It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
(male)

bis22 HB User
Tight clothing leading to pain sensitivity... is it fibromyalgia?

Years ago, I had a coat that was too tight in the armpits and would sometimes cause my armpits to be very sore after wearing it. After a week or two, I stopped wearing the coat, but now any shirts, etc. that lightly touch my armpits often cause immediate soreness. Other clothing items that were apparently a little too tight have caused a similar effect in a couple other areas of my body. Is this fibromyalgia or what kind of condition is it? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Tight clothing leading to pain sensitivity... is it fibromyalgia?

hi bis,
my first thought is have a mamogram done. yes, a mamogram. don't laugh. men get it too. if that's fine then start the process of finding out. most of us end up with 1 rheumatologist and a fam doc. it's a long process of ruling out other things.
do you use antiperspirants? suggest you quit if you do. how long ago did you quit wearing the coat? being a guy you can at least go shirtless you lucky brat!
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
(male)

bis22 HB User

Ha, I suppose I could hang out at the beach all the time!

It was probably 3 or 4 years ago that this first started. What would a mammogram potentially find?

I'm not on any medications currently. I'm wondering if it could be something related to my nervous system, though. I also seem to have the same thing on my ears from wearing glasses that were squeezing too much. I should maybe also mention that I have burning small fiber neuropathy in my feet that seems have been suddenly caused by prescription drugs 4.5 years ago. May or may not be related...

Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
okay if it's affecting your body it could be hypersensitivity. the mamo idea was related to the possibility of fibroid cysts or cancer. but if it's affecting other areas i tend more to hypersensitivity and yea it's your nervous system that is mismessaging your brain if you have fibro. the neruopathy for no reason, other than a possible med reaction would indicate the need for a blood test for sjogrens. symptomatically it is much like fibro only it can be diagnosed and sorta treatable. i thought for 17 years it was fibro only to find out it was not just fibro. the neuropathy got me wondering so i had the test done and got it! giggle.
hey, you are a guy, you can go darn near anywhere without a shirt on! love beaches.
suggest you go online and look for a rheumy in your area who works with fibromyalgia. make sure you read the patient reviews on the doc and check ama for infractions.
happy hunting!
peace,
blue

Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

Hi bis22. I don't know the full answer to your question, but I have painful neuropathy of my feet and ankles and I can't wear socks or shoes without the pain and burning bothering me very much. To the point I don't want to wear them. I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have plenty of trigger points and of course all the other nice little disorders that seem to go hand in hand with fibro. I feel like I'm not even myself anymore. I do my best to try and stay positive, and don't get me wrong it is hard to do sometimes. Hang in there and hope that it's only hypersensitivity.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
(male)

bis22 HB User

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, it's hard for me to stay positive as well since I feel like my health issues such as this are taking over my life. I just try to have hope that I'll find a good way to deal with it someday.

What is hypersensitivity exactly? Is that an officially recognized condition? Googling it just confused me.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bis22 View Post
Years ago, I had a coat that was too tight in the armpits and would sometimes cause my armpits to be very sore after wearing it. After a week or two, I stopped wearing the coat, but now any shirts, etc. that lightly touch my armpits often cause immediate soreness. Other clothing items that were apparently a little too tight have caused a similar effect in a couple other areas of my body. Is this fibromyalgia or what kind of condition is it? Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure if hypersensitivity is your problem. Any definition I found for it just didn't match the symptoms you're experiencing. Is the soreness accompanied by a rash or redness? If so that could very well be hypersensitivity. If not, It may not be. The best way to find out is to visit your Doc when the pain or discomfort is going on so that they may try to figure out what is going on. Good luck in your findings. Wish I could be more help.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

i had 4 of my doctors tell me i was. sounds cause pain. clothing, pain. smells=nausea. i spent 7 years with a shrink working on how to live with it and fibro. runs in my family. my uncle has it so bad everyone has to whisper very softly to him. oh, and lights can cause confusion and pain. best way i can explain me having it. never googled it. i will now to see what it says. i usually go to mayo or harvard medical library for info.
gotta go, doc in the city today. off to san francisco. play day!!
peace,
blue

Closed Thread