hours, it was rough. However the standing job had variety and I liked that. The kind of job I always liked was where you took care of something right then and there and it was over. I hated those secretary office jobs where you always had something hanging over your head the next day, projects you had to continue to work on. Sales jobs were always the same, pressure to make your quota. I liked answer and transfer phone jobs and front desk hotel jobs where you checked them in and out and no problems. Except for the occasional complainer and then you kept them happy by giving them free food or something. Some hotel jobs have sitting and standing combined. Anyway, I'm retired now, so can't really say what kind of jobs are out there.

Glojer

Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I totally understand. I find many jobs just truly hurt the body. It's quite hard to make anyone get that too. That think I am making it up. The secretarial jobs kill me too, my TMJ gets worse from the phones and the hands ache from filing, folding papers etc and the pay is awful. I am considering a temp agency where I can do a day or two for different places and if I need a day off in between than I can do it easier than full time.

Good luck, it's tricky to find the balance..

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Kaye, I was in your place almost 10 years ago. My job was very physical and not much sitting down. Add dealing with the public when you're tired and not thinking all that clear,. All this was pre diagnosis.

It was the beginning of the economy taking a slow slide to where we are now. It gave me the opportunity to take a voluntary lay off and recoup my body and take some time to think seriously about where to go from there. I knew my body could not take a physical job any more. I took full advantage of being unemployed for a year, attempted to get retrained and found what I wanted to do was also more physical than what I thought. Back to square one.

Then an office/warehouse sales position was offered up. I had never worked in that setting plus a total new business. It was not the best choice I've ever made. Fibro fog and trying to learn a whole new business, selling items I had no knowledge about are not a good mix. I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did, I'm sure one of the owners thought I was a total dummy because I would ask the same thing over and over...just could not retain all this new info. Ended up with another layoff, they could have fired me so I was thankful they chose the lay off allowing me to once again collect unemployment again.

So here I am again wondering, just like you, where do I go from here. Do I try to get disability? I really don't like the idea of that because someplace in my mind I feel I can at least handle a part time job if it's not to demanding physically or having to learn something entirely new.

Enough babbling from me , sorry you have to go thru this too.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Great advise!
Welcome to the board!
Maybe write down 2 lists. One of things that you can do, another of things you can't. Maybe that'll help. You could also show the boss if your comfortable with that, & see what they think would work...
I've been going for disability. It's not much $ & not something I'm proud of. I get embarrassed if someone finds out. I can just feel them looking at me wondering why I would need that, I look perfectly capable of working. Its like people think I'm just being lazy which hurts when I've been such an active person.
Anyhow, you may need to look at other jobs you've never done...
I think if I got a job, it wouldn't last. I forget everything, can't focus, can't sit or stand long. I actually have to lay my head down atleast half of the day because of pain. Anyhow, you'll figure out what works for you
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I don't mean to be a 'debbie downer', but boy thinking about working again is a terrible conundrum. I'm not sure I could do it again.
tmrots, a great suggestion about temporary placement.
How about working from home or having an online business. I guess that would be difficult too, lots of paper work and such. Let's face it fibro is an insidious disease, it runs and hides and when we least expect it jumps out and grabs us and won't let go until we holler uncle. Having any kind of consistent job is going to be hard on any level.

Glojer

Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Glojers idea about working from home is something to think about...
I'm not working but most of my life I loved to draw. Lost all ambition when my problems hit. But I'm trying to get back into it. There are so many ways to advertise your talents these days because if the Internet... I would of known where to even tart 15 yrs ago.
I started a drawing about 2 weeks ago I still have to finish. Been so busy & hurt to much to move a pencil right now. But I will finish it & put it on a certain website for selling crafts. I hope to get a bunch more out there for sale & hopefully sell one... Doesn't hurt to try right!
Anyhow, now is the time for you to think about other oppertunities
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread