It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

desertlady42 HB User
Terrible aching legs

Hello,
I am having really bad leg aches tonight and feel like I am going to have a lot trouble sleeping. It's a real deep aching and makes my legs feel tired. This is one of the worst aches that I get, I think because I've never been able to find a way to relieve it. It feels like I am walking through quicksand and when I sit or lay down there is no relief. Does anyone have any suggestions for some relief? I would try a heating pad but it's way too warm for that!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Terrible aching legs

I get severe aching legs too, especially at night. If I take a Naprosyn or ibuprofen it helps some. Massage feels great, if you are lucky enough to have someone do that for you. I have even used a rolling pin, the plastic kind you can put ice cubes and water in to roll up and down my thighs in front. That is where it hurts the most. Elevating the legs can help too, especially if you are on your feet a lot. Lastly, a vibration type hand held massager feels good, as the pain sensation is temporarily replaced by the vibration, and at least you get a break from it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Thanks Ladybud! I am rubbing some lotion on my legs now and it is helping a bit. The rolling pin idea sounds strangely inviting.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would also ask your Dr. to check a Vit D level and CK (muscle enzyme) on your blood, as Vit D deficiency can cause leg aches and so can muscle inflammation. Have you been checked thoroughly for autoimmune disorders? I would ask for that too if this is a chronic recurring symptom.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

I have had a vitamin D defiency and have been on supplements for several years. They have tested me for several autoimmune diseases. ANA has been tested twice and has come back normal. Sjogren's antibodies have come back negative but the doctor said that doesn't mean I don't have it. Need to have a lip biopsy done to rule it in or out. I have many of the symptoms for sjogrens...severe dry mouth, nose and eyes. My legs are still very sore and I've been struggling to make it through the workday..ugh. This soon will pass...fingers crossed :-)

Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
i have sjogrens. i was lucky in that mine is bad enough it showed in my blood. do the biopsy. it hurts but peace of mind is priceless. heavy, aching, weakness and such in my legs i am told is related to the damage sjogrens is doing to my spine. i have a chiro who manipulates the tissue the length of my spine and after it feels stretched out again and my legs work better till the inflamation gets bad again. i also have weekly massages. most have sliding scales for charging. mine do. i pay 20 bucks for a 90 min. massage.
the use of topical pain creams does help me. i use biofreeze, painatrate, voltaren gel, and sombra. i rub one or a mix all over my legs and spine. i get between 2 and 5 hours of it being doable pain. the roll ons are easiest, tho i do need my brother to do my central spine for me.
i have had all my teeth removed, after years of dental work and 17 root canals. i have had cataract surgery on both eyes and am looking at having my ducts plugged. all thanks to sjogrens. for 17 years i thought it was all due to fibro. wrong. giggle. way wrong. giggle.
use eye drops at least 4 times a day and mouth moisturizer 4 times a day. use saline in your nose every 2 hours. i use eye drops 10 times a day. also an eye wash helps. one with the little cup to put over your eye. dry eyes tend to gather junk in the lower lid causing discomfort and infections. washing them helps.
lip moisturizer every hour. body lotion 3 times a day. keeps me busy, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakelady View Post
hi,
i have sjogrens. i was lucky in that mine is bad enough it showed in my blood. do the biopsy. it hurts but peace of mind is priceless. heavy, aching, weakness and such in my legs i am told is related to the damage sjogrens is doing to my spine. i have a chiro who manipulates the tissue the length of my spine and after it feels stretched out again and my legs work better till the inflamation gets bad again. i also have weekly massages. most have sliding scales for charging. mine do. i pay 20 bucks for a 90 min. massage.
the use of topical pain creams does help me. i use biofreeze, painatrate, voltaren gel, and sombra. i rub one or a mix all over my legs and spine. i get between 2 and 5 hours of it being doable pain. the roll ons are easiest, tho i do need my brother to do my central spine for me.
i have had all my teeth removed, after years of dental work and 17 root canals. i have had cataract surgery on both eyes and am looking at having my ducts plugged. all thanks to sjogrens. for 17 years i thought it was all due to fibro. wrong. giggle. way wrong. giggle.
use eye drops at least 4 times a day and mouth moisturizer 4 times a day. use saline in your nose every 2 hours. i use eye drops 10 times a day. also an eye wash helps. one with the little cup to put over your eye. dry eyes tend to gather junk in the lower lid causing discomfort and infections. washing them helps.
lip moisturizer every hour. body lotion 3 times a day. keeps me busy, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady
Hi, You just made me think of something. I had to have a CT scan a few months ago which found gallstones (had sugery) and kidney stones. When I went to the Urologist and she was reading the report and said oh and you have arthritis in your spine too. I had not known about this until she told me. I'm wondering if that causes much of my leg pain. It comes and goes but when it comes on it's awful!

For the sjogren's type symptoms I have been on a very costly regimen for a few years now. I keep a tub of vaseline with me at all times. I use the mouth spray throughout day and mouth gel at night. Gel drops for eyes many times during the day and night. I havent tried an eyewash yet, I'll have to purchase that! What kind of saline do you use for your nose? I found a saline gel made by NeilMed that is really pretty good. Lasts a bit longer

I had the punctal plugs inserted about 3 months ago and have noticed some improvement although the eye doctor is still not happy with the lingering inflammation. I hope having your ducts plugged will give you some relief Sounds like you have been through so much.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
arthritis alone in the spine can cause leg problems. with sjogrens thrown in like me it's loads of fun to walk. giggle.
had to laugh at the expense comment. i hear you on that part! curious what you use vaseline for? it's a petroleum product and not very good for us (fibro or healthy). strongly suggest you find an alternative to that. it coats but the body does not absorb anything good from it. my dad was a petroleum engineer and would not have the stuff in the house.
i get inflammation very easily so i will discuss that aspect with my eye doc in sept. don't need more issues to juggle. giggle.
yea, i've been thru it but the great news is it's all done and i don't have to worry about it ever again. love that! also love how easy it is to pop my teeth out and brush them, giggle.
will look for the nose spray. fortunatly my nose is less affected by this all, giggle, so far. i do get nasty sores in it and found cutting the nose hairs helps that. i'm older so i have man nose hair now. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Oh nooo! I did n't know vaseline was bad for you. The only two things I use it for is my lips which gets really really dry especially in the corners and I use it on my cuticles. Maybe I should look at another option. Unfortunately chapstick does absolutely nothing for my lips.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
(female)

rocker1965 HB User

Liquid calcium and magnesium supplements have really helped my muscle cramping. Hope this helps!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
(female)

FMSUCKS HB User

the only things that helps most of the time, that makes the pain in my legs bearable is wrapping my legs in a electric blanket,and drinking tonic water for the leg cramps. the tonic water has quinine in it, i read that on this site that someone suggested it and it works wonders, and i wish i would have known about that years ago. stay strong

Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quinine sulfate either in pill form or in quinine water has been used for years for leg cramps at night. It makes perfect sense that it might work for leg aching and restless leg syndrome as well. It has to be used with caution or not at all in people on blood thinners as it can interfere with platellet function, but I'm going to give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply Reply