It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

ilovetdbears HB User
Not touch-sensitive

I have been reading everything about joint pains since last night, and the closest I could come up with was fibromyalgia, but then again none of these are tender to touch; they just hurt. I used to have knee pains and sometimes if I exercised they would swell to where I couldn't even walk for days, doctor said it was simple arthritis, and I have been taking Naproxen for it, but since I lost some weight I hardly get these. For the last 8 years I've gotten migraines, but not often. I got whiplash about 9-10 years ago from a car accident and at first I couldn't turn my head to one side. That improved, but I always have neck pains on my right side and my neck has crackling sounds when I move it. The pain sometimes starts a migraine. I even have jaw pain on that side and it feels like all around the ear. Lately I've had some wrist and elbow pains (not the same type of pain as the knees) that would wake me up but it felt like if I got under the covers and got warm, they got better. I have been waking up with a stuffed up nose and mild headaches every day lately. Yesterday I was sitting at one of my jobs and after a couple of hours I started hurting in all over - wrists, elbows, neck, head, back, chest, and it just seemed to get worse. When my left arm hurt I worried I might be having a heart attack. I took a walk outside and warmed up and felt a little better. I was so worried that I spent the rest of the day concentrated on the pains and it only got worse. I felt like I had trapped gas or heartburn. I was exhausted by the time I got home; took a Naproxen and ranitidine in case it was stomach acid pain from the Naproxen and took a nap. I felt a little better, but I would wake up with the pains every so often. I took a Flexeril and slept all night, but I still have a headache and neck pain. I guess the more I worry, the worse it gets. I want to think it's stress, but could it be something else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User
Re: Not touch-sensitive

This is a pretty typical description of fibromyalgia except that from what I've read most fibromyalgia patients don't have swelling. There are reasons why some of us can, tho, such as having another rheumatological condition alongside of fibro. I get joint swelling; I have elevated ANA which is an auto-immune antibody to connective tissue. You may want to ask for a copy of your blood labs, and see for yourself what is or isn't there. Only a good Dr (who believes in FM --- another story, some don't) can tell if it's that and nothing else. Also, if you google study abstract fibromyalgia and whiplash, you'll see the possibilities rise with whiplash.

If I'm understanding this right, possibly the doctor dismissed it as NOT fibro, maybe because you did not have pain at the tender points on exam? I think it was in 2010 that the American College of Rheumatology decided to remove that from their criterion for FM because not everyone dispays the tender points pain, particularly not men, which is a part of why there are fewer men diagnosed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rhaquel For This Useful Post:
ilovetdbears (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It could be fibro, or it could be something else. Definitely, you should get blood tests for various autoimmune disease, Vit D levels, and Lyme disease. I have some of the tender points, but not all of them. Your neck pain sounds VERY familiar to me, though!

If it is fibro, then it might help to find gentle exercises that ease your pain. Also, focusing on it too much doesn't help.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

Ilovetdbears:
It so happens that I am re-reading an online article by Mark London(MIT), who has fibromyalgia. I've been going through and "picking", paying more attention, and looking at the links. it has reminded me to tell you that being deficient in one or more of these, can mimic fibromyalgia, and be part of fibro: Vitamin D , magnesium, some B vitamins.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-08-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Please do not post or suggest searching the internet for unapproved Internet website(s).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rhaquel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
fibromyalgia, head and neck pain, joint and muscle pain