It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
(female)

cammieak HB User
New to board: Pain meds for FM'ers

Hello, I'm new here.. I was diagnosed with FM/MPS about 9 years ago. The PM I was seeing left our area and I just started seeing a new PM doctor. For pain management I am on Fentanyl patch 50mg/48 hours (was 100, but asked to be dropped, much better mentally now, but have seen a steep increase in my daily pain levels), Roxicodone 15mg for BT pain, and have been going back and forth trying to find a new muscle relaxer that works again, after being on Zanaflex for about 8 years. My new PMDr put me on Nuvigil and Savella, as well. The Savella didn't do anything for me, except possibly cause more FibroFog; I tried it for 2 months. The Nuvigil, after I got over the initial surprise side effects, gave me a sudden onset case of painful and irritating tinnitus.

I do not want to take it anymore. I am interested in hearing what BT meds work for everyone else. I've been on the Roxicodone for a while now and although it is great for an hour or so, it doesn't last. I want more functional time out of my day. Thanks in advance for sharing

Last edited by Administrator; 09-18-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: New to board: Pain meds for FM'ers

For pain I take a combo of Lyrica and Cymbalta. I use to take adderall for fatigue and focus, but once they properly diagnosed and treated my thyroid, I stopped it. I have hydrocodone for break thru pain. Massage, heat and water aerobics are wonderful too.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pammyann:
cammieak (09-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Pammyann For This Useful Post:
cammieak (09-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

cammieak HB User

Pammyann, have you experienced any side effects from the Lyrica? I tired taking it for a couple of months when it first came out and had problems with my tongue falling a sleep. My PMD tood me off of it after that. Do you feel like it helps with your pain?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Lyrica, cymbolta & Nuerontin all made my fatigue worst. Cymbolta is a nightmare to go off of so I never suggest trying it anymore... I'm on savella & like it... But I sweat allot & never used to be like that. I've thought about going off it... When on these it really does seem like they don't work. But I have tried not taking them & noticed how much of a difference they actually made... I take tramadol & ibprofren regularly now. Seemed to help me take control for awhile there... Now doesn't seem to be doing much of anything... But that's probably because I always over do it & never recoup...
I'm thinking about talking to my drs about gettin a prescription for a more "natural" medication. Never really thought I'd get to this point... But the pain also causes alot of nausea & vomiting & supposed to help that also...
Please research before trying something new. Always a good idea to see what others are saying, what your dr suggests, ect. I used to be sooo against medications of any kind... Unfortunetly there comes a time when we have to do why we can to have a better quality of life...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
(female)

cammieak HB User

Thank you for replying. I had forgotten about the excessive perspiration with Savella - - that was another reason I didn't like it. I couldn't report a single good effect after two months, but my family complained that my memory and cognitive skills seemed to have taken an even further dip. I stopped on my own, before seeing my PMD (this week). We'll see what he says next..

Good luck to you! : )

Last edited by cammieak; 09-19-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

I am on amytriptiline( spelling)?, and butrans 10mg patch for pain which at the moment I am finding very effective.

The following user gives a hug of support to Agenda:
cammieak (09-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
cammieak (09-19-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

CherieAZ HB User

I take carisoprodol or Soma for muscle spasms. It helps as long as I don't take it every day. I am on fentanyl patch 50 mcg every 2 days, because the third day I was in too much pain. I do sit in a hot tub but not for more than 30 minutes.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
(female)

CherieAZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyann View Post
For pain I take a combo of Lyrica and Cymbalta. I use to take adderall for fatigue and focus, but once they properly diagnosed and treated my thyroid, I stopped it. I have hydrocodone for break thru pain. Massage, heat and water aerobics are wonderful too.
I take carisoprodol or Soma for muscle spasms. It helps as long as I don't take it every day. I am on fentanyl patch 50 mcg every 2 days, because the third day I was in too much pain. I do sit in a hot tub but not for more than 30 minutes.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
(female)

cammieak HB User

Same for me on the patch, it doesn't last for 3 days. My PMD and I think it may be because of the hot-tub. My hot-tub is definitely my saving grace. Once in awhile, soaking actually makes me hurt worse, but those incidents are rare. I can't use the jets, as they cause me pain. Do you find that to be a problem as well?

My PMD took me off of Savella and Nuvigil yesterday after I told him how many side effects I was experiencing. Now I'm trying Methocarbamol, to see if it helps.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
(female)

CherieAZ HB User
Smile Re: New to board: Pain meds for FM'ers

I don't use the hot tub every day, but when I do, I do use the jets. My doctor I had before I moved was a D.O. and he used to rub out the knots in my hip. If I sit with the jet in the right place the knot sometimes releases. I think that I just metabolize the medicine quicker or something like that. On that 3 day I was always in a lot of pain so my doctor changed it to every 2 days which does make a difference. I am on carisoprodol for muscle spasms but that's about it. I know I will have bad days and good days, and try not to do too much before I have to do something and am not in too much pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to CherieAZ:
cammieak (09-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to CherieAZ For This Useful Post:
cammieak (09-23-2012)
Reply Reply