HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Unable to walk much or stand for long (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/909346-unable-walk-much-stand-long.html)

TexasLady1952 07-13-2012 07:44 AM

Unable to walk much or stand for long

Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has the same problems I am having. Having been diagnosed with Fibro, arthritis, hips and knees worn also have problems with neck and lower back, from one day to the next am unable to walk. Have been going to doctors for years, and lately unable to take any of the meds. (the latest ones are celebrex, cymbalta and savella. Why can't I walk? Hope this is enough info to get some ideas. Thanks!

bluelakelady 07-13-2012 08:03 AM

Re: Unable to walk much or stand for long

hi and welcome!
years ago i had the same problem. don't use a cane or wheelchair. learn to fall instead. don't give up on walking. take short walks often. even a few minutes count. massage your legs often. it lasted about 2 years and then just went away. i still have weak days but nothing like back then.
peace,
bluelakelady

TexasLady1952 07-13-2012 08:08 AM

The on and off again part of it with me has gone on for years, over ten, but now it is all the time.

WoodsWalker 07-13-2012 08:47 AM

Could some or most of the inability to walk be due to back and knee issues you mentioned.
Start slow, with short walks and build up your muscles. If at all possible maybe some low impact exercise like yoga or Pilates to build up core muscles could make walking easier also.

DGMLPN 07-13-2012 06:23 PM

I have the same problem also and with my hands also. I am an LPN have to do a lot of charting with my hand. Do your joints show arthritis?

RavenSkies777 07-14-2012 02:34 PM

When I was diagnosed in 2006 (I was 22 years old!) I was going through the same thing. I couldn't walk very far or stand for very long. I had a lot of trouble with stairs and sometimes still do but not nearly as severe as back then. Once I started pain management with amitriptyline my legs and hips started to get better but it takes work. I walk on my treadmill 5x a week and get out for walks with my dog. I still can't stand for very long extended periods of time (an hour MAX), it causes a lot of neck and shoulder tension. That can be frustrating as I'm a photographer, but low impact exercise is definitely beneficial.

thesweetlife 07-14-2012 04:54 PM

The less you walk/stand the harder it will be!! Tough as it sounds it's a fact. Our muscles begin to atrophy (SP?) after a very short period of non usage - therefore if you don't use it you lose it! I've learnt that DESPITE the pain I HAVE to keep my body moving. we are having the most horrendous summer in living memory in the UK - we're all excited that tomorrow it's going to be 18 degrees and only rain for 2 hours! I literally feel like the tin man/woman - the awful weather is making me seize up day by day and I have to force myself to walk/gently exercise other wise I'm sure I would be a in a wheel chair by the year end. There's a saying................IF YOU CAN'T THEN YOU MUST. And you must walk/exercise or that is the beginning of the end..................x

mom477 07-15-2012 10:32 AM

I also can't stand for more than 10 min or walk very far. It has been getting progressively worse within the last year. I just take it moment by moment and day by day on how I feel on how I deal with it.

Hugs to all.

RavenSkies777 07-15-2012 03:23 PM

Yes, you need to exercise your muscles but the key is to PACE YOURSELF. Over exertion will also lead to a flare up that takes longer to recover from. I walk at a moderate pace on my treadmill 5x a week for 30-60 minutes depending on what my body will allow that particular day.

TexasLady1952 07-15-2012 04:21 PM

I have terrible sharp pains in my fingers and the thumbs. I guess what I am really trying to figure out is if it is my worn out hips and knees why don't they suggest replacing them. I know there isn't anything that can be done about my spine, so it looks to me as if they are addressing the fibro as if it is the main cause.....Really confused here. Thanks!

nettedee8 07-16-2012 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=TexasLady1952;5018653]Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has the same problems I am having. Having been diagnosed with Fibro, arthritis, hips and knees worn also have problems with neck and lower back, from one day to the next am unable to walk. Have been going to doctors for years, and lately unable to take any of the meds. (the latest ones are celebrex, cymbalta and savella. Why can't I walk? Hope this is enough info to get some ideas. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I'm either allergic or cant handle the side effects. I have issues withheld balance. An walking. Have you been checked for Multiple Sclerosis?

ponytaildave 07-17-2012 11:49 PM

Hello there sorry you can't walk or stand very long , I know first hand what your going thru, I can't stand or walk very long either and I can't do anything repetitive it just causes to much pain or can't hold myself up and legs colapse under me now and then, I am currently on cymbalta and hydrocodone witch doesn't seem to help

TexasLady1952 07-18-2012 01:16 AM

It seems to me as if everyone I talk to has or had some sort of spine trouble before the Fibro. Example, if not an actual spine injury then I hear them say they have scoliosis, if I spelled that correctly. Then it seems as if it all eventually affects the nerves. Not sure there is any real insight in this because in my family there seems to be a thread of Lupis also. All the doctors want to give me hydrocodone, and I keep a script of it on had for the times when I can do nothing but lay down and cry, but I refuse to take them on a daily maintenance level.

My sisters and I would be a perfect study in all this because there are three of us all by different fathers and have the same problems. I was raised by my grandmother she had bad knees but my mother (not related to my grandmother) had the same problems that I do.

I am studying all the time and am just taking supplements etc and trying to keep moving for the time being. This is all really frustrating.

TexasLady1952 07-18-2012 01:18 AM

It seems to me as if everyone I talk to has or had some sort of spine trouble before the Fibro. Example, if not an actual spine injury then I hear them say they have scoliosis, if I spelled that correctly. Then it seems as if it all eventually affects the nerves. Not sure there is any real insight in this because in my family there seems to be a thread of Lupis also. All the doctors want to give me hydrocodone, and I keep a script of it on had for the times when I can do nothing but lay down and cry, but I refuse to take them on a daily maintenance level.

My sisters and I would be a perfect study in all this because there are three of us all by different fathers and have the same problems. I was raised by my grandmother she had bad knees but my mother (not related to my grandmother) had the same problems that I do.

I am studying all the time and am just taking supplements etc and trying to keep moving for the time being. This is all really frustrating.