It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User
Unhappy Fibro and falling risk?

Hello, this a HUGE concern for me. I've been having issues where I try to get up and fall, troubles getting up or down stairs, standing in one place.

It is embarrassing more than anything...but worries me as well. I really don't want to ever have a situation where I fall without someone around and hurt myself.

I'm so young and I just don't understand. Has anyone else dealt with this? I think it may be because of this last flare but it is definitely troubling.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Fibro and falling risk?

hi,
in the first decade of having fibro i had trouble with my legs also. learn to fall. i was dumb. i got canes and a wheelchair. i was so afraid of falling after the first really bad fall. i put my body out of whack and weak using the cane and chair. after being told i was creating more pain by using them i learned to fall and laugh at myself. i make jokes about tripping over a blade of grass and it was true. i still have days where my legs are weak but i am careful and focus thru meditation on walking. it works for me.
being afraid is not healthy for you. fibro loves you to be off center and fearful. it will prolong the flare and feed fibro it's favorite dish, you!
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

Jenelle66 HB User

Wow...this is my first post and I just had to reply to this. I am now recovering from my 2nd broken foot. I have a terrible time falling and am also terrified of it. I always wondered if my ability to constantly fall had anything to do with my fibro.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi and welcome,
healing energy to your broken foot. ouch. i have learned to go limp and not fight it. my last fall was sleepwalking and i tore up my ankle pretty good. my bones have never been broken. i just tear ligaments and tendons, giggle.
i think along with fibro messing with our balance abilities it also finds our weakest point. for me it was my legs. it was like a cycle tho. my legs are stll my weak spot but i don't fall near as much as i did during that decade of eating dirt most every day. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

Thank you guys for your responses. It helps me to know others are having troubles with this too and working through it. I need the positivity to get me through it!

Are there any things you guys use to help going up and down stairs? Because of the way my house is set up I have to go from the downstairs to the upstairs at least once a day. I have fallen on the steps twice this year. Both times injuring myself.

I think I'm going to look into some gentle strength training on my legs. Maybe that could help, just so I don't get stupid and push it too far lol.

Thanks again and take care

Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

kc1958 HB User

I don't have problems with falling BUT I have gotten very clumsy and often walk into corners of the walls....actually I think "they" see me coming and jump out and smack me. LOL No, I'm not that crazy, I know my walls aren't moving or out to get me. It is embarrassing though when somebody sees me flat out smack into the corner of a wall like I'm drunk or something and I don't drink. As for stairs...also my enemy. My laundry room is upstairs so trying to navigate going up and down with laundry is a problem and I have fallen several times...thankfully I have not suffered major injuries, just very bruised and scraped up a bit. I've found that if I go up or down the stairs sideways instead of forward then it's much safer. Takes longer to get up and down doing it that way but going sideways I'm able to hold the banister with both hands (unless I have laundry).

I know a woman was not involved when the blueprints for this house was built in 1965 because NO woman in her right mind would put a laundry room upstairs. Moving is not an option nor is moving the laundry room downstairs. When I'm feeling especially clumsy I get my husband to tote the laundry.

Reply Reply