It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
(female)

jsw815 HB User
Odd symptoms--fibro or something else?

Hi guys,

Normally I only suffer from mild sleep issues, constant but low level & manageable fatigue, and I used to be mildly hypothyroid but as of the latest blood tests I'm not anymore.

The thing is, sometimes under stress or with illness I will develop:

--An intolerance to cold (I don't necessarily _feel_ cold, but the cold makes my joints ache and ache)
--what I've only been able to call "nerve spasms"--jolts of pain in the sensitive areas of my body, inside of wrists, backs of hands, legs, calves, arms, you name it. Sometimes when I jerk from one spasm it will trigger another and so on. (World of pain!)
--sleep disturbances (due to the above--I'll be whimpering and jolting in pain all night, so obviously I can't sleep :P)

Sometimes it accompanies fever (I feel like it comes secondary to the fever; see the above stress) but not always.

This has been going on my whole life, but not constantly. The word from my mother is that I got a strange rash when I was an infant and it started after that (and she had no idea what was going on until I was old enough to talk).

This got better for several years in my late teens and early twenties but in the last several months it's become more frequent and triggered by more things. (the last two were from a spider bite and unknown-but-possibly-diet-related, respectively) When I do get a flare-up, it's pretty debilitating, and the only thing I've found that helps is anti-inflammatories, and even then only mildly. The worst of it will usually go on for 8-16 hours, but it's not uncommon for it to linger for days.

I've mentioned this to several doctors with not much success except one who referred me for a brainscan as a teen (but I wasn't symptomatic at the time, so of course it was OK). I figured since I'd gotten several inconclusive answers that it was just a weird tic of mine and I'd have to deal with it. But one or two people have suggested fibro (including one who _has_ fibro) so I figured I'd ask about it.

But I do know that fibro mimics symptoms of other things, I just don't know what those other things are. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to jsw815:
xSky (09-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Odd symptoms--fibro or something else?

hello and welcome,
other illnesses that have almost the same symptoms are lupus, sjogrens, and thyroid issues. those are the ones i can think of right now. giggle.
the jerking thing could be restless leg syndrome. it can affect your whole body and be very discomforting. i had it and it was rough for about 10 years then tapered off to almost never.
suggest you find a good rheumatologist to run some tests and ask for the sjogrens cause they don't run that one. they have to rule out all the scary stuff to find fibro. as yet there is no specifc blood work to show it in our bodies.
have a lovely day.
peace,
bluelakelady

Last edited by bluelakelady; 09-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Welcome to the board!

Yes, please call our primary or go in to see them, tell them you want a referal to a Rhumetologist. They specialize in this. Regular family drs aren't trained for this so it's easy to spend years & lots of $ trying to get help. I wish I would have known what a Rhumetologist was all those years.
They will run the needed tests.
I get that bone chilling cold, I've blaimed it in thyroid for a long time but may be fibro...
Achy bones/joints are a yes also.
I get nerve pain also, light jolts of nerve pain, feels like it shoots through the bones. Only mild spasms, not much.

Sleep issues are common to us. I don't have a sleep disorder, just have a hard time falling asleep. You can take melatonin & works great for putting you to sleep! I can't take it because I end up restless a few hours later & the rest of the night. But I take a muscle relaxer usually. Lately I'm falling asleep on my own which is nice

I was sick allot as a child also. I got rashes but im allergic to wheat starch & that wa prob the reason. Also had allot of stomach pains & nausea, but could have been the wheat. Did good through the teen years then CFS hit when I was 18, fibro when I was 30.

Fibro has so many symptoms... I'm sure there are things you've lived with for so long, it's normal for you & don't think of it as a symptom... It's a good idea to keep a lot of your symptoms & also a time line of your symptoms, when they started, ect. This will help when you see a Rhumetologist.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

How many hours a night are you able to sleep?

Reply Reply