It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

Elmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB User
Fibro and weight?

I have read a lot of people on here have weight issues as well as fibro. Such as gaining or losing without a big change in diet. I now weigh 7 pounds more than when I delivered any of my babies and about 40 pounds more than I did before getting pregnant. I am getting so frustrated!! Last week I decided I would cut back, I just jumped on the scale and have gained 5 more pounds!!!

I do have a thyroid problem but it is supposedly under control with my last TSH being 0.8 I believe. I know you need T3 and T4 results as well, but I don't have those as my GP has been treating me and doesn't draw those. I don't see how Fibro could be responsible for weight problems, but since I have read it so often, thought I would get others' takes on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Fibro and weight?

Hello,
I know how frustraiting it is. In 1999 I was at 125, happy healthy & very active. I got pregnant and sooo exhausted. That just never went away. My body felt heavy, sore & tired. I was also hit with a dissociative disorder called derealization. At the end of my pregnancy i was 195. I went down to 175 when she was born. I stayed that way. Even after my 2nd child I went back to 175 after he was born. Anyhow, I blaimed pregnancy, then postpartum, & started seeking help. I later (in 2010) found out it was chronic fatigue & derealization. But it took 11 yrs. Anyhow in 2003 I started on Armour for low thyroid. I felt alittle better, enough to push myself. Months later I managed to lose 55 pounds in 3 months! I do think I had allot I edema issues & that was allot of it. Anyhow, I stayed at 120 for years. Had a good 3rd pregnancy in 2009. I still pushed myself, not much of a change in activity or diet. But I gained about 30 pounds within a few months. Then kept gaining. I've been around 170 since. I don't know go I gained it, the scale just wouldn't stop going up! The only thing I can think of is a dr switched my thyroid med to levothyroid or something like that. I have been back on my armour over a yr now but no weight loss. Anyhow, after my last child was born the pain started setting in & just got worst. I injured my back in 2005, took 6 months for releif but was never the same. That was the first pain tiger worst. I was diagnosed with fibro in 2010 along with te CFS & dissociative dissorder. Fibro just gets worst. As poor of an appetite I have, always pushing myself then nausea & vomiting issues, I don't lose weight. Even went through phases of 1000 calories a day & exercise as my main priority.
Anyhow, I do wonder if losing weight is some kind of side effect of a remission... If so I really wish it would kick in. I do have allot of edema issues & although I feel like I'm full of inflammation tests say I'm not.
It's very frustraiting but all we can do is not give up. I do think that I'll lose weight again but seems like it'll be in my body's terms & not mine. Don't give up. Don't eat unhealthy foods because you figure you won't lose it anyways. Just do your best to take care of your body. It will come off eventually. I have a friend that complains about her weight but she does it too herself. She admits she loves food. I wish it was that simple for me. I would just eat healthier & exercise. I'm just not so lucky. I eat small portions, rare if food actually sounds good.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I agree that with fibro it is very hard to lose weight. While I have always been a healthy eater and exercised, I seemed to gain weight. The meds don't help any either. I have Hashimoto's thyroid and was being treated with Synthroid, however my T3 was very low even though my T4 and TSH was normal range. Cytomel has been added and I feel so much better, I have so much more energy. I have also dropped 10 lbs without changing diet or exercise. In addition,I found out that we should never use generics for treating thyroid, only name brands.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

when i first got diagnosed with fibro i was 145. went up to 192 on so called fibro meds. that was 1996. now i weigh 120 and have a hard time keeping weight on. i keep my thyroid a bit hyper for energy. works on weight too i guess. giggle.
don't ever let a doctor tell you losing weight will make a huge diff. it doesn't. giggle.
peace,
blue
ps. i quit all meats and sweet drinks and the meds. have held my weight for 7 years now.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 09-19-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Reply Reply