It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

Newmommy36 HB User
Hashimotos/Fibromyalgia

Hi, Im new here and I wanted to get some advice from yall. I was dx with Hashimotos 8 years ago and i believe i have fibro. Went to my PCP. He started me on lyrica,Skelaxin, and Mobic. ordered a neck xray and Physical Therapy. I have Cervival spondylosis(arthritis in my neck from car wreck). I believe he thinks im crazy b/c when i told him i have alot of the s/s of fibro, he changed the subject. With Hashimotos being an autoimmune disease, i am wondering if it can be related to my fibromyalgia. The lyrica is helping. Should I go to a rheumatologist? I just need to know why i hurt so bad and so stiff upon wakening, sleep apnea, depression/anxiety, pain in my neck,shoulders,hips,knees, and the list goes on. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I just feel lost. Any advice is appreciated

Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Hashimotos/Fibromyalgia

Yes, I would go to a rheumatologist and be screened for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus particularly. Fibromyalgia should be a diagnosis of exclusion, in other words, you exclude more specific diagnoses first, since there really is no test for fibro other than physical exam. If you have Hashis, you could have another autoimmune disease, as they often occur in multiples.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
(female)

Newmommy36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Yes, I would go to a rheumatologist and be screened for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus particularly. Fibromyalgia should be a diagnosis of exclusion, in other words, you exclude more specific diagnoses first, since there really is no test for fibro other than physical exam. If you have Hashis, you could have another autoimmune disease, as they often occur in multiples.
Thank You Ladybug for taking the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate it. I will be calling Rheumatologist in am.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Newmommy, You definitely should see a rheumy and have other auto immune issues eliminated or hopefully not confirmed. I also have Hashimotos and it really plays an intricate part in fibromyalgia. I have a tendency to go up and down on my TSH. I do fine on a specific dose for a while and then I'm going hypo and have to change dosage. Do you have a specific range for your TSH that you feel best in? That plays a big part in your joint pain. My rheumy diagnosed me with Connective Tissue Disease. He treats my joint pain with low dose prednisone right now. However, my joint and muscle pain is so much better when I keep my TSH under or at 1.0. Anything creeping up over 1.5 and I'm fatigued with ever increasing joint pain. We all have different set points of what makes us comfortable. As a new mommy you get plenty of exercise, but just moving around to keep things from stiffening up is very helpful. Like ladybud said you really need to eliminate other problems to be sure it is fibro. Oh, by the way do you take a synthetic thyroid med or a natural. I take armour natural thyroid, it works best for me. I had a difficult time with synthroid.

Glojer

Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
(female)

Newmommy36 HB User

Hi Glojer,
Thanks for responding to my post. I take levothyroxine. I have been on it for 9 years. My recent TSH was 1.80 and my T4 is 0.85. I hurt all over and especially when i wake up and i cant sleep during the night most of the time. Even with taking Ambien. I will see my rhumatologist end of next month. I spoke with her briefly(we work @ same hospital) and she said if i had one auto immune disease it is possible to have more. So she is going to run all the test to see what is going on. I am taking lyrica 100mg 3 times a day and Skelaxin 3 times a day and Mobic once day. Pain is better with these, but not gone. Thank you so much for taking the time out to read my post.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Your welcome. I also take Ambien and if I go hyper, I have trouble with it working. I do take a muscle relaxer and that helps. I don't take anything else for fibro, I tried Savella that was a disaster. Good luck with your tests. My rheumy told me the same thing, if you have one auto immune problem you could have another. I have a history of it in the family.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I too have Hashimoto's and Fibromyalgia. Make sure that they are treating your thyroid properly. I had horrible, horrible symptoms the past 2 years with terrible joint pain. Come to find out, my thyroid was not converting my T4 to T3. I now take Cytomel in addition to my Synthroid. Also, do not settle for generics when it comes to your thyroid, as they are not equal. Take only name brands and they do not cost that much more.

Closed Thread