It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

Jennings1 HB User
Talking side effects of Savella for Fibromyalgia

Hello Everyone!
This is my first time posting anything. I was finally diagnosed Fall 2011 with Fibromyalgia and the week of Christmas was diagnosed with Lupus SLE. My meds started off with Neurontin 600mg, I was so depressed and cried constantly, I cried if my mail ran early! Then I was switched to Cymbalta and could not sleep, I stayed up all night. Then they put me on Lyrica, I thought this would be the one that works. Wrong! I swelled up like a "tick ready to pop." I gained 80 lbs. I had some bad reactions to this particular drug. I could feel "fluid" in my chest and felt as though I was smothering. That really scared me! Just a couple of days ago, my doctor put me on Savella. So far so good. I have this metallic taste in my mouth, constant nausea, and I sweat like I am in a sauna. Does anyone else have these symptoms from Savella? I am anxious to find out. I have lost weight, and of course I am not complaining about that! I am not giving up, I will stick with Savella as long as I can, especially if I can lose these extra pounds.

Last edited by Jennings1; 06-24-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 06-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
(female)

Jennings1 HB User
Re: side effects of Savella for Fibromyalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennings1 View Post
Hello Everyone!
This is my first time posting anything. I was finally diagnosed Fall 2011 with Fibromyalgia, (I have had it for 12 years and no one could tell me what was wrong with me), and the week of Christmas was diagnosed with Lupus SLE. My meds started off with Neurontin 600mg, I was so depressed and cried constantly, I cried if my mail ran early! Then I was switched to Cymbalta and could not sleep, I stayed up all night. Then they put me on Lyrica, I thought this would be the one that works. Wrong! I swelled up like a "tick ready to pop." I gained 80 lbs. I had some bad reactions to this particular drug. I could feel "fluid" in my chest and felt as though I was smothering. That really scared me! Just a couple of days ago, my doctor put me on Savella. So far so good. I have this metallic taste in my mouth, constant nausea, and I sweat like I am in a sauna. Does anyone else have these symptoms from Savella? I am anxious to find out. I have lost weight, and of course I am not complaining about that! I am not giving up, I will stick with Savella as long as I can, especially if I can lose these extra pounds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hey there,
Savella makes me sweat also but it was worst the first couple months. At first I'd get hot flashes. But Savella has worked for me best. Cymbolta, Nuerontin & Lyrica made me even more exhausted & lethargic which is of course the last thing we need. I haven't lost wait on the Savella Wellbutrin & Tramadol are also known for causing weight loss but I take those also & no weight loss. But they work so I can live with that lol
Anyhow, the hot flashes & sweats will get easier. It's jut a matter of if you can live with it. For me it's the only side effect if Savella so small price to pay. But not everyone can handle it.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 06-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
(female)

Jennings1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarm View Post
Hey there,
Savella makes me sweat also but it was worst the first couple months. At first I'd get hot flashes. But Savella has worked for me best. Cymbolta, Nuerontin & Lyrica made me even more exhausted & lethargic which is of course the last thing we need. I haven't lost wait on the Savella Wellbutrin & Tramadol are also known for causing weight loss but I take those also & no weight loss. But they work so I can live with that lol
Anyhow, the hot flashes & sweats will get easier. It's jut a matter of if you can live with it. For me it's the only side effect if Savella so small price to pay. But not everyone can handle it.
Oh my! I am so very sorry that you have those side effects. Where I have the Fibro, Lupus, and Menopause, when I have a hot flash I have no idea which to blame in on! When I took the Lyrica, they also had me on Voltaren. They said all the meds that I was on for everything including Phenagran for the nausea, would work together. I guess they can, but not in my system. When I get aggravated or a little depressed, I always remind myself that it could be far worse. I appreciate your response to my message. I hope you can find some relief and that one day they can find a better medication for us.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

Hi there, I had a horrible problem with nausea and sweating when I first started taking Savella. I am very glad I stuck with it. After the first month it subsided and my energy levels increased significantly and it helps with the pain. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

Hello there! You people are so very lucky. Savilla, Cymbalta, and Neurotin and Lyrica did absolutely nothing for me. Neurotin made me an absolute zombie. I came off that right away. Currently taking vicodin. Seems to be the only thing that helps my pain. And I couldn't live without the lidocaine patches. Good luck! Hope things continue to improve for you.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I tried Savella.....not the drug for me. I agreed to give it the 3 months that it is suppose to take to work. I gave up about 2 weeks shy of the 3mo. I only agreed to take it because of the weight loss side effect. I gained 15 pounds in those almost 3 months and had such severe constipation that even my gastroenterologist couldn't get it under control.

Glojer

Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
(female)

Jennings1 HB User

Thank you for responding. I am glad that your side effects are subsiding. I do feel some better by taking the Savella. I can tolerate the side effects, to get positive results.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
(male)

ponytaildave HB User

Hi there,funny thing is I take cymbata and I sweat like I,m in a sauna and I also get the metalic taste with thaat but also gainig weight. the last 2 days I have been in extreme pain in my neck, shoulder and left arm I can't put any weight on it nor can I push or pull and nothing is helping for pain, HELP

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
(female)

ponytail dave you have my sympathy because I know about the neck/shoulder pain and it hurts like a *****. Medication only does so much, but, if you're like me, you are in constant pain. Hopefully you'll find some relief somewhere.

The following user gives a hug of support to Foxy Brown:
ponytaildave (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
(female)

Jennings1 HB User

Hey there PonyTailDave, I also have significant pain in my right shoulder which travels up into my neck. My Dr. had a CT done on my neck and said that I had degenerative disc. I had a friend give me some Flector patches to try and they really helped. Unfortunately, I do not have health ins. and cannot afford to buy them. Dr. told me to use the Salon Pas and Aspercreme. It does help to a degree which is better than nothing. I don't know what else to tell you, I only hope that all of you can find some relief, my heart goes out to all!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
(female)

I live for my lidocaine patches. As I said, they really are a god send. Are about the only thing that helps me make it through the day. I know I'm not supposed to, but sometimes the pain is so bad, I end up sleeping with them at night because of the neck pain is hard to get comfortable.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glojer View Post
I tried Savella.....not the drug for me. I agreed to give it the 3 months that it is suppose to take to work. I gave up about 2 weeks shy of the 3mo. I only agreed to take it because of the weight loss side effect. I gained 15 pounds in those almost 3 months and had such severe constipation that even my gastroenterologist couldn't get it under control.

Glojer
How did they finally cure your constipation? I had bouts of this when I was on the MS-Contin. My rheumy and I finally decided to stop taking this medication as, while it didn't really upset my stomach, it made me really, really constipated.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
(female)

Jennings1 HB User

Oh my! I am so sorry that you are having the pain. I did not realize that there was a Lidocaine patch. I will ask the Dr. about them. I do know that if you use the Flector patches you can wear them up to 12 hrs.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
(female)

Supposedly 12 on, 12 off. They are a godsend.

The following user gives a hug of support to Foxy Brown:
Jennings1 (06-26-2012)
Closed Thread