It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User
question about surgery and recovery with fibromyalgia

Hi, I have been on these boards since January due to having reconstructive ankle surgery. I have been wrestling with severe pain and a very, very slow healing process. Yesterday I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia - which honestly isn't a surprise to me as I have almost all of the symptoms. My question is - does it take longer for someone to heal and recover after a surgery if you have fibromyalgia? Should I inform my surgeon of this diagnosis? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: question about surgery and recovery with fibromyalgia

Fibro should not interfere with, say, your incision closing, or the reconstructed ligaments healing. Diabetes might, but not fibro.

However, people with fibro might have a lot more post-op pain, and have difficulty with the rehab. Every injury I've had has caused its own set of muscle problems. My ankle issues caused trigger points in the peroneal muscles on the affected leg and also made my opposite hip horribly tight from the limping. Now my ankle is better, and the trigger points caused by ankle problems are still there, but they are mostly inactive.

Mention it to your surgeon, but DEFINITELY mention it to your PT. Also, you could try trigger point work on your calf. I got some relief from rolling a regular ballpoint pen up and down the leg near my fibula, breaking up all those trigger points!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Thanks! The incision area is healed, etc. But I am really struggling with post op pain and rehab. I don't really know much about fibromyalgia and trigger points, etc. I will have to learn more about it. I am not surprised at the diagnosis - my general practioner thought I had fibromyalgia a while ago - but honestly I didn't want to hear about it or think about it. I just "lived" in the pain for awhile but it has gotten to be almost unbearable at this point, so guess I will have to accept it and own up to it. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, I've had fibro for years and have had 3 foot and/or ankle surgeries. Yes my healing/rehab process took longer than most. especially with my achilles reconstruction. I had to take 3 PT three times and the 3rd included water walking which really helped. I had a lot of tendonitis in my calf and the water walking is what saved me. So you may want to consider water therapy if you can. Just don't push yourself to be hurting really bad when you're up on your foot if you know what I mean. I tended to do that and it set me back. Take it easy and let it heal. Good luck! cj

Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much - I was beginning to feel like a wimp or making it all up in my head! I do have a therapy pool where I can work on my ankle and I am in PT three times a week as well. I must confess - I really don't want to deal with having fibromyalgia but in some ways it is a relief as all this time I thought the pain and issues were "all in my head" It's nice to find others who "get" it.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi just wanted to reiterate and its hard to explain but I had 3 "different" PT therapies, first one for about two months or so then wasn't doing well still so went back again and then still wasn't doing well and had to go back again. It took me just about a year to where I could walk my dogs and stuff like that. no its not in your head it just takes us longer and we have to go about it a little easier. IMO. best of luck and let us know how you do! cj

Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
hi just wanted to reiterate and its hard to explain but I had 3 "different" PT therapies, first one for about two months or so then wasn't doing well still so went back again and then still wasn't doing well and had to go back again. It took me just about a year to where I could walk my dogs and stuff like that. no its not in your head it just takes us longer and we have to go about it a little easier. IMO. best of luck and let us know how you do! cj
Oh, I totally misread that one about the PT recoveries. Thanks - I am a little worried - as the surgery was from falling off a porch delivering pizza, so it's all workers comp. I just hope I don't have to fight with them since this is taking so much longer than I anticipated. I will keep in touch on the boards - I have thoroughly enjoyed the ankle forums!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
your workers comp is going to freak when they find out you have fibro now too. took too long to do surgery? guess how i got it? same way. i was also awarded the largest settlement ever given for carpal tunnel syndrome due to the fibro onset because they waited too long to do surgery.
for sure make sure it is an aspect of your comp records. will you be returning to this job?
peace,
blue

Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Really? Wow. The doctor sent me back to work last week. It is a part time job - delivering pizza. I fell off the porch delivering the pizza. Sigh. I went back last week for 2.5 hours and thought I was going to die because it hurt so much. So I called doctor and explained after that night - but he wanted me to try again this week. I am going to email his nurse on Monday/Tuesday and inform her of the fibro. Sigh. Really stinks....but thanks for the info, I had no idea...

Closed Thread