It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User
FM, Tinnitus & Medications

I've had fibro and tinnitus since 2006. The majority of the time I have been able to ignore the ringing in my ears. Lately though it seems to be getting louder...or at least I THINK it is. Maybe I'm just more aware of it right now.

I used to wear a night guard for my TMJ that seemed to help the ringing somewhat. I have been without it for a year though as it's now broken and I can't afford the 800+ in dental fees to have a new one made. I'm trying to hold out until October when medical benefits go into effect for my spouse and I can get coverage through his insurance.

Just curious if anyone has any tips out there about other methods that can help to calm the ringing? I have read that ginkgo biloba can be beneficial but I have also read that taking ginkgo along with amitriptyline (which I take daily) can increase risk of seizures but my doc doesn't seem to be too concerned about that. Thoughts??

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: FM, Tinnitus & Medications

I wish I had some good advice for you. I also have that dreaded ringing. White noise seems to cover it up most of the time. When it's real quiet boy does it ring. I tried lowering salt intake, that was said to help but it did not. I believe my ringing is from meds because I never did have it before I started the cymbalta.
Would an OTC mouth piece help you for the TMJ ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

RavenSkies777 HB User

Hi WoodsWalker,

Sorry that you're dealing with the ringing too! I agree with you that for the most part I can ignore it. I've been trying my hardest to train myself to tune into other sounds instead of the tinnitus. Some days though it's impossible. When I'm having a pain flare with my Fibromyalgia I find the ringing is worse. I'm on a pretty strict low sodium diet already.

I'm considering checking out the OTC night guards again. I bought one when my proper one broke but found it impossible to fit properly and it was waaaay too thick. I know there are thinner ones out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

I downloaded a new white noise app on my iPod that has an awesome mix of rain, wind and thunder. Let that run last night while sleeping and it did a great job at distracting me. Thank goodness my boyfriend sleeps with earplugs LOL!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
(male)

Gstien HB User

I surround myself with noise.
A fan (in the bedroom at night and in the den), music in my office and in my car, etc. Yeah I still hear the ringing quite loudly, but the "aids" I listed help keep my mind off it. I've tried some sort of ear plugs designed to calm down the ringing (due to some vitamins, etc in the wax), but they didn't work either.
Maybe an allergist or ear nose and throat doctor could suggest a remedy. My last one didn't have a solution, but just because he doesn't know doesn't mean another doctor will give the same answer. They all go to school at different places, and read different materials each day.

Closed Thread