It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

desertlady42 HB User
Cymbalta?

Hello, My rheumatologist is going to start me on medication for Fibro. She wanted me to think about the possible side effects before deciding to go on something because of other issues that I have. After doing a little research I've decided that Cymbalta may be the best for me. I saw that a lot of people that tried Lyrica had to stop taking it but others have done well on it. Savella has too many possible side effects that would not be good fo me.
Does anyone have any positive stories about Cymbalta helping them? This would also be the cheapest insurance co-pay for me so I'm hoping it will give me some relief!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Cymbalta?

hi,
i have one daughter on it for fibro. she says it's a lifesaver for her. she works full time and has 2 kids, one 18 and one 14.
i am unable and unwilling to take these types of meds. they depress me. giggle. hope you find some help with it.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Thanks Blue! One thing I'm worried about is that it's an antidepressant and I don't have depression...frustration yes but not depression I wasn't sure if it would have an opposite effect on me. I've been taking trazadone for sleep for many years with no problem so I'm sure it will be fine. At this point I am willing to try anything!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

if you start to feel depressed or overly sad over something little stop and call your doc. my doc said i am too happy so those meds turn me upside down. i quite agree. i have never felt such sadness. upside was i saw for a brief time what the world of depression feels like and it gave me a deeper empathy for those who walk their lives with it.
peace,
blue
ps. watch out for the try anything trap.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Hi, I take cymbalta and while it has helped, it's not without a trade off or 2. I do get a few side effects the biggest and hardest to deal with are sweating and fatigue. Like we aren't tired enough right. Those 2 sides are bad enough for me I have been considering trying life without it, the sweating is what really gets me.

Do all the research you can and give it some deep thought, don't let the need for relief cloud your brain. Going off Cymbalta is no easy task even after you've been on it for a few weeks for some.

If you decide to go on it, start slow with low doses and give your body time to adjust. My doc started me on 20mg and I thank him for his being cautious. Plus it gives room to up the dose. Everything I've read and understood is that any dose above 60mg does not make a difference in pain level. That's been one of my biggest questions is where do we go from there??

Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I ditto what WW said bout starting on a low dose and working up. I have been on it for 2 1/2 yrs and it's worked great for me. I tried lyrica and savella and the side effects were awful. I had no side effects from cymbalta but if I miss a day then i dont feel real good and feel like im gonna pass out so i make sure never to skip.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

ok, now I am really confused I spoke to my doctor about starting a medication and now she is telling me she would like to start me on Desipramine. With all the research I did online for medications used to treat fibro I have never run into this one...I have never even heard of this antidepressant. She seemed pretty insistent on starting me with this so I could'nt really argue it, but I'm wondering if this will even help if no one else seems to be taking it. Has anyone else tried this? So much for Cymbalta

Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Don't you just love it when a doc does that. Did she offer up why she wanted to start you on that? If not maybe a call and chat with that question may not hurt.

I had never heard of it either. A quick search and no place did I see it used off label for FM, but did see off label use for neuropathy.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I take Cymbalta for depression, but also have lupus and peripheral neuropathy, so it helps with all three. I get along with it fine. There is no reason to worry that an antidepressant will cause depression. Ble lake lady's reaction (idiosyncratic) is very unusual. Remember, if you try it and don't like it, you can always go off. It is not addictive. It may also allow you to go off the Trazadone. I agree with start low and go slow on dose increases. It seems helpful for chronic pain and actually helps my fatigue. Please give us feedback if you decide to try it. We all learn from each other's experiences.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

found a reference to chronic pain and this med focusing on the spinal column and the messages from body to brain. same side affects. seems to be an older drug from what i found. not considered a first step med. interesting.
i'm with sis, have a good chat with your doc about why. this is your body. like my daddy used to say, if you don't know what it is don't put it in your mouth. tho i was a wee child, the concept still makes sense. acutally more sense now. before it was dirt and rocks. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker View Post
Don't you just love it when a doc does that. Did she offer up why she wanted to start you on that? If not maybe a call and chat with that question may not hurt.

I had never heard of it either. A quick search and no place did I see it used off label for FM, but did see off label use for neuropathy.
My rheumatologist said she wanted me to start on a more traditional drug for fibro (???) to reduce the possibility of side effects. Funny thing is I just looked up possible side effects and they would all be horrible for me...increased blood pressure, hair loss, stomach cramps, sun sensitivity. ...etc. I already have a lot of these problems so I'm hoping they won't get worse! I realize that all drugs have possible side effects but I really felt that Cymblata would have been best for me.

I also looked to see any connection with this drug and fibro and can't find any info on it. I guess I will have to try it because she didnt seem as though she would change her mind. I was looking forward to starting something that may help with my pain but now I am just plain scared

Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Desipramine is an older tricyclic antidepressant that has the advantages of boosting your energy and was used a lot for attention deficit disorder in the past. Not many Drs use tricyclics anymore, and I would be afraid it might worsen your insomnia. It is very stimulating and on the opposite end of stimulating/sedating spectrum as Trazadone. The tricyclics are more prone to side effects than newer drugs. Dry mouth, fast heartrate, constipation are common. I would ask her why this drug instead of Cymbalta, and what symptoms is she aiming at reducing? This one is not used for chronic pain typically and hardly used at all anymore for anything.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
(male)

ojan HB User

What dosage of desipramine does she want you to take? I took 50mg/day. I'm told that's not enough for it to actually act as an antidepressant, but it does function to lessen pain due to nerve related issues.

I've been dealing with funcational dyspepsia, which is admittedly very different, but I tried both desipramine and cymbalta and had very different experiences.

I tried cymbalta for one day and coming up on it was sooooo terrible that I couldn't imagine doing it a second day. Reading forums about it, it's not uncommon for the first couple days to be awful before your body adjusts.

I've been on and off desipramine for 4 years now. It's been the only thing that's clearly helped with my GI problems. My doctor initially had me take it before bed, but that did interfere with my sleep. So, he had me take it in the morning instead and it was fine.

The only side effect I noticed was a very dry mouth. Unfortunately, there were side effects I didn't notice. My heart rate went up about 20bpm and my liver functions (AST/ALT) became slightly elevated. My understanding is that this is a known, but rare reaction to desipramine, but that's why I can't stay on it all the time and only use it when I have a particularly bad bought.

If I were you, I'd try the desipramine first as the side effects were much more manageable for me.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Oh dear!! I am even more confused than ever. She told me to take at night because it makes you really drowsy...never said anything about insomnia. I keep reading how common the dry mouth side effect is with this drug and now I am wondering why she would choose this for me because I possibly have Sjogren's and have a terribly dry mouth already (like if I don't have water with me at all times I can't speak normal). She did say all the drugs used to treat fibro cause dry mouth but this may be less of the effect.

She is starting me on a really low dose for the first month, I think 10-20mg? I asked if I could keep taking the low dose of trazadone that I take for sleep and she said that would be fine and may help me sleep even better.

Thank you for the replies and information. I can't seem to find too much about this for fibro but I did see about the nerve pain. I will try it and if the dry mouth is too severe I will have to stop.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
(male)

ojan HB User

For what it's worth, every doctor I saw expected that desipramine would make me drowsy and was surprised when I said it made it hard for me to sleep. The thing with all of these drugs is that everyone reacts differently. For me, the side effects that I noticed from desipramine were very mild. The dry mouth was annoying, but nothing compared to my stomach discomfort, so it was worth it. If not for the liver issues, I would still be taking it.

My doctor had me start with 25mg/desipramine for a week or two and the up it to 50mg after that. Same thing with stopping. He had me cut it down to 25mg for a couple weeks before stopping completely.

Good luck.

Reply Reply