It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
(male)

one spirit HB User
Fibro Cures??

I remember reading in the national fibro magazine (AWARE) in 1996 that fibro is a dysregulation of the central nervous system from the same parts of the brain that cause anxiety – panic – IBS –chemical sensitivity and possibly chronic fatigue. it is well known that drugs only further dysregulate the sensitive CNS. Here in the USA it is about 99% drugs and if drugs worked why are we all still here.

It appears that fibro and these other comorbid conditions have stuck feedback loops in the CNS and have to have the loops broken to recover. Drugs only etch the groves deeper and cause long term changes in a host of neuroreceptors and neurotransmitters.

A major loop is the fight- flight-freeze system that will cause chronic muscle tension with micro tears in muscles along with build up of toxic byproducts from doing isometric exercises 24/7. We keep this loop going by focusing on and or fearing symptoms. A second loop is the pain inactivity loop. Muscles and the entire lymph system that removes toxins work totally on body movement – when we don’t move the lymph and mitochondria pumps fail to work.

As we age and are tense muscles become shorter and shorter – as they put huge stress on the joints – ligaments and tendons.....guess what PAIN!!! Therapeutic stretching (not Yoga) can lengthen the muscles and take the pressure off the other structures......and guess what.....a relaxed muscle sends a message to the brain to relax and stop activating muscle tension....another feedback loop.

So my point is why are we not learning these (and many more) skills and keep taking toxic drugs with long term exacerbation of our symptoms. I have a live to live and I intend to be back to a pain free body and not thinking about the next dose or doctors appointment.

I meditate twice or more each day for 30 to 60 minutes each time– I work on thoughts all day long - I am engaged in a serous whole bodystretching program. I am drinking half my body weight in ounces of water each day. I do visualizations and prayer (non religious) and I exercise in small amounts several times a day . I am on a whole foods dense nutrition eating program with lots of protein and have stopped all supplements as they are not natural to the body

I have been doing this for only a month and I am already 30% better and I am sleeping much better. I am up to a 30 minute walk each day with a hour gentle bike ride in the afternoons. I still have pretty severe pain in the mornings.

I intend to learn more of these skills and no longer take any drugs except an occasional aspirin.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Fibro Cures??

hi and welcome,
many of us do not use drugs. many of us do just what you are doing. using the mind as our tool. we live in a world of quick fixes. it is for us to step out of the cycle and find other courses if we choose them. i do not place blame on the companies who make the drugs. they are not tying me down and forcing these on me. it is my choice. i just choose not to take them. giggle. if others do that is their choice and it is not for me to say one way or the other. we all choose our own path.
you are a water baby too. i drink a gallon a day. do you slosh too?
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I'm with yo all the way One Spirit - I don't take any meds at all and focus on positivity/gentle exercise/stretching/pilates/healthy eating etc etc. I'm currently in Italy for 6 weeks in the most amazing sunshine and I can't tell you the difference it has already made to me (I live in the rainy UK but ovine here permanently very soon) On sunday I cycled 22km AND walked 5km (I used to be super fit before fibro and intend to be again) and didn't ache at all the next day - I'm SO excited and really feel like the old me. I have learnt to focus on what I can do (rather than what I used to) and continue to set goals re fitness etc. The day after I return from Italy I am seeing a Personal Trainer to capitalise on how I am with a view to getting fitter and fitter
I personally see pharmaceutical companies as life savers in that "some" of there drugs literally do just that. Most however are fat cats preying on those most in need of help - they create drugs that rather than "fixing" a problem create a dependancy which means you need more which creates liver/kidney problems which then needs different drugs and the cycle begins again. There's days when I've felt crippled by pain and can hardly walk but refuse to give in and take meds - I still work and live a fab life sometimes with pain thought at the moment PAINFREE - YIPPEE

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

This is something new to me, but so far the only things that have helped me have been the meds. I literally cannot move an inch without them. And yes, I do eat a healthy and balanced diet and I do gentle stretching.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I am definitely in favor of natural treatments that work with the body. However, it's not entirely true that drugs just pull the nervous system further out of whack: Certain nerve pain medicines can actually help to reverse the process of central sensitization.

Still, if you can get it under control this way, great! I definitely think that learning my muscles is the biggest thing I've done to control fibro. When I hurt, I can now recognize that the pain may be my body's way of telling me exactly what exercises I need to do today.

Closed Thread