It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User
Unhappy Fibro Forever???

Hi !!! I am new to this message board and newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I am very happy to finally know what is going on with me so I can try to get some relief...But...I am having the most trouble dealing with what my doctor told me: that this is a lifelong condition and the chances of complete pain relief is slim. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach...took the wind right out of me. He gave me Neuontin, Flexeril and Naprosyn and told me to do light exercise (he recommended Tai Chi so I ordered a DVD) I go back in 3 weeks.
I just can't get over the defeated feeling I have and I just feel depressed.
Any Advice??? Is he right? Is this forever?

Thank you !!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tanasmom
catkaru (08-14-2012), lehcar (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

mareintx HB User
Re: Fibro Forever???

I'm newly diagnosed too and from my research and everything else, sadly, yes it is true.

Although I've read where people went into a sort of 'remission' and had little/no pain for months/years and then later had it return.

I've also read where some have very minor pain and where some have completely disabling pain. So it seems to really vary; although from what I've learned it seems to wax and wane from day to day and even hour to hour.

I'm just working on trying to learn everything I can and live day to day the best I can...

The Following User Says Thank You to mareintx For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (08-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
(female)

mareintx HB User

double posted somehow, sorry

Last edited by mareintx; 08-13-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: double post

Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

Right now it is forever. Some strides are being made in research, but nothing viable yet.

However it can be managed. It takes time to find the right combo of meds/suppliments/exercise etc., but it is possible.

The biggest thing is don't give up. You will have good days, and bad ones, but it is managable for most.

T

The Following User Says Thank You to msnova74 For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's not curable, but improvements and remission are possible. I'm much better now than I was right after being diagnosed. I attribute it partly to medicines, partly to the right regimen of gentle exercise/stretching, partly to a good bed, and partly to the grace of God.

Right now, I still have symptoms, but they're mild enough that I might not "qualify" as having fibro right now. Yes, it could come back someday, but I can't dwell on that. I could get hit by a car and die tomorrow, I'm just going to live as well as I can for as long as I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

Try not to worry, I know easier said than done, right? Seriously though the more you stress and worry the worse your Fibro symptoms can be. Do your best to keep stress and worry to a minimum, take care of yourself first and foremost the best you can, and take it one day at a time. Now if I can just take my own advise...lol. Gentle hugs...

The following user gives a hug of support to lehcar:
tanasmom (08-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to lehcar For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User

I am feeling like the scarier part of all this is when do we know we are actually sick? What aches or pains should we see a doc for? Which ones should we not throw in the fibro basket? If they officially diagnose me with fibro which is what my GP is leaning toward, then I could literally just sit at home and die because I would chalk every ache and pain up to fibro... how scary... this is making me a complete hypochondriac!

The following user gives a hug of support to Brookietrip:
tanasmom (08-14-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User

I am feeling like the scarier part of all this is when do we know we are actually sick? What aches or pains should we see a doc for? Which ones should we not throw in the fibro basket? If they officially diagnose me with fibro which is what my GP is leaning toward, then I could literally just sit at home and die because I would chalk every ache and pain up to fibro... how scary... this is making me a complete hypochondriac!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
(female)

Bookietrip, I know exactly how you feel.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My "when to see a doctor" rules:

1) Other signs something is wrong, such as bruising, swelling or fever over 100 degrees.

2) Severe pain located in the head, chest, or abdomen, that doesn't fit my current fibro symptoms. (Since that could be serious.)

3) If I get pain in one spot with one particular movement, like my knee hurts whenever I bend it past a certain point, or /my ankle hurts when I walk down stairs, and it persists several days through efforts to relieve it with home care. It might still be fibro, but it's worth getting an exam and maybe an x-ray.

4) Anything else which really doesn't fit my fibro, and lasts through a week of home care.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
tossing my two cents in. i'm with jane on the one week rule. yea, it's for life so let the fear go. it serves no useful purpose. i have had it for almost 2 decades. the pain i had then seemed so horrid and unbearable. then i realized most of it was fear of the unknown. so i learned to let go of pointless fears. now it's part of my daily routine. pain and i are old, old friends these days. we work together to give quality to our day, our life, our reality.
it's not as scary as you think it will be. honest.
peace,
bluelakelady

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
kselibrary76 (08-21-2012), tanasmom (08-17-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
(female)

Thank you !!! That is truly helpful cause it is hard to tell sometimes what is Fibro and what is something else since I get new symptoms every now and then.
Last night I had one such symptom that I am not sure if it is due to the Fibro or maybe my Osteoarthritis of my spine which is mild. Last night I woke up to get a drink and when I reached over to grab the drink off my nightstand, I felt a pop in my spine between my shoulder blades and then my back started hurting and it hurt to turn my head to the side any further than my chin being level with my shoulder...I can't look over my shoulder basically. I took my anti-inflamitory but it didn't help. It almost felt like a rubberband popping over something but not breaking. Don't know what to think about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

sounds like you tweaked a tendon. got any topical creams for pain? they help more than pills for me. i do that to my neck often. between arthritis and fibro and sjogrens the ole bod just is not a rubber band anymore. giggle. ice and heat, alternating, massage the area. got any extra hands at home to give you a neck rub?
try to move your neck often today. don't want to have it get even stiffer on you. do you use a chiropractor? i took a fall a few days ago and hit my head along with spraining my neck. one trip to the chiro followed by a massage the next day and i am able to turn my head again.
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 08-14-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
(female)

I guess my problem is that it's all new to me... And many of my pains do not ever go away like my chest back ribs and collar bone. Actually they seem to be getting much worse... Especially my back I'm tired of going to the doctor who just tells me to take medicine. I dint want medicine, I want a diagnosis!!!! If everything comes out healthy and this is fibro like they think then I will deal with the pain... I just need a name for the reason I am 32 and feel like I am 100! Actually some 100 year olds seem to be in better shape than me

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Brookietrip
tammy72 (08-19-2012), tanasmom (08-16-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #15
(female)

Respime HB User

Hi- I read your post and felt like I had post it myself !
I feel for you. I know what you are going through.
I am going through it myself and then some. Add to that a husband who refuses to believe the diagnosis. It doesn't make the day to day any better. My ortho just got through telling me he doesn't know how much of my pain is due to a torn labrum and how much is the Fibro - what the??
How is that supposed to help me ?
I am trying to just stay positive - I find it helps more than all the meds. Some days it's harder than others but when I think of all the good things I have in my life - it helps me move a little better. Hugs to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Respime:
tanasmom (08-21-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Respime For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (08-21-2012)
Closed Thread