It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Kids and fibro??

Is fibro hereditary at all? My 11 yr old has been having some tingling in her arms and she complains of pain in different parts of her body. Her neck will also hurt. She has a physical next week and she is going to bring up everything.

I had started hurting around her age and it was always ignored by my parents. Red flag went up when she would tell me how she was feeling. I feel bad for kinda dismissing it but only because I am worried and hope she won't have it either.

Do kids get fibro as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: Kids and fibro??

I believe it is hereditary, I started getting symptoms in my twenties but was not diagnosed for years. My daughter was diagnosed with fibro at 21 and looking back there were signs in her early teens. Fingers crossed your daughter does not have it.

Best wishes,
Ann

Last edited by Agenda; 07-15-2012 at 02:02 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
mom477 (07-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Sorry posted twice, hands not co operating today

Best wishes,
Ann

Last edited by Agenda; 07-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User

Yes, fibro can affect anyone of any age. It does not have to be hereditary but I also (along with my doctor) believe that Fibro can be hereditary. A few members of my family have it and all started showing symptoms around the same age that I did. Various types of arthritis are also very common in my family. Fingers crossed that your daughter doesn't have to deal with this as well.

Last edited by RavenSkies777; 07-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, fibro often starts in childhood. Probably the best thing you can do at this point is to get her involved in something like yoga, where she can learn about stretching and gentle exercise early on.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Yoga would be good. Will see what her doctor says. I sure hope she doesn't have it. Noone else in my family has it as far as I know

Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi mom,
to date there is no data to prove it can be inherited. only supposition like the rest of the "info" we have on fibro. i am the only one in my family including extended family with fibro.
i hope it's growing pains and not fibro for your little one. in my perfect world children never get sick or go hungry. i dare to dream.
my son is 34 and has self inflicted health problems. it's hard to watch.
peace,
blue

Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

My daughter is 7 and also complains at times about random body parts hurting. Her pediatrician knows about my history and just wants to keep an eye on it. A little trick I have found is when she complains of pain, I give her some "medicine" which is normally a teaspoon of fruit juice. Within an hour she is back to her usual self. Obviously if she's stilll complaining after an hour I will then give her "super medicine" which is childrens advil. One thing we also have to keep in mind is are children picking up on how we feel, for instance she complains about pain when she's at her fathers house but most of her pain seems to occur when she is with me.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

My daughter's doesn't think fibro. She will be getting a mri due to numbness in her arm to see if a nerve is blocked and will go from there. My kids rarely complain of pain unless they actually are in pain. My daughter wanted to see her doc to find out the why. So we shall see. My kids's doc does know my history and family history.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hey there
It's my understanding that fibro I hereditary. I wonder if my Grandmother & Daughter have it. My Grandmother has hashimoto but for years now she doesn't do much. She doesn't complain but I know her knees among other things hurt. Then I think she's always tired. I think she has it, just a more mild form.
My daughter is 12 & she complains about being tired, body aches, ect. She has insomnia issues so I give her melatonin to sleep every night. She does have high cholesterol which is heavy on her dads side & will always be a battle for her. So that could also be causing her issues.
Doesn't hurt to have her cholesterol, thyroid, vitamin D, ect checked. I also agree with her doing yoga. I wanna do Pilates just haven't been able to exercise in awhile. But that really works your muscles so have to take it really slow.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread