It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

Mayahsun HB User
Accepting my Diagnosis - Moving forward

New to the board... Hello to everyone

I was diagnosed with FM 9 months ago. I have had some difficulty accepting the diagnosis, but am trying to embrace it and learn to deal with it.

My question is..... how do you deal with everyday tasks? I am fortunate to work from my home office, which allows me time to rest as needed. I have trouble with my housework and chores in the yard. If I clean my small home completely in one day, I am down with pain, fatigue and overall ill feeling for about two days.
I am unable to take any medications for the pain due to my new problem with sensitivities to medications

I can't sleep very well at night, my legs are flailing around when I lay down.

I am just a mess, my doctor and I went a couple rounds on my last visit, I left in tears and she was very frustrated with my insistence that something else was wrong.

I apologize for rambling, my head is just so confused and I don't know where to begin taking care of myself

Thank you for reading and any advice on things that have helped you would be greatly appreciated. I need a starting point on dealing with my new life

Maya

Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Accepting my Diagnosis - Moving forward

Hi Maya

I've accepted my fibro, makes sense... But I do beleive there is something else going on. Mainly because I have a dissociative dissorder & feel like something else is causing it & not PTSD. Also I have painful swollen joints (& bone pain) & still don't know if that's fibro or not. Course muscle pain but that's fibro. Also edema, weight gain for no reason a few yrs ago, 2nd time this has happend. The last time i lost it a few yrs later, 55 pounds in 3 months. I have a feelin it'll happen again one of these days. Then my fibro get worst instead of better. You would think learning to control it should improve your life. I rely on meds 100% now. As long as I am consistent with my meds it doesn't Get do bad I'm sick... I slacked a few days ago & was so sick. Course this time of year it gets worst. My constant daily nausea is here again.
Anyhow, what I'm getting at... If you have symptoms you think isn't fibro, make your dr listen & help you figure out what's going on. I honestly think you need a new dr. Are you seeing a Rhumetologist? If not please ask for a referal!
I have been tested for everything, or do I thought... I still find things to be tested for. I had to request an MRI to test for ms. Also bloodwork for Sjogrens. I guess that's only 60% accurate so will ask for the lip biopsy next time I see one of my drs. I have 4 different ones I see.

As for getting through your day... You will find why works best for you. You have to learn to tell people "no". If something is too much for you, say no. I know it's hard, I always feel bad, but I know why I can & can't do.
I get overwhelmed with stuff & forget things that are important. I had a yard sale this summer, planned it in a few days & forgot to tell 2 friends so they can put stuf in it. They were mad at me & haven't talked to me since May. But oh well, guess they aren't true friends. The ones I do have are so helpful & supportive! I of course will help them with whatever I can also.
Having fibro is hard on relationships. No one can understand what you are going through. The main thing is that they are supportive & don't cause more stress for you. Also, its ok if your house is messier or dirtier than you like. I prefer it spotless & clean but with 4 kids & a farm, I've learned to do what's important & get to the rest when I can.
It's easy to push yourself & over do it. You learn your boundaries. If you plan on mowing the lawn but something pops up you have to do, the lawn will be there tomorrow. Most of us make a mental list of things to do ahead of time & if we do something unplanned, we put off something on our list. It's frustraiting & takes time to learn to live with fibro. But you really do learn how.
I'm not working & know I couldn't. I filed for ssdi feb 2010 & still waiting on it. At this point I'm not sure I I'll ever get it but don't have any other choice. We need the income & I know I couldnt work. Be proud of yourself. I don't know how you do it!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply