It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Should I talk to my doctor about fibro?

On and off I've wondered if I might have fibromyalgia. If I do, it's a very mild case. I'm VERY sensitive to chemicals and medications - I can't take a lot of things because of side-effects. I can't handle stress. I suffer from anxiety and periodic depression. My balance is pretty poor and I always have bruises from running into things, but that's also because I'm partly blind in one eye so my peripheral vision is lousy. Over the years I've had a lot of problems with tendonitis and muscle injuries. Nothing really serious, but I seem to strain things incredibly easily and it takes a long time to recover.

I need at LEAST 8 hours of sleep a night, plus a nap a lot of days. When I don't get enough sleep, I have a lot of pain. The less sleep I get, the more my arms/legs/joints ache, and the harder it is for me to rest and recover. The last few weeks I've been sleeping very poorly and waking up many times a night, and I'm in a lot of pain. I try not to take pills (I can't take aleve or ibuprofen any more because I became sensitive to both of them) but I had to take tylenol last night to get the aching down to a sleepable level. I woke up at 6 and got up for an hour, then went back to bed for another two hours and I still hurt. Today my wrists, forearms, elbows, shoulders, knees, calves and ankles are all aching at once.

This year my health took a six-month nosedive, and when I look back, it's all related to trying to push myself too hard. For a few months I was trying to meet commitments outside the house 5 days a week. I can NOT do that. Every single time I've pushed myself too hard for a single event, I come down sick immediately after. Then I'd get somewhat better and try to go back to what I was doing, and get sick again. In the last six months, I've been housebound for three of them and struggling for another two. The only reason I recovered was because I resolved to stay home for as long as it took and I spent a whole MONTH at home resting and not trying to do anything that seemed like it might be too much. They've checked for asthma and heart problems (because I was having major shortness of breath, exhaustion, repeated respiratory illness and breathing difficulties) and I'm fine. They've looked for anemia etc and I'm fine. Every time I have a test for something, it seems to come out normal. I'm starting to feel like I'm just wasting everyone's time...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Should I talk to my doctor about fibro?

hi kaji,
congrats on being a former agoraphobe!!!! that's a big deal. definately talk to your doctor about it. best to rule things out and give yourself a path and some peace of mind. it is what you pay them for, to listen and help you help yourself.
if you do we are here to help you adapt and find the tools that work for you.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

I was in so much pain on Saturday I was ready to do anything to make it go away... I'm a lot better now. Now I feel kind of silly for even wanting to go to the doctor about it 'yeah doc, well I was in extreme pain for three days straight, but I'm just a little sore now.' If I stay home and rest all week I expect the flare will be over... and I'm left in the same place I've been for the last ten years. Knowing something isn't quite right, but really wondering whether it's all just in my head... oh well.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

don't down play what you are feeling. go see your doc and tell what you experienced. just because it ended does not mean a reason why cannot be searched for. please don't feel silly about it. trust me we all went thru that phase of wondering if we were losing it! giggle.
i hope you decide to get a full check over and tell your doc what has been happening to you.
peace,
blue

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

It's not that I WANT to have something wrong with me... but I'm getting frustrated that I don't seem to have anything going on that can actually be identified. At least if somebody said 'hey, you've got 'this' going on, I'd have a reason for why I feel more like I'm 70 than 40. I've been beating myself up over my lack of resiliance forever. Since nobody can find anything, I just assume that it must all be in my overactive imagination.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I admit, when I was first diagnosed with fibro I was devastated. (I was quite a bit younger then.) Still, I think the diagnosis did a lot of good in the long run. No more tests, no more wondering, just working on feeling good and living well.

Tell the doctor that this sort of thing happens. Try to remember the dates of the last 3 occurrences, so you have a sense of how frequent it is.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I don't remember when the last time was. I remember looking fibromyalgia up on facebook and concluding that I'd better stop whining because I wasn't anywhere nearly as badly affected as the people in the support groups... that was some time last year. But this year I've been sick with other things so much that I really haven't been pushing myself. The only real correlation is that immediately before each illness I've had to push myself as far as I could for a few days. And inbetween illnesses I went through a few weeks when I was wondering whether I had chronic fatigue syndrome or something because I was oh so very tired that I was sleeping 10 hours at night PLUS a 2 hour nap.

Since I was dithering about going to the doctor, I decided to take the library books back and see how that little outing went - not nearly as well as I'd hoped! It's only two blocks each way and I didn't have a lot to carry but it felt like about a thousand tons. And when I got home, my legs were shaking almost too much to hoist myself up the stairs. It felt like climbing Mount Everest, even more so than when my lungs were playing up. Now I can breathe just fine - it's the rest of me that's not cooperating.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, that sounds bad enough to be worth looking into. Get some bloodwork, if you haven't had any recently, and see what the doc says.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I agree. I understand you don't want something to be wrong, but you think there might be. When I went to the rheumy for fibro I thought that he would just blow me off. Like when I was a child and they said "you'll grown out of it".

That kind of pain and exhaustion isn't normal, so my vote would be find a nice rheumy to get looked into. You could always start with your primary care. And definitely get a good blood work-up, because there are something many deficiencies that you could also have. My tiredness was because of fibro and I also had a slight b-12 deficiency.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
(female)

loriann08 HB User

Hi...my name is lori and I can truely relate to how you feel.I would hurt so bad everywhere I finally went to my family doctor ld her i can hardly function anymore im in so much pain and i have a few little lumps asked her if rheumtory arthiritis,so she did some blood work on me but it came back ok, so she touched me in different areas and i told her i hurt everwhere especially my legs and i felt like i was walking on nails. I have had fibroyalgia now for about 8months. I am 51 years old,had to quit job as a nurse aide and now i take my pills and hardly go outside. I also have emphazema,so my life is no picnic. Honestly i get depressed over it all. I feel like im living a life of a 90yr old. I can sleep all nite and i still take a nap during the day.After i do any kind of housework,i am exhausted for the day. Please go see your doctor,dont wait until your pain doesnt go away. Take Care.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Well, DH tried to make me an appointment but the receptionist has a bad bug so they weren't booking anyone in... it'll have to wait. I rested this afternoon and felt a lot better and then I had to carry a bunch of stuff downstairs because the person picking it up didn't tell me they were disabled... that went fine and I felt okay and I rested some more - then I had to make dinner and it took everything I had just to stand in front of the wretched stove cutting stuff up and sticking it in the pan. As soon as it was in the oven I wobbled my way over to the couch and flopped down for awhile to recover. Something is definitely NOT RIGHT.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worked yourself all up to do it, then no luck? Darn. But yes, something is definitely not right. Good luck!

In the meanwhile, try to do as much as you reasonably can without making things worse. Some light activity through the day, resting as you need in between.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I have an appointment for Monday morning. I've got a feeling I'm going to feel like a total idiot because the pain and stiffness have been gradually ebbing all week and by Monday they'll most likely be gone if I've managed to sleep through the night at least once. Last night I only woke up once, at 3am, but I was WIDE AWAKE for hours. And I wasn't hurting then either... but tonight I am!

Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Well, I still woke up 6 times... but I stayed in bed and went back to sleep again instead of getting up. Still hurting this morning. So this is what I'll tell the doctor. All of these have been ongoing tendencies for at least a decade, but never nearly as bad as this last week. -

I'm in pain every day. The intensity varies from mild to fairly severe. The more tired I am, the more I hurt. The long muscles in my arms and legs feel like they're sunburned on the inside. Joints ache. And I get the occasional stabbing pain elsewhere for no apparant reason.
My hands and feet go numb/pins and needles fairly often when I'm sitting or lying down. I have trouble opening packages/bottles/pull-tops etc. I have to pull as hard as I can and it's often not successful. Either they've made everything twice as hard to open as it used to be, or I've lost strength in my hands.
My balance/co-ordination have never been good. I lose my balance fairly easily especially when I turn/pivot on one foot.
I can't sleep through the night. I've woken at least twice a night for the last fortnight. I need to rest/nap in the afternoon. Yesterday I didn't nap to see if I'd sleep better - it didn't make a difference, except my arms hurt more this morning. It's most comfortable to sleep with my arms and legs straight (flat on my back) rather than my customary curled-on-my-side.
I'm VERY stiff when I have been in one position for a long time. I shuffle like an old lady until I loosen up.

And I think that's everything...

Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Kaji, put all those things on a written list and hand it to your dr. I took in my laundry list and did just that. My doc went thru the list one thing at a time with me right then. Then all the darn testing began one symptom at a time.

Closed Thread