It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

Gmommy49 HB User
Adderall

My Fibromyalgia doctor called me last week and informed me that the DEA has told them the they can no longer prescribe Adderall as treatment for Fibromyalgia. Has anyone else received this information and has their doctor made any alternative medication suggestions?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Adderall

The FDA is becoming more strict about all controlled substances, especially about "off-label" prescribing, that is, prescribing it for a condition other than those it has been specifically approved to treat. As a matter of fact, many doctors are becoming nervous about prescribing ANYTHING off-label, controlled or not!

For example, I'm allergic to a common asthma medicine. So I asked my doctor about using another medicine, also approved for asthma, in a slightly different way than it is usually prescribed, since several studies found it works well that way. He basically said, "I'll give you the drug, do what you want, but I don't want to know, because I could get sued for prescribing off-label."

Speaking as someone who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia eight years before any drugs were FDA approved to treat it, I find this obsession with sticking to the labels pretty funny. Heck, I'm not switching to Lyrica or Savella! They cost a fortune and I don't like the side effect profiles. My tricyclic, nortriptyline, costs about $12 per month and works fine. Of course, no drug company will bother getting that approved for fibro. It's generic, they wouldn't make any money on the deal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
(female)

Gmommy49 HB User

Thank you janewhite1 for your comments. When she first called she said that the DEA were going to allow them to continue writing a small percentage of the drug. However, at my appointment two days later she said they had gotten another letter fromt he DEA and it said NO prescriptions at all. I took my last pill on Thursday and have had a pretty rough weekend. Although I can't "feel" a difference, I'm having trouble deciding if it is the lack of medication or just another bad weekend..

Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I've actually never heard of that being prescribed for fibro, ADHD and narcolepsy yes. How does it work? I've been on adderall for ADHD for a long time now.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

Gmommy49 HB User

Fibro pain keeps me up at night, sometimes for several nights in a row. My doc feels that the Adderall helps you to get up and move. She has used it for quite some time now as treatment for Fibro patients. The jury is still out on the effect it was having on me as I just came off of it on Friday and have had a really bad weekend and so far things haven't gotten any better today. However, I've had these types of days before, several in a row, and it could be one of those spells. I'll update as things improve.

Closed Thread

Tags
fibromyalgia, fibromyalgia treatment