It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

mareintx HB User
Intro

Hey all!

I've been lurking and reading; and finally decided that I'd be better off if I joined in.

I'm recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia - my neurologist is still 'thinking' about things but he said he is pretty sure this is it. It's been a crazy roller coaster with them doing every test under the sun and ruling out diseases and what not that I've never even heard of...in a way I'm ready to get a final word that I do have something and that I'm not just crazy.

I have a little boy, or a young man I guess, who is 9 and will be starting 4th grade soon. I have been married for just about a year and a half now. In that time I've moved and my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer. He is only 41, was 40 when diagnosed. It's been a rough road with surgeries and chemo and trying to be 'newly weds' (which is such a joke considering what we've gone through). Then during all of this my migraines took a bad turn and that is what started my personal roller coaster of feeling horrible and trying to find out what is wrong with me. All the while trying to be strong for my hubby and getting zero support from anyone because everyone is already so invested in supporting him. Oh well. Things could be much worse!! Luckily he is done with chemo and is currently cancer free!! Yay!! Now to just get me sorted out and we'll get to be 'normal' for once. Ya, right - lol!!

Anyhow - I'm trying to learn how to live and be a parent and a wife and work all while dealing with this mess. No one seems to really understand or have any answers....until I found this forum and reading about ya'll has really made me feel less alone. Thank you so much for that!!

~ Lisa

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: mareintx
Brookietrip (08-13-2012), lehcar (08-09-2012), mom477 (08-11-2012), tanasmom (08-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Intro

hi, welcome to the board. It takes time to learn the balance of life with fM, but you will in time. All that stress from dealing with hubbys cancer surely did not help you any. Fibro feeds on stress so maybe things will ease for you. Yay on him being cancer free!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi Lisa and welcome to the board. I totally understand what you were saying about getting a name on the illness. I felt much better when I finally had a label on my condition.

You have really had a tough time of it, your stress levels must have been at an all time high, no wonder your migraines were so bad. Great news on your husband being cancer free.

The great thing about this board is that we all get it, no explanations needed here. It can be a great place to ask questions or just vent.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

Welcome to our lovely group...I too am new and lurked for a long time before putting out most of my life out there for everyone to see. Fibromyalgia is a dirty word to us who have been diagnosed. Only meaning it's so hard to diagnose and all the time it takes for our docs to finally say you have it. Some of us have learned to live with it's unpredictable flares and some of us it just completely knocks us for a loop...(that would be me)...lol, but we are all a bunch of friendly supportive folks and welcome you with open arms. Take care and will look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome to the boards lisa. glad you came out of hiding. giggle. wish you had found us when you needed the support during your husbands chemo. we would have been your shoulder to lean on. oh well, we can do it now too!
i am deeply grateful your husband is done with chemo and is, at this time cancer free. having fibro is not as bad as you think. yea it hurts and it alters your whole life but if you adapt to each change with a plan and a back up plan it's doable.
get some tips from all of us, giggle, and you will be dancing again soon, even if only in your mind and heart.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
(female)

annie193 HB User
Re: welcome to the Fibro Family! Glad to have you. We've been there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareintx View Post
Hey all!

I've been lurking and reading; and finally decided that I'd be better off if I joined in.

I'm recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia - my neurologist is still 'thinking' about things but he said he is pretty sure this is it. It's been a crazy roller coaster with them doing every test under the sun and ruling out diseases and what not that I've never even heard of...in a way I'm ready to get a final word that I do have something and that I'm not just crazy.

I have a little boy, or a young man I guess, who is 9 and will be starting 4th grade soon. I have been married for just about a year and a half now. In that time I've moved and my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer. He is only 41, was 40 when diagnosed. It's been a rough road with surgeries and chemo and trying to be 'newly weds' (which is such a joke considering what we've gone through). Then during all of this my migraines took a bad turn and that is what started my personal roller coaster of feeling horrible and trying to find out what is wrong with me. All the while trying to be strong for my hubby and getting zero support from anyone because everyone is already so invested in supporting him. Oh well. Things could be much worse!! Luckily he is done with chemo and is currently cancer free!! Yay!! Now to just get me sorted out and we'll get to be 'normal' for once. Ya, right - lol!!

Anyhow - I'm trying to learn how to live and be a parent and a wife and work all while dealing with this mess. No one seems to really understand or have any answers....until I found this forum and reading about ya'll has really made me feel less alone. Thank you so much for that!!

~ Lisa

Old 08-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: welcome to the Fibro Family! Glad to have you. We've been there!

Welcome to the board. You have been through a lot and your body is responding. Fibro is always worse with stress and you certainly have alot going on. I feel the same way about the dagnosis. So glad to have a name on it. I really thought I was going crazy, since mine seemed to hit a different spot every day. It takes time to find balance and some days just hurt because they do and that's that. You will get through the flareups by being here alone. It helps me to have others going through the same thing.

Hope you hubby stays good and healthy.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Welcome!!!! Great news that your hubby is cancer free and hope he stays that way . Over time you will learn how to handle your pain and life in general. There will also be times when the pain is too much and getting through a day wi be more than you can handle. You will always find support here and feel free to vent when you're having a bad day and we will hug you.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
(female)

mareintx HB User

Thanks ya'll!

Hubby is having surgery on Thursday to have the mediport removed. It's such a great thing that we can do this now as the doctors don't think he will need chemo anymore - at least anytime in the near future. I'm so happy he is cancer free.

I am so up and down with how I feel about this. I guess I'm having a 'flare' right now as I hurt so bad all the time. I'm ready to not hurt so bad and to not be so blasted tired all the time.

School will start here soon and I'd like to 'live up' the last of the summer.

Just reading that I'm not alone helps so much!!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User

Welcome !!! You sound so much like me....living in the same area, similar age, kids the same age, and someone important in your life that has a serious illness. For me it is my sister. She had an AVM burst in her brain and thank God she is alive because most people who have a brain AVM burst die...but she was left with stroke like symptoms on the left side...like facial paralysis, an eye that is blind, has to walk with a cane. She is disabled, can't drive, has no depth perception.
When I started having symptoms, which started out as horrible migraine headaches and upper body pain and fatigue and then later the moved throughout my body, I felt like I had no right to complain because of what my sister was going through. I have felt so alone and my poor husband has had to hear it all. The guilt I feel is worse than the pain. The guilt of not being able to take care of everything and everybody like I used to do. When my husband comes home from work and the house is not clean, I feel like slinking away with my tail between my legs. When the kids want to go out and play in the pool and I can't take them, I feel like a horrible mother.
I totally understand where you are coming from. I am so glad that your husband is Cancer free now. Now you can concentrate on taking care of yourself and I really hope you find something that gives you relief.
I just started on Neurontin, Naprosyn and Flexeril...I guess it will take a little time to see if it works. I ordered a Tai Chi video because my doctor said that the slow fluid movements are perfect exercise for a fibro sufferer. I also bought a Qi Gong video cause it is similar. They are described as "meditation in motion" which appeals to me. Exercise and stress relief all in one...can't beat that.
I'm glad you joined the group. I hope you can find support and lots of info that will help you. I just joined today and I am so glad I did. No more 2am facebook posts that I have to delete the next morning for fear of someone seeing them...LOL. Suffering in silence is hard...and now I don't have to.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tanasmom
Brookietrip (08-13-2012), lehcar (08-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tanasmom For This Useful Post:
Brookietrip (08-13-2012)
Closed Thread