It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User
Fibromyalgia & Vulvodynia

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boards but not to the world of Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in 2006. Over the years I have responded very well to treatment with amytriptyline. I have been taking 100mg daily for the past 4 years. Over the last 2 years (give or take) I have experienced even greater relief from symptoms.

However, over the last month or so I have been experiencing burning in the genital area that comes and goes. In May I had a really bad UTI. It happened over a weekend and there was no way I could get to a walk in clinic as I had to frequent the washroom so much nor could I wait for Monday to see my doctor. Luckily my doctor offers after hours care so I was able to get a prescription of Macrobid from the on call doctor after describing symptoms and discussing my history. I am prone to bladder infections and am far too familiar with the symptoms.

A couple weeks after finishing the Macrobid I ended up with a yeast infection, more often than not I get one after a course of antibiotics. Treatment with Canesten took care of that.

Now though, off and on, I am dealing with a lot of burning in the genital area and it's just driving me crazy! No evidence of infection, no abnormal discharge. No pain with sex, actually I find that symptoms settle down for a little while after sex. The burning comes and goes, it disappeared for nearly a week and I thought finally it's over, but now I'm right back where I started.

I know that vulvodynia can be quite common with Fibromyalgia so I am curious to hear from other ladies out there who may be suffering the same thing. What do you do to relieve the pain? Are there any times it is better/worse? Tried calling my dr today but her office is closed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia & Vulvodynia

Oh, I have both. It's "fun."

I find that sex definitely makes the pain worse, but otherwise my story is similar, the yeast infection that cleared up but never really went away.

There are two reasons why people with fibro tend to get vulvodynia. One is that spasms in the lower back and pelvic muscles can actually refer pain there. Sometimes it comes and goes in the middle of Pilates class as I move the core muscles, which feels pretty weird!

The other reason is central sensitization. Vulvodynia is related to that. Basically, when you have fibro, once something sets off pain, you just keep on feeling it, even after the original problem heals.

I used nortriptyline and also lidocaine gel. It's actually a dental product, but it works!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I will have to look it up but makes sense why Ive had those feelings down there for years

Old 07-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User

Thanks ladies for both of your replies Things have settled down a little, yesterday I was actually pain free down there. A bit more burning today....I'm thinking the issue may also be due to dryness. I have to drink plenty of water to keep my mouth from getting dry as it's a side effect from the amitriptyline. I think perhaps the dryness is spreading lower. I spoke to a friend who is an herbalist and she suggested using vitamin E oil below the belt. I am finding a little bit of relief with that!

Closed Thread