It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

tekkychick HB User
transcranial direct-current simulation - tdcs

My husband has fibromyalgia; he has been reading up on tdcs - transcranial direct-current simulation and how it seems to help with FM. I'm skeptical. Anyone here have any experience with it?

apologize if it's been discussed here before, but my searches didn't find it.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: transcranial direct-current simulation - tdcs

There is some early evidence that it may be helpful for migraines and for pain associated with spinal lesions, with few risks or side effects. Problem is, it's still experimental, so it might be tough to find a practitioner. It would be tougher to find a practitioner who actually knows what he's doing with it and isn't just peddling snake oil: The current has to be applied to the right part of the brain in the right way, otherwise it's useless or even possibly harmful. Insurance coverage would also be dicey.

If you can find someone doing a study in your area, go ahead. Personally, I'd wait and see in another couple years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I've never heard of this, but the first thing that pops into my mind is shock therapy. Just the thought of someone messing with electricity and my brain at the same time gives me the creeps

Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

tekkychick HB User

Thanks, Jane; those are my thoughts too, but he's in so much pain that he focuses on the good results so far and not on how early it is. We're in a rural area; the closest provider we've found so far is 4 hours away, which means we'd probably have to rent a place there for a week since it's done daily at first. There is a home unit now, but like you said, since electrodes have to be put in the right place we wouldn't want to do that until a professional showed us the right places. So we're looking at a big expense. And good point on insurance -I need to find that out as well.

Woodswalker, that was my first thought too! but the current is extremely low and supposedly safe...

Oddly, my husband won't do accupuncture or accupressure because it's not really tested, but this therapy he's latched on to like it's the answer to everything.

If anyone else had thoughts or has tried it, would love to hear!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

This is NOT the same as shock therapy for serious psychiatric disorders. That's a current so strong it triggers a seizure, which is why it's called electroconvulsive therapy.

This is a much lower current, intended to affect brain function in a gentler and safer way.

As long as this practitioner does it correctly, it is unlikely to harm your husband, although the financial costs could stack up.

Look into the background of this practitioner, make sure he really knows what he's doing. Consider the costs vs benefits. Then choose.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I do understand that it's not shock therapy, but that is what popped into my head.

What it does sound like to me is something simular to a TENS. It does sound interesting and worth researching.

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
tekkychick (08-14-2012)
Closed Thread