It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

Elmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB User
Fibro and Eyes

So can Fibromyalgia affect your eyes?

I've been having problems for a year or so and finally got in to see a rheumatologist a couple of days ago. I think she is leaning toward fibromyalgia and has run testing to r/o other things.

I have pain in my hands, feet, hips and occassionally back. My hip and my hands will sometimes stop working. Once my hip would not hold my weight for 4 days. I could not grip a pen for three days. I have extreme fatigue. I cannot focus or concentrate. I have headaches. Blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, my question is I also get this feeling that something is in my eye. It has happened three times. It is happening right now. It feels like dust or dirt is in there and I need to get it out. And then everything starts getting blurry and I can't see well. I just didn't think this would be typical of fibro. Any thoughts?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: Fibro and Eyes

Hi, I do have problems with my eyes but not the same as yours. I am very sensitive to light and cannot look at anything with stripes or certain patterns without getting dizzy. What did your rheumy say about the eye problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you are right it is not normal for fibro. it is however normal for sjogrens disease. please ask your rheumy to test you for that. it is not one of the tests on the list of junk they rule out to diagnose fibro. wish it was.
get some eye wash and some good eye drops. suggest you see your eye doc also and test for dry eye syndrome. what you describe is what my eye doc jokingly calls junk eye. you may not be producing enough tears to clean your eyes so the junk collects in the upper or lower lid.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

She only asked if I had gotten a recent eye exam, which I haven't. I am going to make an appt soon. I have 3 well baby checks and dentist appts for the kids coming up along with my neuro appt and follow up with the rheumatologist so I was trying to kinda wait for any more doctor appts. I guess sooner might be better than later though.

What test would they run for Sjogrens?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

it's a simple blood test. if they think you have it and it does not show up in blood, a lip biopsy can be done. and if i remember another tissue biopsy from the hip? sorry, can't remember today. i have had it so long it's in my blood. sounds like you are doing what i am. running from doctor to doctor for different reasons, giggle, but oh, what work it is!
i am really glad i am old and my kids take me to the doctors now. you have your hands full sister! enjoy your babies, they grow up so fast. mine are in their 30's now.
peace,
blue

Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Hi, I have a lot of eye problems. I have been diagnosed with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye) and had punctal plugs put in to help. I know the feeling you are talking about....feels like sand, an eyelash or sometimes a pebble stuck in your eye and no matter what you do nothing helps. My doctors think I may have sjogren's sydrome but I have not tested positive for the antibodies. I also have dry mouth and nose but my eyes were the first thing that bothered me years ago. Do you have other dry symptoms? I agree with the previous post.. you should ask about getting tested for Sjogren's. In the meantime you could try using a good lubricant eyedrop. If it's really bad the gel drops provide a nice temporary relief. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
(female)

Hmm... maybe that's why we talked about my eyes and then she kept asking about dry mouth. I told her I don't think I have any problems there, but it's hard to be sure because I am constantly drinking something. When she looked in my mouth, she commented it was very dry. I don't know. They did take 6 or 7 vials of blood and I have no idea what they were checking me for!!

They kept asking me specific questions about what my family doctor wanted them to look for and I told them I did not know. I went to him with these problems, he sent me here. They seemed a bit annoyed I did not have the answers, but they didn't give me a whole lot of in depth information either. I'm hoping to be filled in at my next appt when I get my test results. I will demand it!!

And oh how I do enjoy my little rugrats! I tried for 10 yrs before being able to have my first. My problems started with my 2nd pregnancy and have only gotten worse. They are now 3, 2, 11 months. They don't understand mommy hurts, and shouldn't have to!! It's unfair. Somedays we just play. We eat already cut up fruit, veggies, crackers, peanut butter, diced chicken...whatever is in the fridge until daddy comes home to cook a decent dinner. We don't clean, or even get dressed. Just lay around in our jammies, read books, watch movies, play with dolls and trucks, play games. They think it is fun but really it is all I have energy for and that is OK. That's how they've learned their ABC's, to count, etc. I don't want to miss a single second of these precious years!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Like you I have young children 6. It can be hard, but children do not notice if the house is not tidy or care if they get dressed. The fact that you read and play with them and spend time with them is all that counts. There are children out there who have healthy parents who do not give them that time. Your children are lucky to have you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
Elmbabies3 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

you can get copies of any tests from the place you had them done. just ask. i get copies of everything so i can take my time, look up things i may not understand and then bombard the doc with more questions. i am a demandingly sweet patient. i worked in the field of medicine so i always tell them that. then i get facts and not sugar coated nothing.
be proactive, this is your body.
i remember the days of playing all day with the kids and to heck with the house. i was healthy then. kids come first.
peace,
blue

Closed Thread