It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Miralax, constipation

I started taking Miralax for constipation, today is day 3. How long before it actually starts to work?
I've always dealt with this issue but lately it's really bad... I take tramadol 2x daily & think it's what is causing it to get worst. As if my weight issues weren't bad enough, I gained more weight & honestly think its constipation...
If you are constipated, is your metabolism slower? I know I have had edema issues for awhile but no dr has been concerned, probably because my blood pressure is good...
Anyhow, I'm really hoping this stuff will work & not only get relief but also lose some of the extra weight & edema possibly caused from it...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User
Re: Miralax, constipation

I recall that I liked Miralax, but I get these bouts of awful gaseousness. Mostly burping. I read that miralax can make that worse. Lately I am drinking a cup of Smooth Move two days in a row, then I go. Normally I'm 8-10 days between if I do nothing to help. UGH. The tea has senna in it. For whatever reason, whatever laxative, including the senna tea, that I use, my intestines feel like they are burning or swollen afterwards, something uncomfortabl/ painful for days) Misery. This time I had a cup of tea, skipped a day, then had another cup on next day. Very nice result.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I think I have the smooth move tea. I don't remember the results, been too long. Worth a shot! Thanks!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

If you have an entire day to spare and are willing to put yourself through the inconvenience, magnesium citrate works great. I didn't get any cramps with it but I want to stress again it took about 16 hours for everything to run its course. I am on a narcotic (not sure if we can list the name on this board but its a schedule III) and suffer from severe constipation. I have tried stool softners with no luck, laxatives give me cramps without actually working, enimas do work but not very well etc. I havent tried smooth move tea yet and am off to the store to get some now.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi tori,
try taking up to three capfulls to break you up. i take 1 to 3 depending on what meds i took during the day.
peace,
blue
when i started on it i also took 2 ducolax the first night with 2 capfulls. it hurt but i got empty. yes poop slows you down. way down.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Just in case there is an unaware reader of this thread someday, I would like to remind people that over use of harsh laxatives can lead to electrolite imbalances and even damage to the colon or kidneys. That is why Dr's advise bulk producing are the first choice for prevention.

Saline Laxatives attract water into the colon by increasing the concentration of salts in the stool. The resulting effect is softer feces, which are easier to eliminate. Saline laxatives contain ions such as magnesium, suphate, and phosphate, which may be partially absorbed into the body and could be dangerous for some individuals. Because they generally act within a few hours, stronger saline laxatives should not be used regularly, as they can lead to diarrhea and dehydration. Milk of Magnesia is the mildest of the saline laxatives and Epsom Salts are the strongest.  Examples are Milk of Magnesia, Haley’s M-O, Citrate of Magnesia, Epsom Salts.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Just in case there is a future reader of this thread who is unaware of this, overuse of harsh laxatives can lead to electrolite imbalances, or damage to the colon or kidneys.
Senekot is included as a "harsh" laxative, and I have no way to know if tea with senna would be included in that catagory.

Also having potential to cause electrolite imbalances with overuse are the saline laxatives. Saline Laxatives attract water into the colon by increasing the concentration of salts in the stool. The resulting effect is softer feces, which are easier to eliminate. Saline laxatives contain ions such as magnesium, suphate, and phosphate, which may be partially absorbed into the body and could be dangerous for some individuals. Because they generally act within a few hours, stronger saline laxatives should not be used regularly, as they can lead to diarrhea and dehydration. Milk of Magnesia is the mildest of the saline laxatives and Epsom Salts are the strongest.  Examples are Milk of Magnesia, Haley’s M-O, Citrate of Magnesia, Epsom Salts.

Doctors advise bulk producing products as the best line of defense, because they are generally safest. I did have a lot of allergy tests done at a doc who treats MCS, and was allergic to psyllium. I mention that in case someone thinks they get worse intestinal distress on that one. trust your gut, lol.

Closed Thread