It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

PSEmama HB User
Smile Lyrica Withdrawal Symptoms

Hi, I am new this board, but have had Firomyalgia for years. I had a bad flare up in 2003. That lasted almost two years, then subsided until recently. Last spring the doctor put me on Lyrica, at my suggestion. Thanks to TV commericals. I believe Lyrica has made my pain and depression worse. This past Monday with the doctor's suggestion I am starting the weaning process. To say that this is a trip to hell is an understatement. I'm only into day three. Am wondering if anyone else has used Lyrica to treat Fibromyalgia, or if you have had bad withdrawal symptoms. If so, how long did it last?

PSEmama

Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Lyrica Withdrawal Symptoms

Welcome!
I have been on it & weined off. I really didn't notice withdraws but I switched to Savella rather quickly so I think that's why. Cymbolta was a nightmare! It helped with pain but that, Lyrica & Nuerontin I notice I had spells of depression & they made the fatigue worst! I weined off cymbolta & was on my couch for a week in total pain & so so so sick! I really should have went to the ER, I'm stubborn. Please don't let them put you on that! I think it should be banned...
Are you resting? You could be making the withdraws worst if you are pushing yourself or stressing...
I'm on bupropion (Wellbutrin) because it helps with my anxiety. I actually had to cut my dose in half when I went on Savella. I think it's because savella has some kind of antidepressant ingredient. I love savella! Only thing is it makes me sweat & I've never been one to sweat...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
PSEmama (08-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
PSEmama (08-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

PSEmama HB User

Thank you for your input. I am giving second thoughts to starting on Neurotin. I'm suppose to stop Lyrica on Friday and start Neurotin on Saturday. I'm scared to death of taking another drug. I am taking Celexa, or rather we started taking it this past Monday. I went off it when I started Lyrica in April. Dumb doctor never told me I could have stayed on it. I, too, believe Lyrica was causing me to have depression. I also believe it is the worse of the additional muscle pain I was enduring all summer.Prior to starting Lyrica, my pain was tolerable, but only ask to switch because it is advertised for FMS. Bad mistake on my part. Wish I never took it. Thanks again for reaching out. It helps me not to feel so alone in this mess. Hugs, PSEmama.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, the weaning process can be difficult for a lot of these drugs. Don't try to do it too fast, and it's OK if you need to take a "break" in the middle of the weaning process.

I'm not sure why the approval of Cymbalta and Lyrica suddenly means that all those other drugs don't work for fibro! You know, the ones that were used off-label for years and years? The cheap generics with a long record of successful use and a clear picture of risks? I don't know why all these doctors have suddenly decided Lyrica and Cymbalta are the only game in town!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
PSEmama (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

PSEmama HB User

It makes me wonder too. All I know is, when I get off Lyrica, I will never take anything like this again. It didn't help. Actually, it caused me more pain, and depression. My stomach is all messed up from so much anxiety, now.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Ask your dr about Savella its supposed to pass through the liver & not build up like other meds. I hate the sweating but I usually freeze so I guess it's better than that...
Lyrica should not have made you feel worst. I've had meds that didn't do anything for me, so I quit taking them. Sometimes Drs like to push the meds alittle too much...
Some people do well taking IB Profren or Alieve instead. My dr prescribed me a prescription strength Alieve called Naproxin. It didn't help me. But I have a cousin that has fibro & takes over the counter Alieve & that's it... I think hers is more mild which is why she does well on it. I actually have 3 cousins with fibro that I know of... Also Wellbutrin (Bupropion) has worked great for my anxiety.. Are you on anything like that? If I don't take it, I stress, then I hurt more...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
PSEmama (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

PSEmama HB User
Smile Re: Lyrica Withdrawal Symptoms

A week later, I am finally making some headway with recovery from Lyrica. Doing better, but still don't have my strength back. I have an allergy list a "mile" long. Lyrica and any drug like it will be added to it. Fibromyalgia is a wicked syndrome, but Lyrica ranks right up there. Never again. I will stick to basics. I'd rather deal with pain than take a trip to hell.
PSPgrama

Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
(male)

pierce2547 HB User

I've been on Lyrica since Dec of '11. I started off at 25 mg and gradually went up to 75. Weight gain, stuttering, just a few of the side effects for me. Also, heart congestion and hair loss.
It has been a month since I went from 75 mg down to 50. I take 25 mg in the morning and another in the evening. After a month, the withdrawals just from cutting down 1/3 have not decreased significantly. I believe that Lyrica changes your physiologically permanently so that you have to stay on it.
I feel more anxious since cutting down. To say that the general sense of being "on edge" all the time is a bad effect of cutting back is an understatement.
How this drug can be legal and yet pot dealers are going to prison speaks volumes.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

I too was taking Lyrica from May until last month and was built up to 300 mg a day (150 mg) twice a day. My doc told me since it wasn't working for what it was needed for to stop it and start taking Cymbalta to see if it would work...So I did just that, worst mistake I could have ever made. I had hard core withdrawals from stopping the Lyrica for five days..I was stuck in the bed couldn't hardly get up, had cold sweats constantly, and was very nauseated. I had never experienced anything like that before and hope I never have to again. It was awful to say the least. Gentle hugs...

Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
(female)

KimmiJoC HB User

I have not done this myself, I am on Lyrica and have gone off and not really had to bad of a time, but I have heard that a body cleanse can help your body dump toxins faster. You may want to check with a doctor. I had a friend do it and she thought it cut the withdrawal by days. Good luck!

Reply Reply