It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
exercise not helping

I am so frustrated. I am in pain all the time and thought, well, maybe I need to exercise again and get moving. It probably will be the best thing in the end, but, for now, it's just awful. I dont' overdo it and while I am working out I feel ok. Actually pretty good. Within fifteen minutes after I start with the tightening up. Then the whole rest of the day I feel cruddy. SOOOOO sore. All night long I am tossing and turning in pain. ( which I did prior to it too, so maybe it's not really related at all).

I just feel that this fibro is taking over and letting me be in charge and I really hate it. I figure if I work out slowly and eat well, I will feel great and when that doesn't work I feel a bit deflated.

One thing I can say is I will not give up or give in. It's just that it's hard. I wish I could afford to do water workouts I hear they are so gentle. The cost is jut prohibitive for me.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

The following user gives a hug of support to tmrots:
desertlady42 (09-01-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: exercise not helping

I had this problem for a long time. What helped was partly medication. (it doesn't relieve my pain permanently, but reaping the benefits of a new medicine made it much easier to START exercising!)

It was also partly finding the best exercise techniques. Conditioning Pilates works very well for me, I take classes at the local Y. And finally, exercise still makes me feel somewhat worse sometimes, and sometimes I just have to do it anyway.

Of course, the level of pain you report is more than a reasonable person would "power through!"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

tmrots - Don't give up coz as you know exercise is really important - I know it's frustrating - what sort of exercise are you currently doing and how long for? And are you stretching after? x

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User

My doctor suggested I start doing Tai Chi because of it's slow fluid movements. I ordered a DVD on Tai Chi as well as one on Qi Gong which is more of a stretching meditation type thing, I think.
I've had them for 2 weeks but I haven't tried them yet. For me, it's not the pain keeping me from exercising, it's the fatigue. I'm lucky to drag myself out to the car to take the kids to school and drag myself back in. It's ridiculous.
When I finally try the DVD's out though, I will let you know if they are any good.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

I've been on the neck and low back boards for many years as I have lots of ongoing back issues. However, since a major lumbar surgery in December, 2012, I haven't had any relief. I too feel better when exercising (when I drag myself there) and feel miserable the rest of the day. I'm planning on asking my PM doctor and I have an appointment with a rheumtalogist in November if my symptoms could be fibro.

I've gotten off the topic here, but can relate to how I feel good while exercising, and then unable to move afterwards. As always, these boards are very helpful.

The following user gives a hug of support to dunerkat58:
tanasmom (09-18-2012)
Reply Reply