It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
hi all... been gone a long time

i have had the longest cfs i ever had...been going on since my nefew died in sept. 2011. i have been on different depression meds forever, but, nothing is touching this so i went off my effexor and ambilify 3 mos. ago.
i have even stopped using my computer.
i am hoping someone can help get me out of this....please help, looking forward to hearing from you!
take care.....bevann

The following user gives a hug of support to bevann26:
Glojer (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: hi all... been gone a long time

I know depression can make CFS worse. Have you thought about seeing a therapist? Try other meds until you find one that works. Also have you had blood tests done? Hugs!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

bevann, you may find some relief off the abilify. Braveman was put on that a while back when he was having chemo etc. It almost did him in, he eventually had such severe tremors it was thought he had parkinsons. Took a neurosurgeon to correctly identify the problem. That is a nasty drug for some people.

I battle chronic fatigue myself, and if you have not had it done, I would suggest a complete thyroid check up. It would be best if you found a good endocrinologist, they know more about it. PCP's just don't get the training. By the way,I think abilify can also mess with your thyroid. Anyway I have been reading recently where untreated and or undertreated thyroid issues can contribute or cause depression or CFS. This same doc suggests that some people even with good thyroid numbers, show improvement in depression when put on thyroid meds. A shock such as you had with the death of your nephew can certainly create enough stress to cause you health issues.

Sending prayers for you and your family,
Glojer

Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

thanks for the quick replies! there is't another depression med out there right now for me to try i have tried most of them for about 40 yrs. now. my pcp did ck my thyroid and said it was good. the ambilify also brought my sugar up.....i am also a diabetic.
it has been so long now, waking up in the am and facing another long, boring day. i have to push myself just to get in the shower, it is really depressing.
thanks again and take care....bevann

Old 06-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

bevann just wanted to encourage you to keep in the back of your mind the thyroid issue. My pcp told me my thyroid was fine also. When I went to an endo, she found my thyroid antibodies were high and that I needed treatment. The thyroid meds did and do help. It also helps with the fibro.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Prayers and energy sent your way.
Glojer

Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

Hi Bevann. I have tried every class of anti-depressant there is, and tried some things twice. I'm chemically sensitive, and antidepressants actually can make me worse.

I second the suggestion to at least read the symptoms of hypothyroidism. There are studies that show the link between it and mood disorders. And I second the idea that the average doc sux at treating hypothyroidism. If you go that direction, find someone through research that you can have confidence in. It's a waste of time (& $$) to go to someone who only repeat tests the TSH levels, who doesn't measure Free T3 and reverse T3+ free T4 to see if cells are actually rexieving the thyroid hormone.

It was my psychiatrist who said I wasn't getting adequate testing and therefore treatment for my hypothyroidism. She ran tests of my adrenals and neurotransmitters, too. When I had to choose where to spend my money, she said treating the endocrine problems would be priority, if I could assure her I wasn't in danger of doing myself harm.

Is there anything you are taking that could be pulling you down emotionally? Someone on a forum just pointed out to me that melatonin makes depression very much worse in some people, and I've been going up up up on the dose for it until three days ago, when I read that. Be sure and research everything that you are on. Chemical sensitivities sneaks up on fibromites.

Lastly, try to make yourself get some form of exercise, to help both the depression and the FM. I'm quite the hypocrite saying that right now. It's how I usually control my depression, but I'm under doc's orders not to exercise right now, because of my adrenal fatigue. I think I'm going to have to walk at least two blocks, anyways. This mood problem has gotten too serous to ignore. I'll do a pact with you if you're having motivational problems right now-- i'm having issues with that too, the longer I sit here in the apartment.

P.S. --I don't have CFS-- can you do exercise of a short duration? I know for myself, it gets a little muddled, What is fatigue vs. What is depression.

Last edited by Rhaquel; 06-24-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Post script

Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi bevann,
welcome back. you took the first step. you came home to us. i offer my deepest empathy for your loss of your nephew. mine died 3 years ago. i really feel for my sis.
one thing you said that caught my eye was the boredom of another day. this i can relate to for the first time in my life. we, you and me have got to find something to take us away on bed days. been in bed most of the past year with other health junk. it eats at you. i started reading again ,and did find that helpful. escape to a world that is not my own and do something i love, read. light stuff. funny stuff. i am now making myself get outside more even if it's only 5 minutes. it does help me feel more human. fortunatly depression does not plague my life so i am helpless there to be of assistance.
one thing i do that brings me joy, regarding my nephew is every night i go out and pick a star and talk to him. he is that star. watching over us all, free of his pain. he took his life. we respected his right to end his suffereing. it's a long story i won't go into. this is your thread.
everyone has given you great info to look into. i hope you find your balance soon.
in peace,
blue

Closed Thread