It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

rjm77 HB User
Question Is this the fibro?

Hi everybody,

I am a newbie here. I have recently been diagnosed with fibro and psoriatic arthritis. My doctors have been no help at all. They just say "you have x,y,z" and then want to prescribe me a bunch of pills but give me no explanations at all. I am stuck researching symptoms on my own and trying to figure out what's what.

I have had symptoms for years and seen countless doctors. Finally, I have received some diagnoses', but little explanation of anything. Through my own research, I have figured out that a lot of the symptoms I have had (and thought were something else) are related to the fibro.

Here is my current issue (it seems to change daily *rolling eyes in disgust):

I have been having excruciating pain in my right shoulder. I thought I pulled a muscle, I went to the chiropractor (who I see regularly) and he did some treatments which helped very little. It was excruciating, constant pain for about 2-1/2 weeks, then suddenly the pain went away and I was left with numbness and tingling in my right arm for about a week. Then suddenly the pain came back and it's even worse than the first time.

It feels similar to when I have pulled muscles before, but not. I don't even know how to explain it. The pain is constant, I can barely move my neck or turn my head and I can feel the muscle pulling. My shoulder feels very heavy. It seems to be the worst at night when I am sleeping. I have woke up the past 3 nights in a row (if I can fall asleep at all) in excruciating pain and had to put an ice pack on it and take Lortab just to be able to go back to sleep. It seems to vary in extremity, if I'm busy it doesn't seem as bad. I don't know if it is just because I am focused on something else so I don't notice the pain as much. Also, it seems to go from being isolated to just my shoulder, to like right now, the pain is radiating up the back of my neck and down my arm and across my whole shoulder. The constant pain is causing me to have a headache.

I have been doing tons of research about fibro and have discovered a lot of other symptoms I had were or could be fibro related, so now I am wondering if this is just a fibro flare up of some kind.

Anyone have anything like this? And, do you have any suggestions on relief?

Last edited by rjm77; 08-12-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Is this the fibro?

You could have a bulging or herniated disc in neck that is irritating the nerve that goes to the shoulder and arm. That nerve root irritation can cause muscle spasm as well. I would ask your Dr for some muscle relaxants and if no better after a few days with those, you probably should get an MRI of neck, especially if your arm is weak or reflexes slow. Sometimes a soft cervical collar can reduce the nerve irritation by keeping your neck neck from bending too far.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

rjm77 HB User

Thanks. I have some muscle relaxers. Hopefully it will just go away soon. Only time will tell.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sounds like it could be a muscle spasm, maybe in the trapezius. If a muscle spasms badly enough, it can set off spasms in neighboring muscles, or even cause pinched nerves (hence the tingling numbness)

Muscle relaxers might help. Moist heat is also good. I also found chiropractors were pretty unhelpful, but my massage therapist is great. (The trick is, I know my body and communicate with her a lot, especially telling her if she's pressing too hard.)

Gentle stretching might also help, but be careful not to stretch too far and make the spasm worse, or aggravate anything else that might be going on there.

Closed Thread