It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User
Hi, new to boards not new to FM

Let me just apologize up front for being so long winded. I think I just need to tell my story to anyone who understands what I've been through. After lurking for many weeks, I finally have the strength and courage to tell some of my story. In 2004 I had a severe lower back episode that came about while I was doing much needed painting and home repairs. After getting referred to an Orthopedic Back Doctor, his diagnosis after a MRI was two bulging discs (L2 and L3) and a slipped L5 disc. I went through Physical Therapy and drug therapy to no avail as far as helping with the pain. My Doctor recommended Radio Leisioning Therapy of my lower lumbar, which I accepted. The left side of my lower lumbar nerves leisioning went off without a hitch. While having the procedure on my right side, the machine malfunctioned and I felt an awful burning sensation down my right hip and leg. After me screaming to the Doctor something was wrong he immediately turned off the machine made some adjustments, fixed the machine, and continued the procedure until he was finished without any further problems. Granted it took me a week to recuperate from the procedure, I healed up and was back at work the next week. A year later I had to have the same procedure done, for the pain had come back, not as bad as the first time, but bad nonetheless. After the second procedure, I didn't bounce back as quickly as the first time, and it didn't relieve the pain as well as the first time. However after about two to three weeks I was able to return to work, but was still in pain. I had steroid injections in my SI joint that helped with the pain and got me off the pain pills. After that procedure however, I felt it was time to find another way of dealing with the pain. Here came the anti-inflammatories. I took Mobic for another year and a half, and then had to have surgery on my right hip for a labral tear repair. Not sure if it was caused by the RLT malfunction two years prior or not. They took me off the Mobic prior to my hip surgery, and put me on Celebrex. I found that it helped me with my lower back pain better than the Mobic, but once I ran out of it, I couldn't get any of my doctors to write a prescription for it. Well the hip surgery also was a success, but the Doctor, after grinding away the damaged part of the labral tear he found a bone spur in my hip joint and ground it down too. This was in late 2006. My 12 week recovery turned into 9 months. I went through physical therapy, and drug therapy, but couldn't get the back pain under control. To top it all off, the pain was spreading. It wasn't just in my lower back anymore. It was all over now. I felt like I had the flu all the time, and the fatigue was absolutely insane. I went back to my primary doctor several times from 2007 to 2011 for the same complaints, pain all over and fatigue. Was sent to a Rheumatologist in 2009, who said, except for showing the early signs of RA in my hands, my blood work came back normal. So off back to my primary doctor. She runs extensive blood work once a year when I get my physical. The only abnormalities I've had were in 2010 I had extremely low B-12 and vitamin D. She put me on those and wanted me to try the drug Savella for my chronic pain I was having. Well insurance wouldn't pay for that drug, so instead of trying another drug, I was left to suffer until my next visit with my primary doctor. I even sent her the drug insurance denial letter for her to get it covered. Well no one ever let me know that it finally got covered under the drug insurance's mail order, and by the time I found out, which was January this year, my company had switched insurance companies. Just have to throw in I had been working all this time. Well in November of last year, I went to my primary doctor for a check-up to get my long term meds refilled/rewritten. Again I complained of the flu-like pain and fatigue, and this time I had a new symptom, legs and feet aching in the evenings after work and at bedtime. My primary doctor finally said "You've had this pain a long time" (I thought to myself when she said it, really, you think?) Then she said "I think you might have fibromyalgia" I'd never researched fibromyalgia, so wasn't really familiar with it. Anyway my doctor said maybe I should visit a rheumatologist again since it had been awhile. I reminded her of the last visit to the rheumatologist. Anyway, she gave me a prescription for Klonopin for the restless leg to try, and sent me on my way. Well in April this year I had to go in to get my long term meds rewritten for they had expired. I scheduled the appointment the first week of May this year. This visit was the same as all the others, same complaints, also the restless leg, only the pain in my feet and legs had changed to numbing and burning all the time now. This visit she rewrote my long term prescriptions for blood pressure and she wrote me a new prescription for Lyrica. Well when I started the Lyrica it threw me into a loop. It would knock me out in thirty minutes after taking it. I'd be out for several hours. I really had to work out a schedule, so it wouldn't interfere with my work. I didn't notice a difference right away as far as the pain, but since I figured it would take awhile for the drug to work I continued it. She also wanted me to see a Neurologist for the burning and numbing in my feet and legs. At the end of May I was involved in fender bender, rear ended from behind. It caused a severe whiplash, and then it was discovered during treatment, I had two bulging C4 and C5 discs causing nerve impingement to both arms. Here it is August, and I'm still having problems with my neck and right arm/shoulder. I'm still suffering with burning/numbing and now painful feet. My Neurologist diagnosed me with painful neuropathy of the feet, and confirmed my diagnosis of fibromyalgia and doubled my Lyrica dosage. I haven't been able to drive since my wreck, because my neck won't turn enough without pain, and my right shoulder is still hurting. Therefore, I haven't been able to work. So now not only do I hurt most of the time on a daily basis, I can no longer pay my bills since I have no income. Lovely spot to be in, for a FM sufferer, don't you think? On top of all this, I have a friend who says I shouldn't be satisfied with my diagnosis of FM, and doesn't know how to gentle hug. Which by the way is very painful to say the least. My feet and leg pain and burning has not went away, the all over pain is excruciating at times, making it terrible for me to walk, sit up, or do most simple tasks throughout my home. The fatigue is terrible, and how in the world can I be so tired when I don't do much of anything now? I try to get up and move around just so my muscles don't start to atrophy. I'm not ready to give up just yet, but it's getting harder and harder not to. It makes me stressed and worried. Two of the biggest enemies of all FM sufferers. Thanks for listening/reading. It made me feel better to tell someone, anyone that knows what I am going through, instead of falling on deaf ears. It's awful how some friends and family just don't understand how bad we can feel at times. How depressed we can get knowing we can't do everything we used to do. We have to take all this medication to feel even the slightest bit normal, even if it doesn't last long or doesn't work. Sorry so long. Gentle Hugs for everyone...

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lehcar
Irishree (08-06-2012), WoodsWalker (08-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Hi, new to boards not new to FM

A gentle hug back to you, welcome aboard and out of lurking land. I bet it felt good to get all that out and down in writing. You sound like quite the fighter and that is so good in your favor dealing with this crap. I'm not sure what normal is any more, I do know it is not what it used to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
lehcar (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

yes it felt good to put it out there for all that was bottled up inside me..although I have many other health problems, some related and some I just don't know if they are related..I wish there wasn't so many different drug combinations to try before finding the right one that works if any. I know we all wish for that "miracle pill" or just a miracle cure for our condition..I can dream can't I?..lol

Old 08-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
(female)

board submission duplicated

Last edited by lehcar; 08-05-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: board submission duplicated

Old 08-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
(female)

board submission duplicated

Last edited by lehcar; 08-05-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: duplicated for some strange reason

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

Hi and welcome to our little family. Sounds like you have been through the ringer. This fibro thing is a rough one and stress only makes it worse. Not that that really helps. because life is stressful and sometimes we just have no control. I hope that by being here you will find some compassion that will help you cope. Please keep talking, it really helps. Hope today is better than yesterday.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmrots For This Useful Post:
lehcar (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
(female)

Irishree HB UserIrishree HB User

Hi! I'm Ree! Please don't apologize. I am long winded and new as well. I have most of the same problems you have. It took them years as well to figure out what I have wrong with me and im still getting tests. I feel for you. You have support with me..anytime! I send you gentle hugs as well. I know what you mean about loved ones not understanding...there are so many textbook things i have worng with me that i am now finding out are attributed to fibro that i tell my family and i get eyes rolled or OK we know..its fibrimyalgia...even my husband...he is the kind of person that has to see it to believe it, since there is no way to prove fibro...we are having some serious difficulty! It sucks! But prayer, patience and me listening to my rheumatologist and family doc along with my surgeon until he discharges me is what i have to do to keep ME healthy and sane. If i have to sleep, i sleep. I used to fight it because everyine just thought i was lazy. Im not lazy..im sick! Why would anyone chooses to be lazy? I just dont get it. Anyway...nice to meet you..I wish you well1

The Following User Says Thank You to Irishree For This Useful Post:
lehcar (08-06-2012)
Closed Thread