It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
(female)

Elmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB User
Annoyed with rheumy's office!!

I was started on nortriptyline about 2 weeks ago. After a week I called to ask when I should start feeling some relief because I wasn't told that and my pain was worse than ever. It took them 2 days to call back and tell me to double my dosage. I did for 2 days and then the sleepiness was HORRIBLE! I lay down with my children to give them a nap and I was the only one who fell asleep!! I mean conked out and dreaming. And they are 2 and 3. NOT OK!! So I called them again yesterday morning and left a message saying I wanted to talk about my medication. I hear back at 5 til 5 and the assistant says the doctor wants me to double my dosage. Huh? How is that going to help? The assistant ASSUMED I was complaining the med wasn't working again and that is the message the doctor received. I explained to the assistant that wasn't why I was calling and she told me to just try it on the weekend or something when I had help. This makes NO sense to me since 20 mg had me falling asleep way too quickly and left me way too often. Not even an explanation as to whether or not the fatigue will pass. I guess she just didn't want to admit her mistake to the doctor. IDK.

What should I do now? I feel like such a pest calling again today. But I don't feel comfortable taking this medication and the only other option is to not take anything. I have for sure thought about going med free but I think I would at least TRY to see if something is going to help. I really like my doctor but I'm not crazy about her nurse. She didn't even call me about the 1st med increase I had to call them and ask if the doctor had made any recommendations. A different woman tells me "oh, the dr wanted you to start taking 2, didn't you get a call?"

What would you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Annoyed with rheumy's office!!

hi,
i would make another appt. i'd quit the pills and tell doc i did. i would tell the doc about the nurse and my experience. i would tell the nurse not to ever call me again and i would tell the doc from now on only you call me doc. if that did not resolve the issue i would find another doc with a better staff.
i would go get some otc meds to get me thru till i saw my doc. tho i would be demanding and see the doc today. if you are willing to sit and wait often the doc can squeeze you in. sometimes in the past with staff like you are dealing with i just walked in the door and said i am here to see the doc. i will be sitting over there. squeeze me in, thank you.
you asked what i would do. glad you did not ask me what you should do. giggle.
your body does not like this med. please quit.
peace,
blue

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I agree 100% with Blue - ultimately you are paying your Drs wages!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, I took that drug years ago to help w my migraines plus I have fibro. But I only took it at night. You didn't say what MG they started you on? My suggestion is to start on the lowest dose possible and to only take it at night time and slowly move up to avoid the side effects. I'd probably take it around 8 pm so I wouldn't feel to groggy in the am.

now as far as the nurses, yeah they totally messed up. but I was just trying to help you out w/ that med because lots of the meds we have to take work that way and you have to be careful how you start out on them, the drs don't realize it half the time I don't think.

I would make an appt w/ the dr. and talk to him/her about starting on the lowest dose and just taking it at night and see what they say. good luck Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 10-02-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
(female)

Ha! yes, i did ask what you would do. And your answer is hilarious because that is exactly what my husband said we should do! Go into the office and say "since I can't get messages through to the doc the way I intended, I'm here to deliver them myself!"

Me, I'm not that tough. I have yet to call them because I am a chicken, lol.

And I did stop taking the med. The same day that I fell asleep on my poor babies! I was only taking it at night and I started on 10mg. I'm not sure if this is the lowest dose or not. But then a week later started taking 2 (20 mg). I was then instructed to take 50 mg when I called to tell them I didn't want to take it anymore. grrr... I didn't so much feel groggy, I mean I was a LITTLE more sleepy than normal but it was more that I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. A deep sleep. Before taking this medicine I was always aware of my children's every breath. On it, not so much.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

take hubby with you??? sounds like he is a lot like me. take it on and get it done. learning to be your own advocate is very important. what can they do to you for you to have fear? nothing. remember the world is full of doctors. you can always pick a new one.
i was a shy one when i was small. my daddy told me to imagine people sitting on the toilet in the morning with sleep gunk in their eyes going poop. works every time! giggle. tho i often have to explain why i am laughing. that's the best part. telling them what my daddy said. giggle.
yea, i'm a brat. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
(female)

Oh my goodness!!! I will have to try that. lol. I admit I do get terribly intimidated. My husband is definitely one to speak his mind. He's brutally honest and doesn't take crap. I am going to try the phone one more time. I would hate to drive over an hour one way each time I need to get a message to my doctor because her nurse is incompetant!! Well, I called yesterday after posting my message and left a message that I did not feel comfortable upping the dosage when I was having problems on the lower dose. Of course, I didn't get a call back until this morning. She pretty much said that I was misleading in my message and had called to ask exactly what the problem was. Grrr.... I told her exactly what the problem was when she told me to start taking 50 mg. And I don't know how "please call me because I have a problem with my medication" is misleading. She ASSUMED I was going to say it wasn't working and then had to cover her own butt by first telling me to go ahead and take it and then making it my fault. She couldn't have gone back to the doc and said "oh, btw, I didn't bother to find out what this girl really has to say so, I got it wrong." Oh well. Hopefully, they will have some helpful advice when she calls back. Luckily ever since the other evening when I was hurting head to toe, I haven't felt too bad. I do have tramadol to help but I would really rather get started on something that will maybe prevent a little of the pain. I don't know. I'm such a wimp.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
(female)

Poookie HB User

You are not a wimp! I feel like that sometimes as well but seriously, anyone who had to deal with constant pain would understand. I have explained away so many of my symptoms for so long and felt like I was apologizing every time I saw my doctor. No more! I hurt, I'm tired of hurting and it's depressing! Speak up for yourself because no one else will do it for you! Good luck!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
(female)

Thanks Poookie! And you described me to a T. I always feel guilty for going to the doctor and then I only went when I couldn't stand it any longer. Even when I called this nurse back I was apologizing over and over for the misunderstanding. IT WAS HERS!! Oh well. They are switching me to Cymbalta. Maybe that will work better for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elmbabies3 For This Useful Post:
Agenda (10-13-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

so you did get results? hope the cymbalta helps you. i remember beating the i'm sorry bit to death. now i only say it if i am wrong or in empathy.
peace,
blue
exwimpyoldchick, giggle.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Brookietrip (10-05-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
(female)

bluelakelady-
Someday I'm gonna be signing exwimpyoldchick#2!!! HA!!

I LOVE your positive attitude and am currently trying to be more like you I am very newly diagnosed and still trying to deal with the fact I can't swallow a magic pill and it will all go away. (A hope I was holding on to until the big D was finally made) BUT- I WILL accept it, and move on and live harmoniously with fibro the rest of my life. Besides, I don't have the strength or energy to fight it, right? And it could be so much worse...

The following user gives a hug of support to Elmbabies3:
Kaseyjcf (10-04-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

blush, thank you. you are right, fighting it just makes it worse. attitude is everything. giggle, i remember the magic pill phase! i can look back now and laugh about it, but oh at the time i was really bummed out they had no magic pill.
now i am so glad they don't. i would have missed out on learning so many precious lessons about life and joy.
peace,
blue

Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
(female)

Round 2!!!

So I was prescribed Cymbalta over a week ago. The pharmacy sent a request for prior auth back to the doctor's office. The nurse sent the request to the insurance office and we waited.

I FINALLY get a call from the nurse yesterday and she says that the medicine has been denied because I have no coverage with the specialty pharmacy that my walmart uses. I had no idea what all that meant and the nurse said she didnt either. She recommended I call the insurance company myself and told me she didn't know what else to tell me.

I call the insurance company today and they say that 1.Cymbalta is not a specialty drug 2. with our plan and the pharmacy we use it shouldn't be denied and 3. All that is needed is a medical review which involves this nurse to call and answer a couple of questions.

This is so frustrating!! My actual rheumatologist is so sweet and caring and (I feel) competant. Her assisstant frustrates me to no end. I am torn between finding another doctor and actually talking to this one about the issues I am having. I am so non confrontational. But there are things that make me think that the doc has hangups too. My 1st appt she apologized for all the nonsense going on.(I am assuming because of the wait I had and then she had to leave the room 2 or 3 times to get things) And she looked annoyed. My second appt she told me my vit D was low and said "Well, I am sure we called you about that" They hadn't. So I kinda feel like I should say something. Ugh!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

hey girl,
i'm gonna say something that is not very lady like. grow a pair! you can do this! you pay them for good service so demand it. go see your doc again and tell what's going on. my doc calls herself and not her nurses. ask your doc to call the ins co or pharmacy or whatever. tell her the nurse rides a broom. doctors need to know those things and if we don't tell, who will?
i have gotten 2 fired personally and the doctor thanked me. so did the rest of the staff. giggle. one rode an industrial size broom. giggle. we got into it.
peace,
blue

Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
(female)

Grow a pair. CHECK!!! Will do first thing Monday morning. Ha!!

I KNOW you are right. I really do. And I AM going to address this. IF I do decide to run away and find a different doctor it will be AFTER I bring these issues to light with the doctor.

Reply Reply