It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User
Can someone please help me?

Hi,
My question to all FM sufferers is... What is a flare up and how long does it last? It seems like I have been in constant agony for the last 3 months and it does not ever get better, only worse! I just don't understand what us happening to me! I'm freaking out at this point I was wondering if there is ever any in between relief or if I am suffering from something else? I don't take mess yet because I have only been told I could have fibro, I have not yet had the official diagnosis, but I feel like every bone in my upper body is crushed. So many new things pop up daily weird the only relief I have received is when it rained last night... It was pouring for hours and I felt like the normal me! It was amazing! With the exception of the spot on my spine that feels like an opened wound I felt like a million bucks! But I woke up this morning feeling like I owed someone a million bucks can someone please tell me more about their fibro and if the symptoms are constant or if there are ever breaks and what a flare up actually feels like? Thank you for listening seems like you guys are the only ones who do

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Brookietrip
catkaru (08-16-2012), tanasmom (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: Can someone please help me?

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. A few days ago someone posted about all the symptoms you feel with fibro. So, check that one out, it gives you lots of insight as to how we all feel. I go through every day with pain, some worse than others. I dont' believe it's ever gone. For me, a flareup varies. Some times it's days, sometimes its weeks, but it's always lingering. I don't take meds either, as I am afraid of all the side effects, and the cost is prohibitive. I hope this helps you a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi, like tmrots i would have pain every day to varying degrees. Some days mild some dreadful. I am on a slow release pain patch at the moment which has made a big difference, but do not know how long this will last as I have been on other meds only to have them stop working after a while. You will not always feel this bad, if it is fibro you have you will learn to manage it. I can relate to the feeling of an open wound on your spine, that would describe my spine pain.

What have you tried to help with the pain, have you tried heat? A lot of us get relief from heat pads and hot showers, baths etc, for some it is ice. You may find a lot of rest helps or a massage. It is trial and error, keeping posting and asking questions. You are not on you own, we will all try and help.

Regards

The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
Brookietrip (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User

Thank you so much! I am pretty much on heat all day long I go Sit outside in 115 degrees in a sweatshirt just to get all over relief... Ice makes the pain unbearable! I was at PT and he tried to ice massage my sore spot on my back and as soon as ice touched it I felt like I was being stabbed through the heart with a knife at the same time as being crushed on my whole upper body! It was awful! I am trying to cope with pain and feel like I could do it if someone (ie. A doctor ) would tell me what is wrong with me! Run tests faster! Just get me to a diagnosis

Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User

I feel for you and understand what you are going through. I have been in pain constantly for the last 4 months. I know exactly what you mean by feeling like your whole upper body is being crushed. I have "attacks" like that often....like today....and my spine is so painful. My fingers hurt alot and they get so stiff. I also get horrible stabbing pains in the top of my left shoulder and searing pains down my lower legs...like someone has taken a hot poker and run it down my leg all the way to the bone. I am newly diagnosed so I have no advice for pain relief. I am still trying to figure it out myself. I hope you feel better soon. I know how bad it is. Take Car...Big Hugs...

Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

I have the same reaction to ice. Have you tried a plug in heat pad on your back? This really helps me with the spine pain. They are very cheap and worth a go.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

I am currently using the plug in heat pad and I made rice bags that I heat in the microwave for 2 minutes for my neck and shoulders... I also get pains in my left shoulder on the front back and top... Feels like I have a sun burn there and on my chest the collar bone is sooooooooo bad! It radiates up my neck and into my ears and jaw my legs have been okay but my feet constantly fall asleep. Heat is all that helps but once it wears off I am back to agony I have 3 kids 2 are babies so I get no rest in regards to taking it easy... All day I have to lift 15 and 25 pounds my range of motion is not affected much, just my quality of life standing and moving I'm in pain but it's tolerable. I can't sit though not for more than 15 minutes without instant awfulness. I have to stand to feed the baby which is scary with pins and needles in my arm and hand... So worried I will drop her

The following user gives a hug of support to Brookietrip:
Agenda (08-16-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hang in there. Yes, fibro can be very hard.

Maybe you can find a way to feed the baby standing over something, so she is supported? Like put a basket on a counter or something?

Do push your doctor for a treatment plan. Ask your family and friends for help if need be. You aren't asking for yourself, you're asking for your children.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Brookietrip (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
(female)

I have an appointment on the 14th but may have to go sooner... sometimes this is unbearable I have also figured out some of it is hormonal... right before and during ovulation, which is today I am a wreck! Then right before my period I am a total wreck! Does anyone else have this problem? I have been checked out by the OB and she says its all good as far a female parts go... the funny thing is I had my baby March 3,12 and was breasted feeding but her latch was bad so I didn't bf for long, I got my first period the day after all of my pains started and have had 3 periods since then, each one sends me into insanity with pain am I alone on this one? Could my hormones be imbalances causing me to have this pain and extra pain on top of it during my time of the month? I do not get cramps that are horrible, my pains in my body are just intensified...

Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
(male)

Moad HB User

Brook, sorry to hear you are going through this and I know what it's like to be anxious about it. I have had FM for the past 24 years and flare ups in my experience can last anywhere from a few weeks to six months. I know that's not a great help but at least you know it's not unusual. At the moment I am going through a flare up with middle back pain that refers pain to the right hand side front ribs and causes some nausea, it started about the 20th of May and it's still here! All the best with it and remember you are not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to Moad:
Brookietrip (08-19-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
(female)

So I'm not alone in the upper back pain and spine pain thing? The tender spot on my spine really stays just in one spot and it hurts so bad! I don't have a lot of problems as far as my lower body, only my upper body, sometimes my lower back and knees but really only once in awhile... I was just reading some other posts and saw one where someone said if you don't always feel it through your whole body it probably is not fibro? Is that true? Could I really be suffering from something else that the doctors are ignoring? I'm kind of freaking out now man I wish I knew what was wrong with me!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I have similar pains, and no it doesn't have to be all over all the time. Right now, my pain in centered in my hip and spine, upper back/shoulders. I have tender points on other areas of my body, but unless someone is trying to touch them/massage them, I can live with it.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Some people with fibro tend to have most of their pain in one area of the body.

If you have a lot of pain in one particular spot, and it persists for more than a week without, say, moving around, or randomly coming and going, get it checked. But the back is a very common area for fibro pain, so that's probably all that's going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
waters04 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
(female)

I am just so tired of being in pain and having no diagnosis! My doctors do nothing and with my insurance I have to be referred to every other doctor this is making for a longer process! I have been in constant pain for over 3 months with what seemed like a week off, but I think that the pain was just mild enough that week that I felt a little relief! I keep asking them for help, they keep saying take Cymbalta but again I don't want to play guinea pig with my body I just need answers! They seem to think it is just anxiety, why would anxiety cause me to have a spot on my upper spine so sore that I can't have clothes or my hair on it? Why would I involuntarily drop to the floor if anyone touches that spot? Why would my stomach spazzing when that spot is touched when I am sitting or laying down? How do I have these horrific pains in my neck (front and back) collar bone, shoulder on left. Left arm and hand (thumb mostly) pins and needles in all limbs but my right? How could just "anxiety" do that? And when does it stop? I have taken Xanax for anxiety, it calmed my irrational thoughts of "what is wrong with me" but it did nothing for my pain! I am hurting myself more with thoughts of hypochondria! I pray for the answer and I pray for fibro because there is no way I could deal with something that will or could kill me I have 3 babies who are very young and need me so much! Sorry for the vent but I just need someone to hear me and around here no one does

Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
(female)

seasearcher78 HB User
Ive had fibro for several years and after 3 years of barely moving i found something on the net about staying active so i started fighting thru the pain and once i got back to 100% active the pain started easing up i took a physc med and aCouple excedrin everyday and a few hot showers a day but im always in a little pain but i can seem to bare with it with staying active good luck i hope you try all kinds of things and something works for you too but i do want to say it does hurt worse to veg out on the couch for me at least again good luck prayers are with you

My fibro was brought on the dr says after a tramatic injury to my back and neck have you ever had a back injury my dr said i feel it more in my upper body due to my injury i dont no u get alot of drs that say different things stiffness is everyday when i wake up or stay still to long hot showers are great

Last edited by Mod-S4; 06-09-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

The Following User Says Thank You to seasearcher78 For This Useful Post:
Brookietrip (09-04-2012)
Reply Reply