HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Physical Therapy ??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/917636-physical-therapy.html)

tanasmom 09-09-2012 09:59 AM

Physical Therapy ???

Is Physical Therapy a waste of time or does it help? I have an appointment tomorrow but I need to know if it is worth it. It will cost me each time I go...$32.00. I am supposed to go 3x a week but I can barely afford 2. I really want a TENS machine. Someone told me there was a place in the mall where you can get one for $100.00 with diagrams on where to put the electrodes.
So I guess my question is, do I need physical therapy? Or could I just go buy a TENS machine and do water aerobics or Tai Chi or something else low impact and save my money?

Thanks !!!

mom477 09-09-2012 10:14 AM

Re: Physical Therapy ???

Yes go to it. If you cant afford to go twice a week then atleast once. It may or may not help. And the exercises you learn you can do at home and will always have them. I am started pt again this week.

Brookietrip 09-09-2012 12:20 PM

I am the opposite, physical therapy left ne in awful pain so I quit :( they didn't use the tens unit on me... They also didn't seem to have enough therapists to give the attention needed so I would try it once and see how it naked you feel and then decide :)

thesweetlife 09-09-2012 02:51 PM

Absolutely go for it - just make sure the person you see has experience of working with people with fibro and can talk you through examples of people they have helped and how. Looking forward to hearing the results - best thing in the world for people with fibro is to exercise - and having just watched the paralympics here in the UK - what more can I say :)

janewhite1 09-09-2012 05:57 PM

Go at least for a few sessions. Even if you can't afford a long course of treatment, a good PT can teach you a lot about your body and how to feel better. I bought a home TENS machine after the one at PT worked well, and I also learned some good stretches and exercises.

Of course, you do need to be careful and be vocal. Some discomfort may be unavoidable, but if an exercise hurts, let your PT know it.

bluelakelady 09-10-2012 08:12 AM

one question if i may. why did your doctor order physical therapy for you?
peace,
blue
ps. if you want a tens unit have your doctor write you a script for one and p.t. will get it for you. or you can go on amazon and buy one there. i got mine from p.t. and it was free. so are the pads which they will mail to me monthy.

thesweetlife 09-10-2012 08:34 AM

I've just come back from a session with mine and the difference he is making is amazing - it's only my second session but he's somebody who has worked with people with fibro in the past and has had fab results.
Even though I've kept on exercising these last 5 years since I've had fibro, I've really had to curtail what I do as if I did too much as we all know I'd flare. This guy was talking to me about the IT band = it runs from the hip to the knee and he believes from his experience of people with fibro that the tightness of this muscle is one of our biggest challenges - there is so much connective tissue that radiates from here that it's no wonder when that's tight my thumbs hurt etc. For every one reading this post just prod down the side of your thigh and see how tender it is.
He's making me work my legs - really hard - but in short bursts - and then we work on to a different muscle group and then come back to the legs again. He's been doing amazing stretches with me - practically leaning on me to push me further and I've been amazed that I've only hurt a bit after - which is what would happen to anyone after PT anyway.
He swears by interval training - so 1 minute hard effort and then 1 minute gentle - for 10 mins (ish) and then move on. He's even had me boxing (well sparring with gloves) and I can honestly say I didn't ache at all.
I'll keep you posted on all the things I learn but I'm SO impressed at the moment and he really has helped me with my belief about what I can and can't do exercise wise - it's all about varying the muscle groups and the stretching afterwards.
So please, please give it a go