It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User
To have kids or not to have kids

I was wondering if anyone on here decided to have kids AFTER they were diagnosed? I'm getting to the point in my life where the possibility of having kids is growing. I've been living with Fibro for the past 8 years and I pretty much have it under control, but I'm a little scared to have kids with the possibility that I may not be able to handle it. Any thoughts/stories would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: To have kids or not to have kids

hi,
good question. i have a few for you. do you have family support nearby to help? is your mate helpful and willing to change diapers? do you have to work also? what age will you be when your child turns 18?
while motherhood is a lovely concept it is also a great deal of work and worry. i love my kids but it was a 24 hour a day job also and the fatigue was unbelieveable the first 3 years. for myself i could not do it again given the body i now have. giving my all is who i am as a mom and these days there is not much all left to give. giggle.
it's such a personal choice. have you considered adopting? or better yet doing some foster care to see if you are up to it. often you can get babies who are in transition so that means caring for a limited time then letting go.
sorry i am too old to be the type of mom you are reaching out to but had some thoughts and thought i would but my fanny in. giggle.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

I do have amazing parents and a very helpful mate. I work a full time job. I would be 51 yrs old when my kid would turn 18 (if I had one today). It is such a personal choice and I can't seem to decide. I seem to go back and forth with my decision, but there always seems to be a little voice in the background saying "yes, you want a child." I don't think I could adopt or foster a child....so I guess it comes down to what I can handle and the help I have within my family.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User
Talking Re: To have kids or not to have kids

I just have to say this because I have 2 kids, 5 and 9 years old. I live and breathe for them. I have no idea what I did before they came along. I can't imagine anyone having to go without experiencing the love you feel for your own child and the unconditional love you get in return. This is my opinion only...but if I had to do it again with the fibro, I would. The feeling of chubby little arms wrapped around your neck and hearing "I love you Mommy" is the best thing I will ever experience in my life. I would go through hell for it....and I did...just not with Fibro.
I hope you make the right decision for you. One that you won't regret later either way. It's a tough choice. I am wishing the best for you !!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User

Agree I would do it again and again! Pain or no pain! My kids are my world, I am in pain everyday, but the live I get from my babies ages 7, 22 mos and 6 mos is enough to make anything in life worth it! If you feel like you want kids then you have to have them! It will make you complete put the pain aside and think about what u want? I am a 14 on a pain scale of 0-10 right now, but as I sit here feeding my baby girl with a heating pad on my back looking at her smile and fiddle with her bottle, listening to me sing to her and making her giggle... It almost makes the pain feel a little less... For a second sure she just kicked me in my chest because she was excited and it felt like someone shot me, but I take a breath and hold her tiny foot in my hand and it goes away. kids are more than rewarding, they are more than unconditional love, there is not even a word to describe it! I hope you decide to go for it... Especially if you have support, I do not but I manage all day alone and when they go to bed I relax and deal with myself... Good luck with your decision I just dont want to see someone who wants kids not have them out of fear and then regret it when it's too late blessings

Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

I have 7 children, 1 grown up and 6 still at home 2 of them babies. They keep me going, on days when I feel like giving up I can't, and some how I get there. If you are worried about the effects on your body from pregnancy with fibro maybe rethink adopting. I have 3 adopted and 3 fostered so can't comment on the effects of pregnancy on fibro.

Good luck,

Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I have 4 children and right now no way could i have more kids. When I had 2 of them under the age of 30 pregnancy wasnt so bad. I could never hold or carry them for long. Always wanted to wear my kids in a sling but never could. Now when I had my last 2 over the age of 30 the pregnancies were very very hard. My youngest I feel guilty that I couldnt do alot that I could do with my other children. Usually had to have someone carry her as I was afraid of dropping her.

I just always thought ahead of situations and prepared if that makes sense.

Now it was definitely hard but I wouldnt change having my children ever. It was worth all extra pain and sleeplessness. Children are my world.

I'm 35 and my children are 15,11,5,3.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
(female)

Elmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB User

I'm not sure if what I have is fibro or not but what I am reading on this board is all too familiar so I think that makes me qualified to chime in

My pain got worse with all three of my pregnancies. For a while after my 3rd I thought pregnancy CAUSED my symptoms. I feel I am barely functional at this point. All that being said, I agree with all the mommies on here.

Blue's questions are very good. I was nodding my head through each one. Definitely things you should work out before doing it. But the desire to have children will NEVER just go away. It will get stronger. And one thing I can guarantee is you will never look into your child's eyes and regret your decision to have them no matter what you go through.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

please remember we are wired to want kids. as we age the clock ticks louder. it is natures way of keeping us from going extinct. you have to determine if the desire you feel is because you truly want to bring and raise a good human or just the clock telling you you are supposed to want kids by now.
my girlfriends from school had their kids later and wish they had started earlier. why? cause when i was free they were changing diapers. i had one birth child at age 23. i adopted the rest.
like the other moms i would not trade those years for anything. i have a special needs son. also important to realize the older you get the older and less viable your eggs are. same with a mans sperm.
i will say my friends who started later had more patience with their kids. age does have it's perks.
please sit down with your body and really plug in. are you hearing a tick tock or do you hear your heart singing for the joy of gifting love and guidance to a new human.
peace,
blue

Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome to the boards, I will just put in my two cents worth. Wanting to have children is in your heart, not in your head or your ticking biological clock. Relax, don't over think it and just listen. Take fibro out of the equation, because if you really want children fibro won't be the deciding factor. Like some of the other posters said, when those little ones smile and look up at you, when they need you and depend on you and love you unconditionally......well......fibro doesn't matter. You seem to have a support system and that is a step ahead of the game.
Now I have to tell you, I'm a grandmother and I was in my late 20's when I had my two 18mo.s apart. Sometime during those early years fibro kicked in, but that was too long ago for docs to know what it was. And actually I probably had it before that. Now I have 3 grandsons....10, 3, and 4mo.s. And a granddaughter due mid Nov. I babysit all the time. Yes, sometimes I get tired and hurting and gripe to my friend about it, but I love those little boys and couldn't go without seeing them.
So best advice, Listen to your heart!

Glojer

Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User

My daughters are 16 months apart and my pain started in my pregnancy with my second daughter... I wonder if pregnancies so close together have anything to do with anything??? My son is 5.6 years older than my oldest daughter, only mild upper back pains with her but was absolutely miserable with my last one, that's when the dizzy spells started wonder if any of it could be linked?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I am really liking this thread. 31 years old myself, probably going to try to get pregnant within the next year.

I'm not really afraid of the fibro getting in the way of bearing a child. About 1/3 of women feel worse during pregnancy, 1/3 feel better, and 1/3 find no real difference.

Afterward? Well, I do not expect to go straight back to work at a 60-hour a week job afterward. I will rely on my husband and family for help. But I really think I can do it.

Now, I'm lucky in that my fibro is relatively mild. If I was much worse, near-bedridden, I wouldn't try to have a child.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

I don't have kids myself but I can offer some advice both from me with discussions with my doctors and with a close friend who recently gave birth and she has had fibro for a very long time. The problem she had the most was having to come off of her medications. She really struggled. But she recovered quick after the delivery.

I can't have children for multiple reasons (even tho I want them desperately). The biggest of all is I'm on over 12 medications between my Fibro and psychological issues. I would have to come off of over half of them because of the risk to birth deformities.

So just something you should definitely should think about. But if you get the chance I say go for it! Just get yourself prepared for any bumps that may come up.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

Thank you for all your input! For someone who has Fibro, I consider myself pretty lucky. I'm not on any daily pain meds and I'm still able to be pretty active. Although sometimes it does kick me where you know where. In my heart I believe I could do this, I think it just scares me sometimes. But having the wonderful family I have, I know they would be there if I would ever need help.

Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

being a mom is always scary. giggle. no matter how old they get you worry. i wish you the best with your child to come one day. that baby will be blessed with a mom who thinks ahead, who really thought about gifting life, and chose it.
i think you will be a very good mom. you already are a good human. glad you got the lighter version of fibro. do please let us know what you decide. giggle.
peace,
blue

Reply Reply