It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User
Ugh... the fatigue !!!

I am newly diagnosed and I see my Dr. again in a week. He put me on some meds that help some with the pain...but what can be done about the fatigue? I took my daughter clothes shopping yesterday for back to school and I couldn't get out of bed till nearly 5pm today. The fatigue feels like my arms and legs are so heavy and weak and if I try and force myself to get up and do stuff, my muscles burn and they don't want to work and I start to feel nauseated. Is there any medication that I can ask about that might help with that?

Thank you !!!

The following user gives a hug of support to tanasmom:
mom477 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: Ugh..the fatigue !!!

I wish I had an answer. It can be pretty bad and I hate that heavy legs and arms feeling. All I do is rest as much as I can when that hits. Maybe someone else will have a better solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmrots For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (08-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
(female)

Lauriann HB User

The symptoms of Fibromyalgia can be greatly overcome in a very short period of time (2-3 months) using a high antioxidant, acrlyamide-free diet. Acrylamides are toxic substances produced by baking and frying carbohydrates.

Adopt a diet-style rich in natural plant foods especially organic berries and green vegetables and restricted in animal products and baked grains. Vegetable soups and steamed vegetables are encouraged. Fibromyalgia patients who do this routinely get well, and they get well quickly.

A nutrient-dense diet rich in large amounts of natural plant foods will result in a high intake of polyphenolic compounds such as quercetin, myricetin and kaempherol, and the high intake of lignans and bioflavonoids...just a few of the hundreds of nutrients with unpronounceable names that will reverse fibromyalgia symptoms within 2-3 months...but you must be consistently proactive with this new diet-lifestyle.

Read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" book for more on this. His sample menus are for those who want to lose weight but if you don't need that you can try his new book "Super Immunity". I've read the first one....excellent.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lauriann For This Useful Post:
bluelakelady (08-21-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

Is it the medicine or the fibro making you tired?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Ugh... the fatigue !!!

I've tried many diets & been very strict with them for 3-6 months each time & never noticed any improvements... Fatigue is just one more symptom of fibro & it can be debilitating...
Best thing you can do is rest. I know I need it bad right now & my husband thinks a couple hours is enough but not even close. It can take weeks...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User

Thank you everyone. The fatigue is definately from the fibro cause I had it just as bad before I started medications. I take Neurontin, Flexiril, and Naprosyn. None of those make me tired. I am going to try your suggestions and also talk to my doctor and see if there is anything he can do. Most days I can't hold a blow dryer over my head without my muscles burning from weakness...that's if I can even get in the shower in the first place !!!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

I know the feeling about the shower thing except not only do I have the fibro weakness and tired...I get tired from my meds too. If I'm not hit by one I'm hit by the other. Then when I do try and get something done I don't have enough energy to get through the task. Just makes me more frustrated. Hopefully soon the meds won't do that anymore, then maybe I'll get something done...lol

The Following User Says Thank You to lehcar For This Useful Post:
waters04 (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

My fatigue has gotten worse the last few months and at times its very frustrating. I have learned to do what I can in a day and what didnt get done oh well. Also Ive accepted that I often need breaks to sit down and doing a simple task can take me a hour or so to finish.

It is so easy to let fibro run your life. Need to take control back and not let fibro take over. Yes we all have limitations and everyday life is difficult but just do what you can and dont fret over what didnt get done.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Nuetontin, Lyrica & Cymbolta made me more exhausted, like lethargic where you are too tired to move at all & just lay there... I'm on Savella now & it doesn't do that. I didn't know the meds did that until I switched to Savella & exhaustion isn't as bad. Bad thing is that savella makes me sweat... Ugh
I had the fatigue for 11 yrs before fibro pain set in. My body felt heavy, tired & sore but not like it does now. One Dr said I have Chrinic Fatigue while another says Chronic Fatigue is a symptom of the fibro. Not sure...
I take Tramadol for pain. It takes the edge off & I seem to not be as tired on e it kicks in. But takes 2 hours to do anything & doesn't do much. I then take my muscle relaxer & that helps. Then tramadol again alittle bit later. I do rely on these more now but not taking meds unless I had to made fibro rule my life. I hate taking them but do feel like I'm living alittle more...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Do you have low thyroid? Make sure your thyroid is checked thoroughly. Also, make sure your thyroid is tested thoroughly and not just the TSH. Make sure they test the free T4 and free T3.

I have Hashimotos and just recently found out that my thyroid was not converting my med to T3. They have put me on a second medication (Cytomel) in addition to my Synthroid and my fatigue has diminished tremendously. Also, do not settle for generics when it comes to the thyroid either, they are not equal. And the name brand doesn't cost much more either.

Closed Thread