It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

Historiana HB User
Unhappy Fibromyalgia flare-up?

Last year, I was officially diagnosed with FM by a pain clinic. It manifests itself mainly through constant neck pain and stiff neck and shoulders, which create migraines. I also have constant general achiness. The FM may or may not contribute to IBS, but that's something I've had since I was a kid, so I'm not sure, and I control that fairly well with diet. Compared to many others with FM, like my mom, I would think I have it fairly easy.

Anyway, the past few months, I've gone through some intense stress--work, death of a family member through cancer, friend in crisis dragging me along with her, etc etc. And now things are settling somewhat but all of sudden on Tuesday, I started getting these horrible abdominal pains. Felt like stabbing pains, gas pains. I took a gas pill, it did nothing. I put heat on it, and that helped somewhat until I had to get up early for work the next day. I now have lower back pain, bloating, constipation (which I never get), nausea, weird heartburn where my throat feels like its on fire, stiff muscle down one leg to the knee. This bloating thing has been going on for a week prior to the attack.

Over the past couple of days the symptoms have eased somewhat but the muscle pain is still there, but with the incidence of cancer in my family at a young age, my inclination is to be paranoid. But suddenly I thought, what if this is an FM flare-up? I'm not familiar with what that would be like, so I'm coming to you all for help. Can you guys give me information? I could really use the help before I go to the doctor and spend a million bucks on testing for something that's not there.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia flare-up?

The stomach is considered to be the second brain, so if you have stress, that's where it will hit. I have been where you are many times over. Not easy to say relax, but try to if you can, Life is hard sometimes, but try to control whatever you can.

I hope you feel better.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It could be a combination of stress and fibro. For now, I would say try to relax and take care of yourself emotionally, also try to take care of yourself physically. A bland diet with whole grains and veggies could help your digestion get back on track. Try to get your meals on a regular schedule. Walking is also good for the digestion, oddly enough. Moving your legs helps the digestive muscles.

If it doesn't seem to be improving, then get it checked out.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi and welcome,
try miralax for the constipation. ask your doctor for belladonna for the intestinal cramps. increase your water intake. take warm baths. sounds like an ibs flare with fibro jumping on board for the ride. since cancer runs in your family, go bug your doctor and be sure you are okay. peace of mind is everything with fibro. you have enough to absorb without a maybe hanging over your head. to heck with the cost, peace of mind is priceless.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User

Hi Historiana

Personally for me when I am under stress (emotionally or physically) my fibro flares up BAD. Last spring was the worst I've experienced since my diagnosis in 2006. I moved, got divorced (but since then have found my forever & true love) and my dear grandmother passed away at age 89 due to a stroke. I had a week to settle in to my new home and try to process all this before leaving for a 2 week work trip. I lost 20 pounds in less than a month due to the stress. I had to take codeine (which I rarely do) in combination with the amitriptyline my dr prescribes me for my fibro symptoms. Normally I do VERY well just on the amitriptyline alone.

Ice packs and moist heat work wonders for me when my muscles are beyond tense from stress. Chamomile tea is great for helping with sleep at night. I know it's hard but with time you'll learn how to distract yourself and relax. Read a book, see a movie, have a friend visit you. It all helps.

Closed Thread