It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Some info to share...

Hi Everyone,

I have been awol for a while....sorry.....I missed you all. I am just stopping in to share some info from my rheumy. Had my 6mo. come in and tell me how you are doing visit this morning....giggle. He is really a great doc, he just doesn't know what to do with me. So he prescribes as little as possible to make me comfortable because that is what we both want. He gives me an exam....yes, he actually puts his hands on me and checks things out. We talk, sometimes about both our families and our frustrations. Today I met his new NP, and I will see her next time.

He gave me some new info....well it is old news, but making a resurgence. He said it is all the buzz right now. So I thought I would pass it along and maybe it would help those who haven't tried it and for those like me who have let it slide and forgotten about it.

He said to take Turmeric 500mgs twice a day or you can get 900mgs and take it once a day. I use to take this and ran out of it and got busy (and I know Blue is laughing cause she knows how busy my busy can be) and forgot about it.
Probiotics Lactobacillas Rhamnosus.....another one we ran out of and I didn't replace. Anyway it is for the gut, but it helps keep the inflammation in the gut down. It has to say Rhamnosus....so he says.
Fish Oil, we all know about this. Again I have it, I just don't take the time to grab the bottle. He says it has to have EPA and DHA (I thought they all did, but on research I found they didn't) total of 1500mgs a day. Now you have to look at the bottle, it has to have a combination of the EPA and DHA that totals the 1500 or close to it. The bottle will say 1000mgs, but may only have 200EPA and 300DHA, that doesn't get it.
He also suggested some veggies that would give you some Turmeric....brussel sprouts, cauliflower and I think the other was broccoli....don't shoot the messenger......giggle just passing it along!

Doc is winding down, trying not to put in 60hrs. a week that is why he hired a NP. Use to have one in his super busy office. Since he moved (hooray closer to me) he is trying to take it slower. He suffers from joint pain himself and he has a daughter with MS. He cracks me up, I told him about the new PCP we had to pick from the offices on the floor above him. Our former PCP moved. Anyway told him I wasn't impressed with the new guy....he hesitated a minute and then said, "he is a little bland." I smiled and said, "that is a good word to describe him." Doc got a little grin on his face too! He said if you want, when you come in next time and see the NP she can run your cholesterol and needed blood work, you don't have to see him for that. It saves you an office visit charge. Doc and I have been together 9yrs. now we are pretty comfortable with each other. Ok fibro friends, when things slow down for me.....she falls off her chair laughing.....I will try to catch up with everyone.

Peace and pain free days everyone,
Glojer

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
thefarm (07-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Some info to share.....

ooh many thanks for this Glojer - i have also been remiss/lazy at taking my fish oil and probiotics too! Never heard of turmeric being in a capsule form before only as a powder for cooking - is it available form health food stores?

The following user gives a hug of support to thesweetlife:
Glojer (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Some info to share.....

Hi Sweetlife, I get my turmeric and vitamins from puritans pride. They have a sale now, buy two get three free. But yes, they have them in places where they sell vitamins. Mine are a capsules.

thesweetlife (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Some info to share...

Hi there busy lady, thanks for sharing your docs visit with us. Good supplement info and some of my favorite veggies too! So I won't shoot you...how 'bout a gentle ((hug))

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
Glojer (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi glojer,
you bet i was laughing, more than once. giggle. isn't it nice when your doc is also a friend? everything is just easier with a friend. good info girl! bland. crack me up. met a few of those along the way. like talking to cardboard.
glad he reminded you how it was you managed to feel so good and now do not. giggle. you forgot your vitamins! neener, neener. i can laugh cause i do the same thing. well maybe not for as long but my life is not as hectic as yours.
hugs to the family.
peace,
blue

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Glojer (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks WW and Blue, and Sweetlife for your replies.

WW, I like all those veggies too. Braveman isn't too crazy about them, except broccoli, so I don't fix them as often as I should. My favorite, doc mentioned this too, is brussel sprouts with oil and vinegar and parmesean cheese. My DIL broils them with oil and the cheese on them. The kids eat them up.
Blue, Yes, I am on the run again this morning......giggle.....and again tomorrow. Yesterday was a trip after the docs visit.....you don't even want to know.....giggle. Oh well if I wasn't so busy I would probably be getting into trouble.

Peace and pain free days everyone,
Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 07-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.

CMJacobs (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
(female)

CMJacobs HB User

Thanks for sharing the info from your doctor. I will definitely be looking into them. I am so jealous of your relationship with him. :-) I have yet to find a good one - mine is just so-so.

The following user gives a hug of support to CMJacobs:
Glojer (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi CM, welcome to the boards. Yes, I wish I had as good a relationship with all my docs as I do with the rheumy. It wasn't always so smooth. At first I was very frustrated because he couldn't tell me what was wrong. I think I wanted him to make my blood work come out right, so he could give me a definitive diagnosis. I tried another rheumy once and she was awful.....more than awful! She did not know how to listen and that made me realize that Doc G. listens to me. I realized that I always took a big list of questions in to ask him and he would sit and answer everyone of them, never made me feel rushed. He would wait for me to write my answers. Finally we established a relaxed way of communicating. He never offered a new medication without first giving me printed info on it and telling me to go home and research it and then call him with my questions and then I could decide if I wanted to take it. And of course I did and when I called, his NP would answer and get him to the phone right away. I didn't have to wait until he was finished with office hours or any of that. And this was when he was at his busy practice. Now we can communicate via email since so many offices are going computer. He has written a book about listening to his patients and has lectured at medical conferences about learning to listen to patients to be a better doc.

I hear you on the so-so doc thing. I have had those too. I am too old now to deal with them, but wish I knew when I was younger what I know now about kicking those bad docs to the curb and finding a new one and not looking back.

Glojer

Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi cm,
welcome. you may want to shop around for a new doctor. i went thru firing 18 of them to find the team i have now. i have several doctors so they have to be with me on my health or they have to go.
nothing feels as good as firing a doctor that is inadequate to your needs. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. shooting you some energy glojer. need the wonder woman suit?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the energy blue, I can use it. I could use that wonder woman suit, but may have to have it altered to fit my larger size.....giggle. Just went with pregnant daughter to her obligatory gestational diabetes test and then to our favorite breakfast place. We had our favorites of course, mine is the raisin bread french toast. Well, that is one of mine there. I have so much running to do today, maybe that will help take some of it off. Oh, shoot, by running I really mean driving the car and going in the store and driving to the next store and going in there.....giggle. Maybe I will park at the end of the lot. What am saying, it is over 100 degrees here......giggle. Does that wonder women suit come with air conditioning built in....giggle....giggle. Actually it seems a little cooler today, it may be only 98 or 99. We should cool down this weekend to lower 90's that will be a nice break.

Peace a pain free days everyone,
Glojer

Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

hi glojer,
the suit is magic, it will do whatever you want it to do, even fit! giggle. give your dots baby bump a rub for me. love baby bumps.
be safe out there in that humid heat.
love french toast with fruit and cream cheese. treadmill time girl. giggle. find a day and unplug the phone asap please. and she falls off her chair laughing!
peace,
blue

Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Blue, the suit fits great and it brought with it some rain for our scorched community. I love hearing the thunder, makes me confident it might rain for a while. Would love this slow and gentle rain to last for a couple of days. Inhaler and mucinex time to loosen this chest and be able to get more oxygen to my brain....giggle....it could use something, maybe that will help.....giggle. The mucinex will help the water gain also.

Peace and pain free days,
Glojer

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

hi glojer,
so glad you got rain too. i miss the sound of thunder rolling over the mountains but we just don't seem to have that much here. sorry your breathing is difficult. same here only it's smoke in the skies again.
shall i send you next a truck load of tissues? giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Blue, Sorry you are having the smokey skies and smokey air to breathe. This is one time I would tell you.....don't take a deep breath......giggle! I am hoping tissues will not be necessary, I'm going to keep sucking on this inhaler. Checked my blood pressure this morning and it was low, need to see if it is the inhaler that may be causing it. If it keeps up I will need to email the 'bland' new doc, see what he says. Braveman has his favorite person coming to the house this morning.....the cable guy....giggle!!! I'm so glad he has friends....she says laughing her arse off. Fresh air and wonderful cool breezes sent to you my friend.

Glojer

Closed Thread