It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

LostSoul666 HB User
Going on 20 years and still searching...

Hello everyone. I have had Fibro for the better part of 20 years now and have tried numerous different medications for the pain. Some of which worked in the beginning but as time went by my body built up a tolerance to the meds. Now I just take Tramadol 50mg which doesn't do much and do yoga breathing and hope for the best. Have any of you learned any tricks to get you through the pain with out meds?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: LostSoul666
1catsoup1 (08-07-2012), lehcar (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: Going on 20 years and still searching...

Hi and welcome to the board. I use heat pads, hot showers and swimming in a heated pool. Although I am sure you have tried all of these if you have fibro for 20 years. I cannot function for too long in a flare without painkillers, I take solphodol which are codeine based and difiene, I have young children and have to keep moving as much as possible.

I am sure you will get other replies with suggestions soon,

Good luck,

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Agenda
1catsoup1 (08-07-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
1catsoup1 (08-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

Yoga is key.

Also have your Vit D3 and B12 checked. If either is low it can cause a worsening of pain.

Malic acid works very well on muscle pain and recovery for me.

T

Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I don't have any other suggestions that others haven't posted already. Personally, I like a hot pack, but when that's not enough I jump in a hot tub.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Although you asked about non med remedies, there are 3 meds that are used for fibro on a daily basis, that are not pain meds and not addictive. You may have built up a tolerance to the Tramadol, a pain med. One is Cymbalta, an anti-depressant but also used for chronic pain with fibro and peripheral neuropathy. The other 2 are Lyrica and Neurontin, which raise the pain threshold in the nerves. Since the Tramadol is not helping much, perhaps one of those would, and you could taper off the Tramadol. I would give it some thought and discuss with your Dr if you are open to those ideas. The other suggestions are good too, as well as a TENS unit, which replaces pain sensation with vibration or pulsations. Massage is wonderful too and worth a try.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
(female)

1catsoup1 HB User

I LIKE HEAT SOMETIMES,AND I "SELF-MESSAGE" MY little "trigger points"......ie: arch,ankle, heel, or other muscle group. I have 'flare-ups', which literally render me unable to bear weight, and unable to tolerate touch of any kind. I am on Neurontin 400 mgs 2x/day, per Primary. I have no neurologists. Nephrologist(kidney doc) told me to only use Tylenol, no NSAIDS, as they are toxic to my kidneys. He also took me off Metformin and changed it to Januvia, as ,again, he felt Metformin was toxic. am also on Vit D 3, 2,000 units /day

Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi lost,
i do counting meditation and make myself walk as i do it. exercise for me is critical to keeping the pain of fibro down. i find anything fun takes my mind off my body and that eases the awarness of pain. i painted for years, then got into photography, now i am into reading again. lost that for over a decade due to fibrofog.
lots of water, deep breathing, gobs of suppliments, a few herbs, and relaxation teas. also went vegetarian 7 years ago. big help for me.
after 18 years i'd have to say attitude is my best friend for managing pain. that and laughter. i laugh a great deal, mostly at my own silly things i do.
peace,
bluelakelady

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: bluelakelady
1catsoup1 (08-09-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
1catsoup1 (08-09-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I try to keep my mind busy, less time to think about the pain seems to help me not feel it as intensely unless i'm in a flare. I also use a combo of prescription and herbs/vitamins and natural oils, use a TENS and a TheraCane to work out the tender points , knots and spasms. If I hit the spasms at the first twitch most of the time it helps me avoid muscle relaxers during the day.

It's all a hit and miss thing for all of us, what works for me may not work for you.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
(female)

1catsoup1 HB User

Please don't be stressed! You seem to be doing fine!(as fine as can be expected!) Kudos to you .

Closed Thread