It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

Merlot M HB User
Sugar and Inflamation

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 10 years ago.
For 9 long years I battled pain and fatigue and struggled to maintain my sanity ;-)

Around the middle of last year, I had an epiphany. My colleague and I were working on a premise that Sugar in the grasses causes inflammation in the muscles of horses.
We saw amazing results in movement and overall temperament when horses were taken off high sugar grass diets.

One day it dawned on me (DUH) that perhaps, even though I did not consider that I ate a diet high in sugars,(never drank sodas rarely ate sweets) it would be interesting to try cutting sugar out of my diet. This meant no fruit juice, white or refined carbs etc.

I white knuckled it through the first couple of weeks - as sugar IS addictive - but made it with the help of Chromium tablets to balance out sugar highs and lows after eating.

Anyhoo, 6 weeks on, the pain I had suffered morning and night started to ease considerably. Now, around 8 months later, I am in better health (apart from a sodding broken foot (Yes I started another thread for THAT one)LOL) than I have been for years. NO fibro pain, no exhaustion. It is incredible.

I am convinced now, that sugar is a poison and can't urge you enough to take a good look at your diet and have a go. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Sugar and Inflamation

good post and good for you! there have been studies done on the affects of sugar on the body and you are right, processed sugars are very unhealthy.
unfortunatly i cannot quit sugar. it's the only thing that keeps weight on me. i have other junk too in my health cornucopia. i did give up all sodas and processed sugars. i do my best to only eat organic sugars and candy with organic contents.
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 09-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

Merlot M HB User

Thanks Bluelakelady,

there are other foods you can eat to avoid losing weight.
Sugar is sugar whether it is processed or organic or not - it all has the same reaction in our bodies.
Sugar - which is a carbohydrate comes in many forms - white breads, crackers, fruit juice, honey, fructose, glucose, sucrose etc etc it's all sugar and all incredibly damaging.
Being organic makes no difference. Also it is very very hard to find any processed food that does not contain sugar...EVEN some peanut butter has it!!! You have READ labels and be very very careful.
I urge you to try to eat a diet high in complex carbs, vegetables, nuts, meat, eggs, unsweetened yoghurt etc
The first couple of weeks are pretty hard but now I don't even THINK about having a biscuit when out for coffee with friends and I certainly don't put sugar in my coffee any more (THAT was a hard one to get used to, but now I think I wouldn't even like the taste)
I could go on and on about how this has changed my life and NO DOCTOR even suggested this might be an answer!!!
Sorry to rave on, just hope that someone else tries this and gets the same relief that I have...it is SOOOO very worth it!!!
For me I have the choice - Eat sugar and suffer intense pain and fatigue or think about what I am eating and grab something else and have energy and NO pain...seems pretty simple when I put it like that doesn't it! ;-)

Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you are so sweet and i thank you for your words. i have no appetite. i do not eat. if it were not for my brother cooking and reminding me to eat i'd be a shadow. i have another health thing that causes me not to know hunger. i am a vegetarian when i eat. no processed or packaged foods. seldom eat breads or things like peanut butter. gettting me to eat is like pulling hens teeth. aint happening.
i had to choose sugar as it is the only thing that keeps me above 110 and i am 5'5". when i quit it for 3 months i went down to 108. i hope others read your post also who can eat. giggle. again thank you so much for your kind concern and desire to help me.
for myself the choice was waste away to nothing and have less pain or eat the sugar and at least look healthy even if it hurts. we all have a different path to follow. i love that part of life.
peace,
blue

Reply Reply