It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Is there anybody here who cannot rest his neck on the pillow?

Hello. I was just wondering. Is there anyone here who suffers from chronic debilitating neck pain and cannot rest his/her neck on the pillow and cause of that cannot fall asleep at night?
Were you accused (by your doctors)that it is emotional?.

I am 100% sure it is not an emotional thing cause I had a severe whiplash and since then cannot rest my neck on the pillow. Everytime and I rest my neck on the pillow it hurts like hell.
Also, if you have this "problem", how many hours are you able to sleep?

Would like to hear from you.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: Is there anybody here who cannot rest his neck on the pillow?

Btdt. I have bought a ton of pillows to find one that worked as I was in your shoes off and on and got maybe 1 or 2 hours of sleep. Just try different pillows and see if you find one that helps. Have you had MRI of your neck?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I have tried all kids of pillows too, even a water pillow. It is hard to find the right one. I can only lay on one side, but I guess I am lucky to have that option. I use three pillows a night two scrunched up and one between my knees for the knee pain. It does take time. good luck.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

MRI: 2 minimal bulging disks. Doctors dont' understand why I cannot rest my neck on the pillow.
Just trying to find some people who are going through what I am going through for the last 7 years.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
(female)

lehcar HB Userlehcar HB User

I haven't been going through this as long as you, but I too got severe whiplash in May this year and have chronic pain when trying to lay down with any pillow...my cheap pillows, my not so cheap pillows, and my greatly not so cheap water pillow i purchased just for the whiplashed neck...I have a hard time laying down initially, then i have a hard time getting comfortable...which by the way determines when I'll actually fall asleep...I usually sleep for about 6-7 hours, not very well I might add, for if i roll over in my sleep, even just a little, I have to start all over again... Then I wake up my neck is stiff and sore along with my shoulders...did I mention I had nerve impingement in both shoulders? At first it was just god awful pain in both shoulders and upper arms, then once the bulging discs went down in my neck somewhat the stabbing pain went away and the stiffness and soreness set in along with the popping of every joint and vertebra from the shoulders up...Now you are confirming my worst nightmare...it's never gonna go away is it?...They have me going through physical therapy now to help with the soreness and stiffness, but it seems to make it worse, it definitely makes me feel worse, but it has helped my range of motion of my arms which I truly needed, however if they can't make the pain go away I'm just gonna end up back where I started....and I haven't seen any changes in the pain at night...bummer and I'd hope it would go away after awhile...

Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lecarwoman, severe whiplash never goes away. Severe whiplash causes damaged tendons, ligaments and muscles FOR LIFE. (If it's severe enough).

It's a soft tissue damage. There is nothing to do about it.
Doctors don't have the technique to fix it.

It looks like you will always have this problem of resting your neck on the pillow. If it's been like that for you for already 4 months, how can this change?

Physical therpy did nothing for my neck include the tens machine.

I can only commiserate with you. Just know, I have been living like that(existing)for 7 years. It's always with sleeping pills, but eventually they stop working also.

Oh, imagine as life continues....you won't be able to rest your neck on the pillow ON BOTH SIDES----Just like what I am going through in the last 7 years.

Last edited by nochange; 09-21-2012 at 04:56 AM.

Reply Reply