It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
tanasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 50
tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User
Question Brain Fog and Memory problems

Today was a very hard day. I had such a lapse in memory that it not only embarrassed me, it scared me. A girl I know was pregnant and just had a baby a couple weeks ago. I saw her at a baby shower today and I asked her when her baby was due...even though I had seen and commented on all her baby's pictures on facebook recently. Once she told me that she had already had the baby, my memory rushed back to me and I was sooooo embarrassed. I seriously had completely forgotten. I went back to the bathroom and cried. It scares me to be so confused and forgetful. I get confused over what I have actually done and what I only thought about doing. I can't do math. I can't remember my shopping lists. I can't find the right words when talking with people and nothing ever comes out like I want it to. I stumble over words when reading stories to the kids. I can't even remember what I did yesterday sometimes. I guess they call it Brain Fog but it really scares me. And it makes me feel really stupid and out of control. My mind was so quick before but now I feel like I am sludging through a thick mud in my mind. Do any of you have this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tanasmom
catkaru (09-23-2012), xSky (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 860
WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

I also struggle with brain fog. It can be scary at times. Why is it we can remember some things as clear as day ,yet other times things leave the mind like they had wings.
I wish there was something that can be done, but other than making tons of notes (then forgetting to look or the get lost) I haven't come up with much to help it.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
ladybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,907
ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

I have had severe brain fog, and actually took an Alzheimers med for several years, which really helped. I also find color coding things helps me a lot. For some reason, I can remember the color my note is written on even if I don't remember what it says. I would also encourage you to pursue looking for evidence of lupus. Many people with lupus (70%) have cognitive dysfunction, and many get diagnosed with fibromyalgia early on or instead of even looking for it. Even if you've been checked for it before, keep checking, yearly at least. I would see a rheum if you haven't, and a neurologist to check for other things that can cause memory problems. Even B12 deficiency, easy to treat, can affect memory and be measured in blood. Namenda is the Rx of choice is this is lupus related.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
boobootwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: london, ontario, canada
Posts: 211
boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasmom View Post
Today was a very hard day. I had such a lapse in memory that it not only embarrassed me, it scared me. A girl I know was pregnant and just had a baby a couple weeks ago. I saw her at a baby shower today and I asked her when her baby was due...even though I had seen and commented on all her baby's pictures on facebook recently. Once she told me that she had already had the baby, my memory rushed back to me and I was sooooo embarrassed. I seriously had completely forgotten. I went back to the bathroom and cried. It scares me to be so confused and forgetful. I get confused over what I have actually done and what I only thought about doing. I can't do math. I can't remember my shopping lists. I can't find the right words when talking with people and nothing ever comes out like I want it to. I stumble over words when reading stories to the kids. I can't even remember what I did yesterday sometimes. I guess they call it Brain Fog but it really scares me. And it makes me feel really stupid and out of control. My mind was so quick before but now I feel like I am sludging through a thick mud in my mind. Do any of you have this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Thanks
tanasmom...i know exactly what you're going through and it can be very scary as we tend to think of dimentia right away. not sure how old you are, but i'm 56 and have had some pretty bad bouts of brain fog. sometimes it totally flusters me and other times, i try to laugh at it. i worked as a cashier at a grocery store for almost a year...and do you think i could still remember all of the codes...nooooooo....lol. i find that trying not to take it so seriously, does help. it's brain fog....happens in menopause, fibro and other disorders too. sometimes i end up with a migraine too and my doc said that it could be a migraine that is causing it. migraines don't have to be painful. sometimes they can just scramble things up in the brain. the feeling is spaced out, can't hold any one thought, feelings of unreality and sometimes even feeling bogged up in the head, sinuses or whatever it is that causes the fogginess feeling. i remember this one time that i was on the highway and drove into this severe blanket fog...really scary, but the funny thing was that, that feeling i was having was exactly how i feel when i have the brain fog. really eerie. just thank god that we don't have this feeling consistently and like i said before....don't look at it as scary...just try to laugh at it. call it a brain fart or whatever when it happens around people. if you feel it's way too uncomfortable, a nice solution is to run a bubble bath and go soak it away. sometimes relaxation is the best when you find it intolerable. hope this helps and know that you're not the only one that suffers with this. hang in there. you can do it!

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to boobootwo:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to boobootwo For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 382
mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

This used to happen every now and then to me but the last 6 months it is a every day occurrence. I feel like I have alzheimers.

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to mom477:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mom477 For This Useful Post:
xSky (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
boobootwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: london, ontario, canada
Posts: 211
boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom477 View Post
This used to happen every now and then to me but the last 6 months it is a every day occurrence. I feel like I have alzheimers.
you could also be suffering from the anxiety associated with what you're feeling and that would give pretty much the same symptoms. don't diagnose yourself sweetie, because somtimes you can convince yourself that you are more ill than you are. try to stay positive. talk to your gp and see what they say about it. just wanted to note on something....your typing is good...no typo's, which i have to go back and check all the time because of my fog, so i'd say that you're not doing as bad as you think. get your mind off of the feeling you're having and do something that you enjoy. the less you think about it....the more it won't matter. keep busy!

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boobootwo For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
catkaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 481
catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

Hi Tanasmom, I have a lot of brain fog. The other morning I was saying goodbye to my 2 mo old Grandaughter and totally messed up her name. I was not even close! I am constantly calling my Daughter's BF by the wrong name. It is also interferring with my job. I just forget so many things. Right now I am on 90 day probation and it does not look good. I wish I could just go on SSD. I went to my priamry and passed the memory exam as well. Go figure. I will be 59 in December and have alzheimers in the family. It realy scares me sometimes. I can totaly understand your anxiety about it. have you had your vitamin D checked? I think we should all have that checked. I take 15000 cc's (not sure of abreviate) of D once a week. I have tried postit's and constanly my family is reminding me of things I forgot. Hang in there Kiddo. I do know that online games are suggested to help memory as well.

Low pain All,
__________________
CAT

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catkaru For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 382
mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Brain Fog and Memory problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobootwo View Post
you could also be suffering from the anxiety associated with what you're feeling and that would give pretty much the same symptoms. don't diagnose yourself sweetie, because somtimes you can convince yourself that you are more ill than you are. try to stay positive. talk to your gp and see what they say about it. just wanted to note on something....your typing is good...no typo's, which i have to go back and check all the time because of my fog, so i'd say that you're not doing as bad as you think. get your mind off of the feeling you're having and do something that you enjoy. the less you think about it....the more it won't matter. keep busy!
I wasnt saying I have alzheimers and I know I don't have it. It was more of an analogy more than anything. Oh I have plenty of typos. I use the net on my phone and it has the auto correct and there has been plenty of times I miss typos. You would see it of you looked at every post Ive written. No anxiety here. I actually use humor alot when it comes to my memory/brain fog and everything else I deal with.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Funny brain fog story!!! djl Fibromyalgia 40 08-28-2010 04:41 PM
Brain fog question lynn41 Fibromyalgia 12 05-25-2008 07:46 AM
Abnormal brain scan miz1956 Fibromyalgia 7 01-31-2008 10:27 AM
short term memory loss MissHelen Fibromyalgia 5 01-24-2006 05:56 AM
Memory loss? angelbc Fibromyalgia 7 08-21-2005 11:37 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Ambien
Cymbalta
Effexor
Elavil
Flexeril
  Neurontin
Percocet
Tylenol
Ultram
Vicodin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



bluelakelady (370), WoodsWalker (132), thefarm (111), Glojer (103), tooolgrl (94), biogirl71 (88), janewhite1 (85), kirstee (60), monalisa24 (55), tmrots (41)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (905), Titchou (848), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!