It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Artistinneed HB User
Lightbulb Update

Hey all!

So.. my much awaited Rheumatologist appointment is coming up on the 18th!! Although I have gained some new information that is adding to my confusion a bit. My aunt, cousin (male) and grandfather on my mothers side all have the diagnosis of Anklosing Spondalitis. My aunt says I have some of the same symptoms, though when I looked it up it didn't quite seem to account for all the places I have pain or the IBS (unless what the doctor told me was ibs was actually inflammation related?)

I'm going to bring this to the Rheumatologist to ask him...but I'm kind of wondering...do you think there's a chance it's both? Or that possibly I don't have fibromyalgia at all and that there is a chance that's why the medications haven't been working?

My hip has been really acting up lately and my doctor said it was joint inflammation-- bursitis i think she called it... but after reading the info it sounds like it could be from AS if that's what I have..

I don't even know anymore I guess I just have to wait and find out lol I just wanted to see if any others had similar experiences or knew anything I didn't

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User
Re: Update

Artist, that is a scary possibility for you I would guess. I don't know anything about it, so had to get a quick look about it. I don't suppose there is a way to be sure at this point. I remember being a little confused about the fibro in the beginning. I was sure it was joint pain. It feels like joints, but they say it isn't. I think the tissues, being right next to the bones create the feelings that it is actually the joints for me.
So you have two weeks until you talk to a doctor. maybe It's impossible to put it completely out of your mind, so I can't easily advise that. Just hate to think of you agonizing over it for two weeks, it's a long time to worry and create more stress fro your body to manage. If you can, try to stay busy, I suppose. gentle hug and peaceful thoughts to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rhaquel For This Useful Post:
Artistinneed (07-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
(female)

Artistinneed HB User

you're absolutely right..no use stewing over it! At least I'm starting an MBSR course on Thursday!! I've used mindful meditation in the past to help my anxiety and it is very helpful. Not many people know this but it is actually proven to change your brain chemistry, it's really cool! I highly recommend other people with chronic pain looking into it I'll have to post an update after my appointment on the 18th.. part of me is worried I will come out of there with no diagnosis! eek! can't even imagine how frustrating that would be haha

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

I did a lot of that "mindful" work myself. I fall off of the wagon sometimes, tho, and it takes a while to train the mind to go to that state quickly when I skip it for too long.
What's MSBR?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
(female)

Artistinneed HB User

MBSR (Mindful Based Stress Reduction) it is a course based upon the teachings of Jon Kabbat-Zinn (I probably misspelled that lol) He was the first person to really scientifically study the effects of eastern practices and noted that mindful meditation is really effective in reducing stress and suffering. The MBSR course is designed for people with a lot of anxiety or who struggle with chronic pain. It is a lot of meditation and some light yoga etc. It might not necessarily decrease your physical level of pain (though it could) but it will help the person to change their thinking and reduce suffering. In the past the body scan meditations have helped me with my anxiety.. right now I notice that when I try to do them in pain it is actually intolerable because I focus in on the pain too much, but supposedly they are going to help me to get around these kinds of issues

The Following User Says Thank You to Artistinneed For This Useful Post:
Glojer (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Great idea. I need to get OUT. For any reason.

Closed Thread