HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Massage therapy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/907502-massage-therapy.html)

waters04 07-01-2012 02:35 PM

Massage therapy

Hi, I'm current only meds for my fibro, and I even went to PT for 4 months before I ended up seeing a rheumy and being dx with fibro. The meds are working well, but I did get some relief when my PT did massages. I wanted to know if this would be a good supplement to my med regime? Has anyone tried it? Also, my mom said if my dr write a rx for it, my insurance would cover it. Has that been the case for anyone?

I know my dr would rx muscle relaxers if I asked, but I'd rather not. I would rather try MT.

ladybud 07-01-2012 02:42 PM

Re: Massage therapy

Massage is a wonderful supplement to meds for fibro, and depending on your insurance, they may cover it. It is a little tricky though as the massage therapist has to code it properly. Massage by itself doesn't often work, but if they code it as myofascial release or some other more PT sounding codes, it might go through. Worth a try. A Dr's RX will probably be needed for ins. coverage, but most Drs are willing to do that. Good luck. It mat take some trial and error with the treatment codes.

janewhite1 07-01-2012 07:40 PM

I get massages every week. I have to pay cash, but it's worth it because it keeps me healthy enough to keep working and drawing a salary.

You might be able to get some insurance coverage. It's worth looking into.

One other issue is that the massage has to be done the right way. For me, it's OK if it hurts a little bit, but if it causes pain bad enough to make me gasp, it's doing more harm than good. Also, there are some areas of my body that I don't usually let the therapist touch, such as the front of my neck.

Rhaquel 07-03-2012 03:24 PM

Massage is GREAT. I could go without pain meds if I had insurance coverage for it. Too bad it's labor/time intensive, and doesn't come in a convenient bottle. Definitely the fewest side effects, lol.

Rich775 07-03-2012 03:30 PM

I agree with all the previous replies. For me it wasn't that it "fixed" anything, but I really think it helped as part of a maintenance regimen. And janewhite1 had a good point about who you choose. They are definitely not all created equal. You need someone who truly understands FM.

I was never able to get it covered by insurance.

Glojer 07-04-2012 08:52 AM

If your insurance won't cover the massage for FM, with an RX from your doc it should be tax deductible. My doc RX'd my exercise for fibro and I took my membership to my work out place off my taxes. I did this at the suggestion of my tax man. My doc did not have a problem with doing this, since she is a firm believer in exercise for fibro.

Glojer

Rich775 07-04-2012 09:14 AM

Thanks. Good point.

bluelakelady 07-05-2012 07:50 AM

massage keeps me up and functioning. if your doctor writes tissue manipulation instead of massage most insurance companies will pay. it's all in the wording. i am currently enjoying free massages paid for by insurance.
also, some massage therapists have a sliding scale for those who cannot pay full price.
i have tandem massage, two people working on me at the same time. it's awesome. them i pay for. giggle.
peace,
blue