It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

dootz HB User
Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Myofascial pain syndrome is no joke! It took me 4 years to get diagnosed and the Rheumatologist first told me I had Central Mediated Pain Syndrome...Well, I looked that up and couldn't find squat on it. I did however find Central Pain Syndrome. I obtained copies of my medical records, which showed both the central pain syndrome and myofasical pain syndrome. I made another appointment with the doctor to have him explain my diagnosis to me and basically he rolled them all up in a nutshell and called it fibromyalgia. Well, they are similar but not exactly the same. I hurt and I hurt bad. I can't use my right arm for much at all. If I don't take the medications then I won't be able to use my legs either. This is a very depressing illness and I have been denied twice for disability. I am on round #3, the hearing stage. If they only knew what it was like to be in my body...I wouldn't wish it on them but if they only knew. Okay, enough of that....sooo this was my first post, I guess I had to vent a little.

The Following User Says Thank You to dootz For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (08-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Myofascial Pain Syndrome

That's actually a pretty good description of what fibro seems to be: A mix of myofascial pain syndrome and central pain syndrome. I love what you just said, now I'm thinking about fibro treatment in a whole new way!

The myofascial pain is the muscle knots. It is best addressed with careful stretching and exercise, plus maybe massage therapy to work on the trigger points. Muscle relaxants or antispasmodics like Baclofen can relax them. If the knots just won't let go, a doctor can perform trigger point injections.

The central pain syndrome is about signal noise in the nerves. It's best treated with nerve medicines like Neurontin, Lyrica or certain types of antidepressants. If you have a lot of central pain, deep tissue massage might be too hard, and you might need gentler massage to calm the nerves. There are various forms of deep breathing and meditation that can also provide relief. Cardiovascular exercise as tolerated also reduces central pain.

So, which family of treatments is best? Depends whether you have more myofascial pain or more central pain. Me, I'm primarily myofascial. The central only shows up on the particularly bad days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

dootz HB User
Re: Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Thanks for your reply, although I am saddened that you are suffering, it is comforting to know that I am not in this alone. My younger sister has fibromyalgia but she is not having the same issues as I am, (thank the Lord for that!), she is 15 years younger than myself also, which is helpful I am sure. When I take a shower it feels like I am being shot with a million darts; when I walk I feel like I have glass shards in my feet; my neck, c5 and c6 (go figure) feel like they are being compressed like a rockem sockem robot. I have brain fog, sometimes my speech gets garbled, I suffer from insomnia, the list goes on and on. I feel like I spend all day long fighting with my body. By the time I go to bed I am so fatigued that I can't sleep.

Closed Thread